September Art chat thread

Hope the car gets fixed Max…difficult to manage without them these days.
Today I have an aceo

2 Likes

That’s beautiful Brenda, the texture in the sky is just gorgeous. All of your work is as lovely as ever!

James @AilsaArts your dragonfly is gorgeous, is it acrylic? Do you treat the slate with anything first? Love your watercolour too.

Max good luck with the classes. I’m about to contact all of my students again, we restart on the 6th - fingers crossed they all want to come back.

Ah Lowri @twinkleandgloomart I love your crafty girls!

Hello Sarah @SarahjanePearceDesigns, your cards are very colourful, they certainly do look like they’re fun to do.

I’ve been away again :blush: this time I went with hubs to Port de Soller in Mallorca, a real walker’s and cyclist’s paradise. We were out walking most days. Naturally I took my sketch book, and since I don’t speak Mallorquin (yes it really does have it’s own language, a cross between French and Spanish) my notes are in English…

2 Likes

Hi Steph…
…thank you for your kind words…
…On the slates it is all acrylics, use mat acrylic varnish to seal the area to be painted on first and ensure it is totally dry before adding colours. These days we use mainly ‘Golden’ acrylics as although they are not the cheapest, they have a wide range of colours.
The water colour ‘Old Mill’ was done by me some time ago, if I remember correctly there is actually some gouache in there, too!
Like your good-self, I’ve been working within art a long, long, long time, so sometimes it’s easy to forget when you actually painted a piece.
I sold my first commercial artworks for ‘greeting cards’ in 1965, the price in those days was 20gns (£21) an illustration. How times have changed!
Best regards,
James

1 Like

Here’s a new one that might be OK for Christmas…

J.

3 Likes

waving everyone.
James, that is Fab…love the sketch Stephie
your mention of greetings cards reminded me that WAY WAY back when just before I left school, I did some paintings and sent them off to a greetings card company…I had a lovely letter back from them. Unfortunately they couldn’t use them because I sent them to a CATHAY card company and they pointed out that they dealt in oriental paintings…lol…well I was barely 16…lol…
I never bothered to resend them anywhere else I just made cards and sold them to my friends…
Brought back some funny memories though.
I have just had to re-apply for my driving licence…as I don’t have a passport, I had to send documents and photos…my old licence was a paper one ! The new one will have my photo on…these days they expect everyone to have a passport. Hubby has problems because he doesn’t have a passport OR a driving licence…I think my new one will cover me for another 3 years…by which time they might have locked me away…ha ha…I just hope that if I ever get bad at driving someone will tell me…sheesh…70 in a couple of months !!
In the mean time, while my brain still works…here is a cartoon to make you smile. (self portrait)

4 Likes

Hello Brenda…
…sadly my three score years and ten are now passed… but still got a driving license (clean, too). This age thing does not bare thinking about really…
…I started as an apprentice ‘commercial artist’ in the printing trade back in 1962 and had to be at least in my third year of training before I was allowed to do overtime or ‘freelance’ work, hence 1965 saw my first freelance stuff. I actually worked and studied in a very large printing company that happened, among many other products, to create, print, manufacture and publish a very wide range of greeting cards and allied products (stationery). I got my BA (1st) in Graphic Arts in the year of '69 at The London School of Print. And, without giving a full CV here, I have been in and around cards, books and publishing all of my working life and even now into retirement, too!
Many thanks for the compliments on the Stag (it’s actually one of Elizabeth’s, so I have passed on your wishes.
This one is more my flavour, done in gouache with a lot of frisk-film masking using one of my airbrush styles. It was originally created and sold for pottery but all other rights and the original artwork is still with me.

Best regards,
James

2 Likes

Oh goody is it time for your witches again Brenda? I love them to bits, and they always sell well for you :slight_smile:

James your deer is wonderful. I find acrylics hard work, they’re quite gloopy and sticky and difficult on a small scale. I much prefer my watercolours!

I’ve just published a new miniature tutorial on my blog

2 Likes

hello everyone, fabulous work here, just swining by to wave hi :wave:

1 Like

Morning all…STephie…I just LOVE that one…love the colour and the composition…you should do more like that.
The witches are ones unsold from last year…people either love or hate witches…which I can understand but I love drawing them.
James, that flower is amazing…such talent…I hope that you have many, many more years of painting…
Waving Max and anyone else that comes on here to view the talent…
today I have an 8x6 that I did yesterday afternoon

1 Like

Good morning, lovely scene Brenda, very peaceful. Thought I would show the book I made, all the images are ones I have drawn myself on my graphics package, the book is my favourite though, got to have a bit of fun with that one, I made two of these one for a custom order and this one, customer loved it so see how this one goes :slight_smile:

that is lovely Max…not that I liked school at mind you…lol
today I have a floral painting

I’ve recently finished this canvas piece titled ‘The Colour of Sound’ which explores everyday sounds we often take for granted through the eyes (or ears!) of someone with a sensitivity to noise, such as those with asperger’s.

1 Like

Hanna Mae, that is brilliant…
today I have a hand painted cartoon witch card for Halloween

2 Likes

I also finished this paper cut piece yesterday evening. I sometimes like to use digital backgrounds but I can’t decide which I like best! The title of this one is ‘Summer Solstice’

(you can see all of my paper cuts here: https://www.facebook.com/hannamaeillustration/photos/?tab=album&album_id=527012364157792)

Something a little more traditional…

Painted by Elizabeth in acrylics but originally it had been painted by her as a sun-catcher in glass inks.
J

@HMIllustration Hanna-Mae your sound piece is very thought provoking. Have you approached any relevant charities with a view to them licencing it?

I’ve just listed this butterfly, inspired by Konstanz Germany and painted in Mallorca Spain. It’s quite sad to be home with no more trips away planned…but I do have a guide dog puppy to look forward to and prepare for :smiley: We haven’t been given a date yet but are storming through the training so it could be any time from now.

1 Like

Thank you stephanie :blush: I’ve entered it into the Association of Illustrators competition which is about ‘sounds of the city’ but I don’t hold out much hope since it’s such a popular competition! What a good idea to contact autism charities!

great work everyone…there is now a new October art chat thread.