Art Chat: January 2015

Morning All … very cold here today - a thick frost

I have just listed my ACEO Alstroemeria flowers …
The wax version is for sale and I will send the sketch as well :slight_smile:
https://folksy.com/items/6594999-Alstroemeria-flowers-ACEO-Painting-Original-Art-

Have a good day all …

Hazel

3 Likes

morning all, very frosty here as well and there was a beautiful sunrise to enjoy on the drive to work :smile:
Lovely flowers Hazel (I’d struggle to spell that word!)

1 Like

Morning Hazel and Margaret…ha ha…I have never even heard of those flowers…lol…pretty though…
I have just listed this 8x6" acrylic.
https://folksy.com/items/6595003-original-art-painting-acrylic-country-landscape-8x6-ref-171

5 Likes

Morning Margaret … me too, it was on the wrapping of the flowers, but I did check google too !!! I have painted these from the flowers my sister bought me last week when she came to visit which was lovely … we have lived 10 minutes away from each other all our grown up lives and then two years ago she moved hundreds of miles away so visits are more special nowadays :slight_smile:

Thanks Brenda - I love them, in fact they are one of my favorite flowers :slight_smile: My all time favourites are white spider chrysanthemum, which I am very fortunate enough to have some of too … I’ve been spoilt lately … can’t paint them thou … I have tried but white wax is especially tricky !!!

Your landscape is lovely really draws you into the picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Morning gang :smile: It’s cold and icy here brrrrr.

Lovely landscape Brenda. How do you find acrylics on watercolour paper? It tends to cockle too much for my liking - not that I’ve done it often.

Hazel it’s nice to see the two mediums side by side.

Max your butterfly collage is really beautiful - fab colour choices and the butterfly has real depth.

I have a new giraffe to show you. The same dimensions as yesterday’s harbour, but the other way up.

I really must do something about the state of my fingers though…not biting the skin would be a good start :disappointed:

3 Likes

Great giraffe Stephie…waving
I much prefer painting on watercolour paper when using acrylics…a heavy book is useful once it is finished.
I tape it to the board while painting and sometimes when I remove the tape, I give a coat of white acrylic to the white border, so that the WHOLE thing is covered in acrylic…then under the dictionary it goes !!!
The problem I have, is with canvas !!! I have rolls and rolls of the stuff which I bought because I thought canvas would be easier to post ( little risk of it getting folded and bent…and even bent, it would probably just unfold again)…BUT…the canvas curls up like a sausage when wet…
If I tape it to the board and use very wet acrylic (for the sky) then the paint seeps under the masking tape so that I don’t have a nice white border (more white acrylic needed to correct it).
So I think the canvas will only be used for painting with thick paint…sigh…
I am trying to avoid box canvases because that just adds to the weight and packaging difficulties…I WILL conquer all these glitches though…watch this space.

3 Likes

I have a friend at my local art club who wraps the canvas around a piece of wood or mdf and tapes it at the back whilst painting, then takes it off when it’s finished. Seems to work OK if it’s going to be framed. Have you tried canvas paper? I’ll be trying some on Friday at art club, we have a demonstrator coming in to do a paint-along-with-nancy type thing, so I’ll take canvas paper because I don’t want to waste a box canvas on something that I won’t want to keep or sell.

1 Like

Max @paperchainsandbeads my notebooks have arrived and I love them, they’re even better than the first lot that you made for me. They will make perfect little gifts for all the international visitors that we seem to have! Thanks for the robin aceo too, it’s lovely.

2 Likes

!

Hi gang!..What busy artists you all are, Beautiful work!

I am still going strong with my new project for this year.

These watercolour painted pendants have been popular in face book.

Taking some into a gift shop that sells some of my items.

