The day I see

Nope, I’m not in there either - LOL!

I’m far too busy with packing my sales and working on commissions to faff around with posh photos - my customers like what they see, and that’s what counts, plus I prefer things to look like my style, not some generic style where all the different sellers blend into one.

2 Likes

Many thanks Camilla, looks better now it’s slimmed down. Great that you picked out something of mine to add in, feel free to add more whenever you fancy :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Camilla @folksycontent for adding my belt to the favourites it is appreciated. Saw my cuff in nordic noir gift guide as well. It feels good to get items included. Hazel

1 Like

Thank you Camilla.

On the subject of having the right type of photograph for the ‘Favourites’ I have listed my latest bag with a ‘prop’ of a scarf in the main picture, but I am not sure now if it looks ok. I would welcome your thoughts,

x

often look Joy, i’m never there, if I were never mind falling off the branch I would fall completely out the tree.
:smile:.
I love your stuff, often wonder how these things are chosen.

Kate

Hi Kim,

I think that is a great photograph, it’s clear, bright and in focus and the colours of the scarf complement your beautiful bag.

1 Like

Thank you Dawn.
I have got so used to trying to get a good picture with a white background, as I thought that was what was favoured, that it’s hard when you change tactics to know if it looks ok.

Thanks again for looking, and for your input…
x

1 Like

Yes, I know what you mean Kim, I thought the white background was favoured until Camilla mentioned in one of her posts about using props. We are all striving for good photos and it’s not easy, I spend longer on photography than making and if I manage a good photograph it’s usually achieved by accident.

1 Like

I have just had a look on the jewellery gift guide and some shops have 5 and 6 items in, hardly fair when many have none

1 Like

There are so many (thousands!) of shops selling jewellery on Folksy @jenniesgems - so it takes a while to find them, go through them and add things. Sometimes we add a few from a shop as soon as we find it, and sometimes we’ll add a few more from another shop on another day.

We will be breaking out the jewellery gift guides into more tailored guides too - I just need more hours in my day!!

1 Like

This might be a good question to ask on the Product Photography thread Kim, to see what other people think too?

My advice with props would be to keep it simple. They should be there to make your work shine, give perspective and show a buyer how to use your product, but never to distract or swamp it. To be honest, I’m not sure that your bag needs the scarf because a buyer might not know at a glance which one you’re selling.

I personally think that with your bags, you might get away without any props, because it’s pretty clear what they are and you really just want to show them off as much as possible. What I would try to do is make the background as seamless as possible, so there is no harsh split or colour difference where the table meets the wall on your pics, and really get the image quality as good as possible (some of your shots are a bit grainy and a tiny bit washed out).

Melanie @Beledien does great white background shots like this one, where the surface and background are seamless and the background is a nice pure white.

Just to clear up any confusion, white backgrounds can be great and you definitely need white cut-out shots if you want to be featured in the press, but often when sellers photograph their work against a white wall or table it comes out grey and dull. That’s why a more interesting backdrop can work better.

If you want to use props, Jenny Sibthorp has some great examples of styled photos. But (this is the same for everyone) really think about which props you use. The aim is to make them lust-worthy and aspirational - you don’t want to go with a prop that devalues your brand.

I hope that all helps - and that I haven’t made it even more confusing!!

PS. I don’t know if you had a look in the Folksy Favourite Finds today, but you might want to :blush:

Thank you for all the help @folksycontent. I may just swap the main photograph for one of just the bag. I did find it hard to photograph the bag. I tried outside as well as inside, but it was a bright day and many of the shots made the bag look grey instead of black…it is so difficult getting it just right…
I took a look in the Folksy Favourite Finds, and saw one of my bags!! :smile:

Thank you!!

xx

Many thanks Camilla for including me in the gift guide

I just liked a few of your lovely things so hopefully one at least will make a brief appearance on the front page.

Thanks joy xx

I just fell off the chair !

No, not because my abstract blue square was included by Camilla @folksycontent in the Favourites yesterday…
but…
because I just sold it. !! :smile:

Now it is not unusual to sell something, I’ve sold 2 other things today (and one of those has been in my shop since January (shelf life does not apply to stained glass :slight_smile: ).
but

it’s a weeny weeny bit of a coincidence that I’ve sold the square shortly after it made an appearance in the favourites and on the front page (and this has also been in my shop since January) so… .

All goes to show that the Front Page Favourite Feature is probably a very good place to be.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well done!

Which kind of proves to all those who say ‘it doesn’t matter if you’re not a featured seller / in a gift guide / Folksy favourite’ - yes, it does! if the front page wasn’t important it wouldn’t be there!

I’m still miffed they took away the Pinterest boards, because that way more of us had a chance of a shot at the front page - now it’s only those who will conform the the required photographic style, regardless of how good the item is, who will be shown in the majority of slots.

I spent my school life and the first 20 years if my working life trying to conform to fit in - well I’m damned if I’m going to ‘conform’ to a photographic style just to fit in on here! I’m a creative person - I don’t want to be like everyone else, and I won’t do it!

1 Like

Dandelions Gallery
I don’t know if you know but one of your pictures is in the gift guide for gifts for pet lovers

PS: I asked my customer if he had seen the Blue suncatcher on the Favourites / Front Page but he didn’t know - he’s just been browsing and came upon it.

PPS: Off to make a replacement which I will add via Relist and then it should hopefully get back onto the favourites and remove the Sold out sign.