New 'About Me' section!

I’m glad you said that - thought it was only me. The 2nd half of mine is far more appropriate under the Buying from me but 500 is far too short for that.
xx

1 Like

Thanks. That will be better :slight_smile:

Camilla @folksycontent, doug @dougfolksy - not sure if its just me but the about feature only seems to work if you are on someones shop front - if you are in one of their categories or in sold items then although the shop banner with the about button is visible it doesn’t do anything!

1 Like

No, its not just you, Roz. Have just tried it and found the same.

I’ve copied my old text into the new box, but I’m not going to waste any more time until the page layout is finished, and I can figure out what the customer will see where.

Currently it seems we have Returns policy additions in Shop Settings, as well as Buying from me in Shop Appearance. There is a Tagline in Shop Appearance as well as a Header sentence in the new About. There’s a Banner and an Image. It’s all too much gumf! I just want people to SEE MY PRODUCTS that I’m trying to sell.

Sorry, I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see how this was a programming priority ahead of updates we have asked for e.g. item variations.

2 Likes

Could someone please check my ‘‘about you’’ page for me?
It’s mainly the photo - I was in a hurry and ignored the pixel/landscape guidelines and put a portrait sized photo in instead.
It seems to view fine for me, but as the blurb stated that photos outside the format given would be squashed and stretched, I just wanted to check that I haven’t been squashed and stretched and am completely oblivious to it :slight_smile:

Thankyou!

Sarah x

You look perfectly proportioned to me, Sarah! Lovely photo!
It’s quite a big image, though, so takes up a lot of the screen, and I need to scroll down to know that there is any text underneath. I decided to go for a ‘short and wide’ image for my shop, just a shorter version of my banner, so people see there is text beneath and may be more likely to read it.

Thank you :slight_smile:
I’ll crop a smaller one in its place tonight xx

Love this - great that people can scroll down and see all your social media links ! If you fancy a look you can see me in my Imogen’s Imagination Witty Dawn hat xxx

2 Likes

Thanks for spotting that and flagging it up Roz. We’ll get that fixed as soon as possible.

1 Like

Must admit I was a bit sceptical of the change at first, particularly when I realised the social media icons had moved. However, how wrong was I. Love this update. The fact that people are drawn to reading about the great talents here on folksy without having to click onto a different page, which I guess most people just don’t do. Can’t wait for further updates.

1 Like

So I have just updated my about me section and come to have a nosey at this thread, love that some of you have put a photo of yourselves…might change my picture! Anyone fancy a nosey at my about me section and let me know what you think :thinking: p.s im not very photogenic :wink:

Hi Caroline @SimplyHammered I like your About Me text very much. It’s got a nice balance of chattiness and information. One of the good things about selling/buying here is that feeling of personal connection. So I think adding a photo of yourself would definitely be a plus.

Photos in landscape format, with sides as short as possible, seem to work well, because they allow the top of your About Me writing to show. Personally, I always get tempted to scroll down to know more LOL! But then I’m just nosey :wink:
Bee

1 Like

Thanks Bee @StudioBeeArt, good idea about the photo, I will give that a go, thanks for the comments

1 Like

:grinning:

will go & have a snoop

I’ve FINALLY got round to filling in my About Me section! :tada: If anyone fancies having a peruse, any feedback would be most gratefully received. (The photo is just temporary until I can get round to taking a better one.)

That picture is great, Helen.

1 Like

Thanks Camilla. I’m planning on sticking with something similar but with a few more bits and pieces in it (and slightly better focussed - hopefully).

So I get back to this country and discover these developments (yay) only to realise that my workshop is set up for practicality rather than photogenicity and there is no way I’m using the photos of me looking sweaty half way up a mountain. Maybe if I use the wide angle lens and stand on my computer desk…

2 Likes

I too have finally had the time to complete the new About Me section on Folksy and decided upon a collage of images! I was a little unsure at first, but it all worked really well. It was surprisingly simple - so thank you Folksy!!