Photos in my shop

How are the photos in my shop which ones are better? Gabrielle.

I find photos the hardest part of posting jewellery. Sometimes I feel I spend more time on the photo than the piece.
There is a thread were you can ask people for help. I’ll go find it

You can get help from other folksy people on here.

Has your camera got a ‘macro’ setting (usually shown with a small tulip-like flower symbol) if so try using this for close ups it helps with the focus also have you tried using a tripod or propping your camera on a box or pile of books to help keep it still. Personally I prefer the paler backgrounds as I think your rings blend in a bit with the gravel. Good Luck and keep at it, I’ve been on here 3 years and still struggle with photographs sometimes :slight_smile:

I’ll ask the stupid question first then get onto the subject of depth of field… what’s a ‘sea diamond’? You’ve used in in several listings but its not something I’ve come across before, customers might appreciate an explanation. Also check your spellings of the other gemstones.
And so on to depth of field - I still have problems with this and its the reason that the small bit at the front of the picture is in focus and the rest is blurry. You might be able to force your camera to increase the depth of field but this will increase the exposure so might not be workable if you are hand holding it (rather than using a tripod). My other half (who takes much better photos than me but refuses to take mine for me) gave me this advice ’ move the camera back and zoom in more’ might be worth a try as it has worked for me on occasion.
Pale back grounds are best, when photographing silver I’ve found that a pale grey is better than white for exposure purposes, I also recommend the use of reflectors to lighten shadows (bit of white card or tin foil works well) and diffusers (bit of muslin over the light source) to get rid of glare/ bright spots useful.
Stevie’s comment about having a square crop is a very good one - your earrings have had bits chopped off when you look at them in your shop front. Picasa has a square crop option so you don’t have to approximate it.
Something is wrong with the photos of the last 3 rings, a sapphire one in particular, they look very grainy, the second shot especially. Not sure what has caused this - possibly too much zooming in on the photo after it was taken or it was saved as a low res image and has been over processed.
Hope that’s helpful.
Sasha

Hi yes Its the camera I am also a bad very bad photographer!! will try to do again. Maybe I should have some photo lessons!! Thank you for the advice. My camera is a Fuji film one not the best. Sea diamonds are from the sea near Nambia in South West Africa.
Regards Gabrielle.

i had to laugh today when I read theses comments will try again to take more pictures. Best Gabrielle.

oh dear well I will try a light box but will have to do it for the hole day then maybe tomorrow. Thats the end of my walk I guess! :smiley:

I have been re taking my photos I’m hoping the ones I have done are better.
Photos are the bane of my life.
I think they are the bane of most peoples on here.
I know there is a blog done by folksy with photo advice.

1 Like

I think I agree with you my father was a profesional photographer and honestly I wish he was still alive.Hope you have a super afternoon.

I prefer your photographs with the gravel background, it gives them more depth. I agree with everyone here with reference to taking photographs and the time spent trying to get them half way decent.

Yes I like the gravel to it makes them more shiny. Have a lovely evening and thank you for the advice. Best Gabrielle. You are all very kind on Folksy.

I too like the photographs with the gravel in the background. :smile:

1 Like