4 Likes

Gorgeous bird stitching Margaret @Louisa15 A lot of work, and will be fabulous when finished! Is it on evenweave or Aida fabric? I can’t see close enough to know if you using half stitches. So much easier isn’t it to use whole stitches only :blush:
Bee

1 Like

It’s on Aida which I always use as it’s easier to see what I’m doing. I’m not using half stitches on this one, I find them quite fiddly. I did a big poppy landscape cross stitch last year which used loads of half stitches so didn’t want to go through that again! :smile:

Hi Brenda @teabreaks To stop curling/distorting … have you tried painting the reverse side with a plain colour? In theory it should balance the effect. I’ve done this with paper … might work on small pieces of canvas. Worth a try perhaps.
Bee

Hi Bee,I tried painting both sides but it still curled badly. The last thing I tried was to wet both sides…hold down the canvas and then put a book on it…but it stuck to the book and the edges still curled. However, the main part stayed flat and as I had cut the canvas larger than I wanted I am now able to trim the curled bits off…but it was a ffaff…lol…I might try what Stephie suggested and wrap it around some board…
I also tried wetting the canvas and taping it down to dry but being wet, the tape wouldn’t stick to it…so that was a non starter…
The other thing I might try is to find an old mouse mat and PIN the canvas to it while I paint… then I can trim it up once it is dry…
Lots of ideas and thinking to do.
Stephie, I have a book of Galleria canvas paper and I LOVE it…and it is what I will use once I have used up the rolls of canvas…(could be a while…lol)
SSHH…I have also painted on canvas style Photo paper…that worked well when using acrylics like oils…but too shiny for the watercolour techniques.
Margaret, I have some half finished cross stitch work…too busy painting…maybe one day…
Jeanie those are beautiful, I hope you sell loads.,

2 Likes

Evening everyone waving hi, just in from work and my goodness I’m freezing!. So pleased the books arrived safely Stephie, I do love making them :smile:
well done Jeanie, with the pendants, I have been apinting pendants for a while and they always go down well at fairs, don’t see so many on line but I have sold quite a few

Brenda the only thing I can think of is to ‘sandwich’ it with mount board and card backing if it’s larger, not much use for ACEO though! I wonder if once it’s inside the little plastic wallet with a bit of stiff card at the back it would be okay, I actually stuck my canvas to mount board first then painted them after they were dry, I managed to use very wet acrylics for the wash and left to dry and added more layers after. This is one of them

2 Likes

some food for thought there Max (lovely flower too)…What I am most trying to avoid is having heavy card to post…so I thought that if I could post canvas, it would be a lot lighter…
Once painted and dry, there isn’t so much of a problem because I can leave it under heavy books for a couple of days and it flattens out…it is while it is wet that I have the problem as I cannot paint on canvas that is all curled up…
More experiments to follow…lol

1 Like

Good morning everyone, back to back meetings today ugh! I’d much rather be at home painting I love my job when I’m not in meetings as I get to use my creativity making graphs and work out my brain analysing data (I’m odd yes I know) but seem to spend more and more time in meetings and I have 4 today! Hope everyone else is able to have a more creative day

Just listed one of my large A4 mixed media cover scrapbooks

4 Likes

Lovely book Max, I love the one I got from you and it is gradually getting used…slow but sure.
Hope you get through your meetings without too much trauma.
morning everyone.

1 Like

Lovely scrapbook Max

I never know how my day will go - unless I really need a day in the studio when I don’t get the phone or check emails. I have a portfolio career as they call it lol yesterday was a good example - I did some graphic design first thing then make a miniature scene as a promotion for my dolls house art at the next fair, popped out to post a lily painting, then I worked for hubby (our decorating biz) typed estimates then the post arrived and one of my web clients ( who isn’t at all techie) sent me a letter noting the update he wanted doing to his website so I worked in that for the rest of the day. I switch hats all the time - never a dull moment lol

Might get some painting time today … Who knows lol

Have a good day everyone

3 Likes

I use masking tape to stick loose canvas to my drawing board before painting. Any piece of flat board/hardboard/mdf/wood would do.
Bee