New 'About Me' section!

Congratulations Folksy! The About feature is a huge improvement! It’s so much more interesting to be able to get to know people and what makes them tick creatively. Having it all available on the same page makes it much easier. I’m enjoying flicking through checkig out what people are saying about themselves.

BTW I had to fiddle with the image I uploaded. I found it’s definitely better if you’re able to crop your pic so it’s short enough to show the beginning of your text beneath. It encourages people to scroll down further to read more. I did mine 700x485 pixels … but less then 485 would be even better probably.

2 Likes

That big blue box on my dashboard has been bugging me for a few days so I finally set up mine this morning. Is it just me who is mildly annoyed by the alignment? The empty gap on the left looks a bit wonky.

I also didn’t fancy the idea of such a large picture of myself so I compromised and made a collage with a bunch of different images. It might be an idea for anyone else who is also a little camera shy! I used Canva to make my collage (https://www.canva.com/) which was quite handy because I was able to set up a custom size so I could make the whole collage exactly 700 pixels wide.

Nice one Folksy :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks Dawn, thats very kind.

Just done mine too…thanks @folksycontent very nice new feature!

I am with the others on the alignment, visually it would look stronger centralised. Love popping through to get to know other folk & putting names to faces. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Sharon I use Picasa. It’s free software from Google. You can download it here https://picasa.google.co.uk/

If you need any help using it … just let me know :slight_smile:
Bee

Cheers Bee @StudioBeeArt, I’ll check it out :sunflower:

Just completed the ‘About Me’ section too! I might put a different photo in when I get round to it :smile: . Will have a nosey at everyone else’s over a coffee later too! x

Yes, I think it does look a bit odd stuck over there on the right… it looks much better on my phone without the gap on the left.
The line spacing also bugs me just a little bit… but I am super fussy :wink:

1 Like

I think it’s great and helps to create a professional look to the shop. I always want to know why people are making, what drives them. Thank you Folksy.

3 Likes

Ooh love ur montage, May try an do summit similar at weekend. Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

I love it. Thank you :blush:

Karen x

1 Like

I’ve noticed if you don’t have a lot of items in your shop it really takes over and looks weird.

When you have more items in your shop it look more in proportion

1 Like

I had to tweak mine again, I did it as a messy type pin board. I managed to do it on Picasa as I already have that on my laptop. It gets a bit addictive, wouldn’t be surprised if I do it again :smile: as others have said I don’t like the fact theres a large gap to the left !

Hi Camilla, I’ve quickly scanned the blog post, in which you mention what can be included under Buying From Me, but that section only allows 500 characters, which is extremely limiting. I would like to include a bit more detail about postage so that potential buyers know which service they are getting (especially as signed-for services to addresses abroad are rather expensive). Can we be given a bit more room here? It would take me ages to add it to all the items in my shop individually! (Previously, I had included it under the Meet the Maker, for want of a better option.) Many thanks.

That’s exactly what I thought I filled it all in only to find I had to delete most of it, so left it all on my about me page.

I also think it’s a good idea to put the social media icons at the bottom. Our name, About and Buying from me links are more visible and get more attention. Otherwise, all these social media icons and colors look very crowded.

We’re going to be moving the Buying From Me section soon, so instead of being a pop-up (which does limit the number of characters) it will move to the bottom of page, near the new About section and social links and won’t have a word limit any more. In the meantime, if you’ve got more you want to say, I think it’s fine to include it in the About section :slight_smile:

I think Buying from me should be more visible. It is important information about our shops and should be seen instead of looking for it. It should stay at the top where it is with the ability to add more text, such as Policies instead of adding them in the About page. If we have any important information next to social media buttons, viewers might be distracted and go straight to social media and don’t come back.

What we’re working on will be a button in the banner that says Shop Policies that shoppers can click on and that will take them to a new section (on the same page) where they can see a shop’s important information like delivery method, custom order info, returns and refunds etc - without any word limits. The placement on the page isn’t fixed yet, so it could go above the social buttons, or above the About section.

3 Likes

Completed mine today ,looks great ,easy to follow instructions ,thank you folksy :smile:

1 Like