If you could share one tip with new sellers, what would it be?

Yes, I agree. I try to use a normal-sized pen or pencil in at least one of my book photos, so it is obvious what the size of the item is. They can all look the same size in the photos, so that is a good guide for the customer. As Nifty says, it’s not always obvious from the measurements - they’re useful, but customers don’t necessarily grasp a real idea of size from that reference only. With my books (as my best example!), I can say “it’s about A4 size” and most Folksy customers will know what I mean. Combined with measurements and a pen/pencil in one of the photos, I hope they will be sure what to expect (it is disappointing if something turns out so much smaller than we expect - or even if it’s too big!).

A4 is another of those obvious measurements that Americans don’t know - they use something else!

I read somewhere that a buyer bought dollshouse miniatures of something or other and thought they’d be full size. shows how good the modelling was!

1 Like

In USA the nearest equivalent to A4 is 8.5" x 11". They call it “Letter Size”.

My one tip would be to learn how to do your accounts properly. Your accounts show you the health of your business and it can be very surprising how your expenses add up. You need to regularly do your accounts so that you are aware of what needs improving, e.g. can you cut costs, are you charging enough? Which products are giving the best margins? etc.

14 Likes

Lovely quote and so true. Be yourself and your work will shine!

4 Likes

Photos are so important- my first ones were terrible and I used a patterned background so my detail didn’t show up, but I listened to other sellers and changed them. The photo has to entice the buyer because they can’t physically touch it. Daylight is best :smile:

6 Likes

Yep, like Chicita, I read this a few years ago and it has always stuck with me. It’s probably one of the most important things I read when I was starting out.

Beware the day spent on the Folksy forums! And any other media, come to that. It’s a difficult balance to strike, especially when your business is online, but time spent away from the laptop means time spent making. Time spent making means products to list. Products to list mean things for customers to buy, which is the aim of the game.

It’s obvious really, but I know I’ve fallen into the trap of being ‘all post and no product’ from time to time. There’s no point shouting about your shop in every corner of the internet if your shop is empty when people go visit it!

12 Likes

yes! we’ve all read posts from people who are surprised at the end of the year to find they’ve made either no profit or even a loss.

That sounds like me.

I have been selling since December. Nothing has sold via Folksy but I have sold to friends of friends so I am sure my pictures can’t be that bad. Is this normal?

Anybody have any tips on promoting yourself?

I can’t decide whether it is better to sell just the picture in a mount or sell as a complete framed item.

Any tips would be very gratefully recieved.

1 Like

Create a ‘branding’ for your items that makes them unique. Think about what sort of image you are trying to create. Try to package your items in the same way, have matching business cards, use a familiar colour scheme, add a little logo label to every item - make your items stand out as being yours and something a bit different - and most of all have fun and enjoy every moment of what you do. If people can see that you really care about the things that you make, then they will come back again and again. Martine x

4 Likes

I have only started out selling my stuff online, this thread is great. I am going to re-read this to be sure I am on the right track :smiley:

7 Likes

Wow I love this and is s true. I’m working hard and obviously at that “I’m not good enough” stage. This saying will make me work harder and that I’m not the only one. Thanks :smile:

4 Likes

Hi, one tip that I would share is this- learn quickly that not every one will like your work or style. This is initially hard to deal with when selling face to face. Hang on in there, because when people like your work and buy your work- you will feel on top of the world !
I remember spotting a lady in town, wearing earrings that I had made. I was so excited I spoke to her and her comments were amazing.

3 Likes

Oooohh one tip that is hard. Probably: if this one venture doesn’t become a huge success for you, at least it will give you a taste for self employment. If you like all the business side of things (though probably not as much as the creating bit, but you do not get anxiety attack and break a sweat at the though of doing admin) you can try your hand at other things. The millionaires club is full of failures.

3 Likes

Post orders as soon as you can … speedy delivery always goes down well …

8 Likes

invest in one of these (or ask the ladies in the post office very nicely for one, which is how I got mine)
They can save you a fortune :smile:

10 Likes

have great clear photographs and have a buisiness plan! it generally works.

3 Likes

This thread is so useful - I’ve just created an account on here and this is all good stuff!! :slight_smile:

Many thanks xSx

3 Likes