A change to the way sales figures are displayed on shop pages

I would rather they put more emphasis on getting their name out there, if we don’t get visitors what’s the point anyway?

3 Likes

I would much rather have had variations worked on as this feature will really help sellers like me that can do different sizes and colours. I offered this option on another site and my sales have taken off.
I will still buy from someone with 0 sales if I like the item enough, everyone has to start somewhere.

1 Like

Hi @folksycontent and @dougfolksy.

My personal view on the sales figures is that it doesn’t make a difference to whether I buy from a shop, but it may make a difference to how I feel about my own shop (zero sales can become depressing; 1000 sales would be fantastic). Viewing past sales is not a necessity for me either; although I have had people ask for variations of a past design so I can see a use for that facility. I’d prefer it if people couldn’t look at things I have made in the past; my shopfront is full of what I make now, and I don’t really want some of my old stuff on display. For every person’s opinion on this being a good feature, there will be someone else who doesn’t like it.

Which really is the point I wanted to make. My personal opinion is my own only, and if the stats/ research confirms that buyers find something useful and this does increase the sales conversion process then fine, i’m happy to have a feature that I don’t like if I am getting more sales as a result. :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t see how this would lead to more sales for me. In fact, it makes me look like an idiot, as nobody can see how many sales I’ve made, but they can see that I have a plus account. I strongly dislike the change, especially when more useful things (variations, an app, advertising) all seem to have been passed over.

2 Likes

Quite a lot of people are commenting on liking or not liking customers now being able to view items they’ve sold. This isn’t actually a new feature. If you clicked on the blue number showing the number of sales, you could ALWAYS see a seller’s sold items. It shows (and always has) the most recent 60 items sold. I personally have no opinion on whether being able to see the sold items is a good or bad thing, I just wanted to point out that it hadn’t actually changed - the only change is whether or not the actual figure shows on the shop.

6 Likes

Hi, I’m not sure the number helps the buyer- what do you want them to conclude from it ? But not keen on some shops having a number and some not. Is that a great UX on the website? As someone else said, if people who are not signed in could leave a review, that would be better.

4 Likes

I think the number of sales should stay for all sellers.
When I had a new shop five years ago I was very proud to see my sales number on display.
It gave me encouragement to see the number gradually increase. I was very proud the day I achieved 10 sales and the low number did not put off the early customers.
I think it is more important to have a completed “About” section on your shop front for buyers to know a little bit about who we are.
The sellers with the higher priced items could take years to achieve 50 sales.
This is just my personal opinion but I think the sales figure looked better on the shop front before the change.
Perhaps it would be better if sellers could remove the sales figure appearing on the shop front via their dashboard if they don’t want it on display.

8 Likes

Extremely late to the party, sorry :slight_smile: I have not been around for a while and ashamed to say only noticed this yesterday. I agree with @thedotterypotter I think the best solution would to be make it optional for the Seller i.e. they could decide whether they want their Number of Sales showing or not.

So if new sellers don’t want low sales showing they can turn it off, and for those who don’t care they can switch it on. This would also give the option for ‘somewhere in between’ too :slight_smile: You could switch it off until it gets to a number that you feel happy with.

Has a decision been made as to weather you will let the number of items sold show again? Or at least give people an option…

I think what we’d like to do based on the feedback is give sellers the option of switching it on or off. We’re still running tests to see whether or not it’s had any effect on conversion, but that’s our feeling at the moment.

7 Likes

thank you Camilla. I appreciate all your hard work.

I would love this! I’d like my number back, but appreciate others don’t, so flexibility would be perfect.

4 Likes

@folksycontent
I would be interested to know what happened about this as it appears that nothing has changed since the sales figure was removed for some shops and this thread was started. I thought it was going to be changed to optional?
Interesting to note that I can’t see how this has encouraged people to join Folksy as sellers, when the number of shops seems to have fallen a lot.

2 Likes

Hi Kim. Yes, you’re right, that is still what we’d like to do ideally. It’s quite a bit of work though (even though it seems like it should be simple to do) and as we’ve been prioritising getting variations finished, we haven’t had time to make those changes - if only we had a bigger team! The good news is that the variations work is very nearly there now - I’ve seen a sneak preview of how it’s going to look and work today so it’s just around the corner!

5 Likes

I agree, variations are much more important and should really help a lot of sellers…good to hear we should get this soon!

2 Likes

yes I think that would be a great idea and up to the individual seller.

@folksycontent Hi Camilla,
I would just like to say how nice it is that you ask us what we think. I have used some sites which just change things as they like and it’s so nice that you involve the shops in your decisions, one of the reasons I like folksy so much.
I agree that it would be good to make it optional for those just starting and I also prefer to see my sales number on my shop front.

Claire
xx

3 Likes