Weekly Art Chat w/c 14th July ...... artists and everyone welcome

Good Morning

Hope you all had a good weekend, I look forward to seeing all you art this week and chatting about all things Arty

Hazel

This is a new piece from me, painted onto Encausticbord, which is a solid panel 5 x 8 inches and has layers of wax giving a great effect … I’m calling this Sea Storm

2 Likes

Morning Hazel, that’s a lovely restful scene and a great name for it too!

1 Like

Morning Hazel and Margaret…bit grey and cold here today…
Just quickly rushing in with my listing…in a hurry…

2 Likes

Morning all.

Postie has just brought the free DVD from A&I and SAA Looks like a good selection of tasters from some good artists. Thanks to Brenda for giving us the heads up.

Just caught up on the last thread. I don’t like it when it changes to a new one.

I don’t see why 10% donation is a bit off Stephie as long as it is clearly stated.Any amount donated is welcomed by the charity and more than a lot of people do. If it’s 10% of sales that actually amounts to more than 10% if frames and mounts have been paid for. eg if piccie sells for £40 and donation is £4 if frame and mount was £20 £4 is actually 20% of £20. Some of my friends sell their work for not much more than the framing costs so eg if they sold for £22 they would be giving 100% of their profits.

1 Like

lovely scene Brenda, good to see you keeping busy!lol

I think raising money for charity can end up with all kinds of problems, even if it’s for a good cause!

That’s true about the framing costs Tessa - it’s not clearly stated, that’s my problem with it. When you walk in to their Art for Macmillan pop up shops (which I think they said they don’t pay for although I may very well be wrong on that) it seems as though it’s entirely for charity. That was the impression I got anyway, it was only months later when I realised that they were only donating 10%, which is less than the commission and fees you’d pay to sell online. I know it’s better than nothing, but it’s the heavy charity branding that I think is misleading. The average price was around £100 for a 12 x 16 inch watercolour, in standard frames and mounts from the range.

I agree it must be clearly stated and then people decide for themselves.

Gorgeous scene Brenda, and pretty seascape Hazel.

Waves Margaret :smile:

I’ve been doing art of a different kind this morning - I bought a pack of 24 sharpies on a whim in WHS, they were only £6.99 if you bought some stationery which was what I had gone on for anyway

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10505578_10203378962767202_7547863858918068674_n.jpg

2 Likes

Waving everyone … Just a quick pop by as I’m on my phone … And I’m having lunch but had a busy morning - dentist and shopping … Your post made me smile Stephie as only an hour ago I bought myself a brand new pair of trainers … Mine are very plain but there were lots in the shop very jazzy so yours are right on trend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good work with the Sharpies Stephie, you’ve certainly livened them up! :smile:

My art supplies arrived today so I’ll have a play with them in the next few days!

1 Like

I’ve been staging more miniature photos and found one that I hadn’t listed…sorted now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anyone wishes to donate to the “save the Brenda” fund…10% would be fine !!
I still haven’t got my dvd yet Tessa…I wasn’t really amused when they sent me a letter with my surname spelt completely wrongly, saying that my dvd should arrive within 28 days and would I be interested in subscribing to A&I…?..well I have subscribed for over 3 years now and I seem to be waiting longer than everyone else for my dvd…I ticked the box to say that I subscribed, so not only did they not take any notice of that, they couldn’t spell either… It has always amused me as well, that if you take out a subscription you get a free gift, but if you continue with another subscription you don’t get a gift. I realize that it is to tempt new customers but it doesn’t say much to the loyal ones does it? Hopefully I will get my dvd soon…
I sometimes wonder how some people get their jobs in admin…sigh… I must be getting old and grumpy.
By the way, if you want to see my ugly mug, I dared to put it on the thread that mentions the faces behind the shops !

3 Likes

Just be careful Brenda, I’m in admin!lol :smile:

1 Like

afternoon all, love the stormy sea Hazel, beautiful
lovely landscape Brenda, very restful

your pumps look great Stephie as does your miniature

waving to Margaret and Tessa too yoohooo!

Stephie, your miniatures collections look wonderful!

1 Like

Oooh happy me, one of my inchies has made it into the favourite finds on the front page!

Thank you Margaret, it’s such fun staging the miniatures. I must find time to go up in the loft and get the rest of the dolls house props down. I thought I’d need to find room for the dolls house but actually I think if I did that it would be too dark to photograph the artworks (I don’t have lighting in my houses). I think they work well enough staged on my mantle piece.

That’s a pain Brenda, I hope it arrives soon.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,
My shop is still relatively new, just been opened for just over a month. I currently sell handmade greeting cards for all occasions and am currently working hard to stock up my shop. I need some advice on whether its a good idea to introduce other items such as gifts in my shop in the future. I have loads of ideas in my head, that I have to jot down every now and then. Your comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Esterina xx.

Nice to see it so busy and chatty in here today :slight_smile:

Well done on the feature Stephie

Waving everyone, can’t see the whole thread now as posting from my phone not been on the PC as much today :slight_smile:

Hi Esterina, welcome to Folksy and welcome to our art thread. It is all a case of trial and error in your shop…you have to do what feels right to you…
Off to have a look at your shop now…

Hi Esterina @Craftaholic and welcome. I sell lots of goodies in my shop from art to cards and jewellery, I love all types of craft and as Brenda says you do have to go with what you feel is right for you, though not sure I’m ready to start with the christmas stock just yet lol! good luck