Pinterest 101 - getting started and getting the most out of it

Pinterest Boards

Louise @thestitchyroom - how do you move content from one account to another? I know you can move pins from board to board within an account, but didn’t realise you could do to across accounts. It would be great if I could, I have loads of on my private account I’d like to migrate over.

Or are you meaning you originally had one account with some public business baords, and some boards for you set as private?

3 Likes

Getting started

I am consious that we are all at totally different stages, and it will be frustrating to see loads of posts with advanced techniques on improving your SEO ( :roll_eyes:) or discussing relative merits of different promotion styles, when all you are trying to do is set up an account, or get the link on your pin to work.

So shout if you need anything.

3 Likes

Pinterest Boards
Sharon @TheOldButton I meant I had my personal and business accounts linked and then unlinked them.
However, to move content from one account to another you need to invite ‘yourself’ to collaborate with ‘yourself’!
I’m on a laptop and although I think you can do it on a phone the tabs/buttons may be in different places.
If it’s lots of pins you want to move rather than a board then you should add/copy them to a new board. You can set this board as private/hidden so it can’t be seen as it will still work.

So, log into the account you want to ‘move’ the board from.
Open that board and under the name/title of the board click the +person symbol.
This will open ‘invite collaborators’
Enter your other account’s name and send invite.
Log out of that account and log into the other one that you sent the invite to.
Open messages (top right bubble symbol) and accept the invite.
The shared board will now show in that account.
Now, if you shared it as a private board then it will still be a private board and you can’t change that in this account, but, you can share the pins from it to another board or repin to another new board and they won’t then be private.
Does that make sense?
Louise x

Edited to add;
To have your personal and business accounts linked then log into your personal account, click the small arrow top right hand side and then pick ‘add account’ you can then connect your business account to it.

3 Likes

Brilliant Louise, It does make sense and I’ll give it a go :smiley: I created a personal account board full of sewing tips (in collaboration with my daughter so I know how to do that part). Some of them would be perfect on my business account as I recently launched some sewing craft kits, but it’s hard work repinning them one by one!

3 Likes

Creating Pins I kept this link from a little while ago, found it useful for content and examples of pins Pinterest ads: creative best practices | Pinterest Business

3 Likes

thank you for doing this SHaron @TheOldButton
sadly it is too complicated for me in my old age…I am not even sure what an algorithm is…
I don’t think my pinterest is a business one either…I use it just to look for eye candy and inspiration . My painting these days is now a hobby and I have an exemption certificate from HMRC as my earnings are low…no longer self employed ( I made sure they sent it to me in writing !!
I hope it helps a lot of people though.

5 Likes

Brenda, I agree that it maybe overkill for a lot of folk to invest a lot of time into this, and it’s certainly not essential. For many of us, Pinterest can be a nice thing to use as we wish, without having to be on top of all the latest methods.

I’m lucky in that my business is also a hobby I can continue into my retirement, and although my OH jokes that he’s been waiting a long time for the first million to roll in (haha), it’s easy for me to just keep ticking along and putting more effort in when I feel like it (and less when the sun is shining in the garden). I do rather like this sort of stuff though - it’s my engineering and finance background - I need to know how and why something works.

And as you say, it could help a lot of people who are looking to maximise it’s use. :smiley:

3 Likes

Pinterest boards
Talking about having things you’ve saved that maybe you don’t want others to see in your business account, did you know that you can make boards ‘secret’, if you want to save things just for you to see. If you edit a board and scroll down, there’s a box you can tick saying ‘keep this board secret’. If you tick that it hides it from others, so you can only have things on show that are relevant to your business. I also do agree that it’s good to have some things saved from other sites which are relevant to your craft or to show your inspiration etc.

Also many thanks for setting up this thread, Sharon. I made a start on sorting out my pinterst after the webinar the other week but have stalled. So this might be the incentive to get into it again!

5 Likes

Business/personal accounts.
Thanks for setting this up, Sharon. It’s blowing my mind already. I will need to plod through and play around to work it out to best effect.
I have a query. Yesterday, after catching up on the Folksy Pinterest session, I changed my account to a business one. I decided that I would rather just have one account for ease but I will keep my random, personal boards private. I then pinned a couple of things. There now seems to be 2 categories: created and saved. The 2 new pins are in the created section and everything else is in the saved section. I have no idea why and what the difference is. Can anyone enlighten me?

2 Likes

Business/personal accounts
I noticed that too, about the ‘created’ and ‘saved’ sections. It shows the created pins in the saved section as well for me. I think it’s showing the pins I’ve created from scratch seprately from the pins I’ve saved from another site like from Folksy etc. I’ve only created four so there’s only four in that section.

2 Likes

Business/personal accounts and Creating pins

I think Judith @judyrowleyart is right - the created pins are those you set up manually (by uploading a picture and adding a link and description), and saved pins are those you have either re-pinned from someone else, or pinned directly from a website through the “pin this” button or “share” function (or right clicking etc).

