If you could share one tip with new sellers, what would it be?

Create a ‘branding’ for your items that makes them unique. Think about what sort of image you are trying to create. Try to package your items in the same way, have matching business cards, use a familiar colour scheme, add a little logo label to every item - make your items stand out as being yours and something a bit different - and most of all have fun and enjoy every moment of what you do. If people can see that you really care about the things that you make, then they will come back again and again. Martine x

4 Likes

I have only started out selling my stuff online, this thread is great. I am going to re-read this to be sure I am on the right track :smiley:

7 Likes

Wow I love this and is s true. I’m working hard and obviously at that “I’m not good enough” stage. This saying will make me work harder and that I’m not the only one. Thanks :smile:

4 Likes

Hi, one tip that I would share is this- learn quickly that not every one will like your work or style. This is initially hard to deal with when selling face to face. Hang on in there, because when people like your work and buy your work- you will feel on top of the world !
I remember spotting a lady in town, wearing earrings that I had made. I was so excited I spoke to her and her comments were amazing.

3 Likes

Oooohh one tip that is hard. Probably: if this one venture doesn’t become a huge success for you, at least it will give you a taste for self employment. If you like all the business side of things (though probably not as much as the creating bit, but you do not get anxiety attack and break a sweat at the though of doing admin) you can try your hand at other things. The millionaires club is full of failures.

3 Likes

Post orders as soon as you can … speedy delivery always goes down well …

8 Likes

invest in one of these (or ask the ladies in the post office very nicely for one, which is how I got mine)
They can save you a fortune :smile:

10 Likes

have great clear photographs and have a buisiness plan! it generally works.

3 Likes

This thread is so useful - I’ve just created an account on here and this is all good stuff!! :slight_smile:

Many thanks xSx

3 Likes

Very sound advice . Im new to Folksy and my one tip would be ; to read all of the above and all of the below. This is the best" talk topic" I have found for help with my new venture here on Folksy.
Thanks all :smiley:
Natalie, Happy crafting

2 Likes

yes it does you always get a good responce.

Hi everyone! I am also new to folksy and have just read this thread. Some lovely quotes and helpful tips and advice. If anyone of u would like to give me some feedback on my shop pics I would really appreciate it :slight_smile: also when some of u mention to put your work forward and advertise it do u mean to follow other folksy users so they get introduced and see it? I’m forever using my twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest accounts to broadcast my work. I also rent a space in a shop in a busy town in Wadebridge Cornwall where I showcase a bit of all of what I do… Ie cards, prints & originals. I’ve made two sales since joining two weeks ago :slight_smile: it’s a lovely feeling selling online. I’ve not made any sales on etsy as yet… Appreciate any further tips or advice. Thank you xx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

*two sales since joining folksy two weeks ago… My sales are good in the shop I am in to :slight_smile: it’s called Winifred and Mabel if any if u are interested in checking it out to? Twitter @winifredandmabe Also on Facebook WinifredandMabel its a fab co-op of local crafts men and women showcasing and selling their work. There seem to be more of these shops popping up down here in Cornwall :slight_smile: every town should have one! :smiley:

Is this very normal to make lovely things and have no customers to start with?..I’m so glad I read all these comments…I felt very alone after doing another craft fair with absolutely no financial gain…I’ll stick at it!

5 Likes

Craft fairs in my experience can be very hit and miss… U have some lovely work in ur shop :slight_smile: defo stick at it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hehe, just discovered how to like posts!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! This is such a great subject I felt I had to post. The one thing I have learnt is it’s not just the item your selling but how you present it too. Really nice gift boxes, picture frames, ribbon and wrapping can all make a difference to your sales at craft fairs so it follows that they are important on here to. I’ve just bought some jewellery gift boxes as I’d like to start making some more artisan and therefore more expensive pieces. Hopefully the sales will follow :smile:

2 Likes

Andremakes ~ I comeplety agree with your post (this is my first ever message) i too have sold to friends however yet to receive a sale online. there are lots of good tips out there. Chin up we will get there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you love what you’ve made, keep believing it’s good. If it doesn’t sell go back to the drawing board and love the next idea… keep believing. Selling stuff is a lottery! Loving what you do is a great way to spend the day.

3 Likes