For those using Google+ important information

As from 16 june, google will not allow us to log into google+ and other google sites if we’d registered with an email address that’s not a gmail address. So that means me I use my virginmedia email address to set up my google+ account. It says we can edit our email which I’ve tried to do I’ve entered in my gmail address however google+ gives me this message 'GMAIL IS NOT A VALID PRMIMARY EMAIL ADDRESS" ugg so it look like I’m about to loose access to my google+. Any one else aware of this situation because if you have signed up to google+ with a non gmail account then from the 16th of june 2014 you will be stuffed. :frowning:

As you won’t be able to log into your google+ account to use it.

It does say we can open another google+ account but it will have to be in another name.

The first I heard was annocement from virgin media website then an email from virgin media. Not all email providers are alerting their users btw. But google have informed the major email providers.

1 Like

I have a gmail address but I wasn’t aware of this. I don’t ever remember been notified of this.
That’s a pain for those who haven’t a gmail address including yourself.

Pauline

Noooooo, is there any way of changing this? I was never told of this.

I’m still trying to change my email address in my google+ account

I just done it, and it was very simple, just type up gmail and when you go to sign in it will tell you that you already have an alternative account and then at the top it will ask you to make it into a gmail account, so you just go a head and type in a name that suits you and there you have your gmail account.
Hope I make sense lol I knnow I can babble on, forgive me lol.

Just tried again and my google+ account will not accept my gmail address when edit it in my google+ profile. I just tried I got as far as save and the same message came up Sorry, a Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account.

I’m so fed up with google+

I already have a gmail email address however it’s google+ that will not let me use that gmail email address as the email address to my google+ account.

I know when it comes to the 16th and I try to sign into google+ to add more photo’s from my folksy items it will not let me sign in and I’ll no longer have access.

I’ll just have to open a new google+ account with a new name and my gmail email address.

Sorry to hear your having a hard time Eileen, what does it say when you try to set it up?

I have a google+ account that I’ve been using now for months.

I have a gmail address which I don’t use.

I set up my google+ account with my business email ie my virginmedia email.

I need to remove my virginmedia email address from my google+ account and replace it with my gmail email address.

My google+ account let me hit edit email address but when I try to save it with my new gmail email address I get this message “Sorry, a Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account.”

So annoying because if it doesn’t save it means as of 16th I’ll no longer be able to access my Google+ account any more so I won’t be able to use it to promote my folksy account grrrrr

I had the same thing, I done mine with hotmail though but it still allowed me to set up another name and have my hotmail as an alternative one, have you tried emailing Gmail???

oh I’d not thought of emailing gmail mmmm I wonder how I might do that I’ll investigate tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

No probs hope everything works out, let me know x

mmm have been thinking it’s not gmail that’s the problem it’s google+ so I’m now trying to find out how to contact them.

Urgh… I use my shop name for all the google stuff, apart from gmail! Now it’s telling me someone’s taken my name. I have a feeling it’s me!

1 Like

I hope you can get it sorted bojanlies.

In the end although I got all the notications of the email problem that was suppose to have happen last june 2014 I didn’t in the end have any problems and didn’t have to do anything about the fact my google+ account is still using my business email address and not a gmail email address. It seems they changed their minds again. I think Google+ at the time where worried about security issues but it got solved.