When we pin from Folksy etc, It seems odd to us that we have only “saved” the pin rather than created it as it’s our own image we are using. But its because we don’t own the source (or domain). There is a way to change this if you have a business acoount - you can claim your website (domain) in your business account and then any pins you do from that site will be be “created”.

I haven’t done it yet as I’m not sure whether to claim my blog or my Folksy shop (I’m not sure you can have two), but I’ll update this when I have.

UPDATE - apparently you can claim as many websites as you like, but you must be the owner and able to access the source code.
Also, you can’t claim your Folksy shop- Folksy have confirmed this. But you can add a link to your shop in your profile - there’s a post explaining how further down.

I’m also not sure how much of a difference “claiming” makes, I need to research more…

2 Likes

I’m not sure that is right for the created/saved difference. I pinned a few of other Folksy sellers products yesterday and those are the things showing in the ‘created’ section. (They are also in the saved section). They weren’t made from scratch by me - I simply used the pin button as I have for everything else I’ve put on Pinterest. The only difference is that it is now a business account. The odd thing is that it seems, by default, to show me those few created pins. When I first looked I panicked as I thought my fiddling had lost everything! Then I saw the saved tab and realised everything else was still there. Phew!

2 Likes

The way I’ve got around this is to link any new pin I create to my blog and direct the reader to the links to my shops there in the header. I’m trying to use different links each time rather than just the home page - so I’ll use a link to a blog item relevant to the item I’m pinning, to use different addresses each time and not agitate the Pinterest algorithm, if indeed it does agitate it!

As much as I want to support Folksy, I no longer pin from either of my shops as that doesn’t help my own web site score with Google, which is my aim - I hope to open my own shop section there in the future and the more hits my domain has with Google, the better I’ll rank in search, if and when that day comes.

3 Likes

I’ve got a lot to learn here but one of the annoying things ive noticed is that we cannot claim our shop on Folksy as our website because we don’t own it. You can only claim a website if you own and manage it directly.

2 Likes

Creating Pins* Create or Save?

Following on from Roy/Corine’s reply yesterday, I did a bit more digging around this morning, and it is supposed to work as I’ve described it above. This is from the Pinterest help centre Created and saved content

And that’s how it works for me - on both my Business and personal accounts. I tested it this morning “pinned” items from both our shops using both my laptop and phone and they only appeared in “saved section”. But the pin I created from scratch appears on both “created” and “saved” tab .

I am using a web browser though. Are you doing pinning via the Folksy app?

I’m not surprised it behaving differently though for each of us though, I keep reading they are still tinkering with the programming and changes are not always rolled out to everyone at the same time :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Getting started

Sadly I think you are right. I thought we could as the lady doing the Folksy Pinterest recently said we should do it - but on rewatching the recording I can see she didn’t really explain how, just referred us to a link on the pdf. So I’m wondering if she was doing her usual presentation and hadn’t looked into whether it actually was possible for Folksy shops.

If we can’t link to Folksy, then I will claim my blog site. But it is frustrating for those that don’t have an alternative. Assuming claiming a domain is actually that important - I’m still not that certain it is for most of us.

Welcome everyone else’s input - has anyone managed to “claim” their Folksy shop. Or any other e-commerce shop yuo have?

UPDATE Folksy have confirmed you can’t claim your shop, but you can add a link in your profile - more info further down.

4 Likes

Getting Started

I did try to claim it a couple of months ago when I was watching the Pinterest’s videos for advertising, but had no luck. I think you cannot claim a secondary domain (not sure if I’m using the right term here, but what I mean is folksy .com can be claimed, but not folksy .com/shops/theslothscavern or whatever name of the shop). I haven’t got my own website unfortunately, it would be interesting to see if you can claim a shop that is created in shopify, godaddy, wix, etc…

3 Likes

I’m using the browser on my Macbook and also on the ipad. (Phone might need updating as it won’t let me pin anything!) I played around and thought I’d worked it out but then a pinned a few more things and they didn’t follow my theory of what was happening!
I don’t think I’ve ever ‘created’ a pin … something I have yet to work out how to do. I’ve only ever clicked on the pin button when I see something I want to remember and then chosen which board to add it to. It seems that a few things that I pinned from Folksy just after I changed my account to a business account have gone into the created section. Everything before and since is in the saved section. So I’m quite bemused by it all :rofl: Maybe Pinterest are just playing with us!

3 Likes

Re claiming a website.
It does seem that you can’t claim your shop on Folksy. I’ve decided to start up a website through Sumup, as I’ve got their card reader and you can open a shop there for free. That way I can claim that as my website. It’s actually really easy to set up the website, just takes time to list the products.

4 Likes

Re claiming website
[again]
Looks like I can’t claim my sumup website either! I guess it’s because I don’t own the domain or whatever? I was planning on starting it anyway, but would’ve been nice to be able to link it to Pinterest.

2 Likes