Behind the times?

I realise that I’m way behind the Cutting Edge of modern trends … but can anyone explain to me why my life is incomplete without a Fairy Door? They seem to be very popular and there are a lot here on Folksy. Where did this idea originate from - and what would I do with one if I bought one?!

5 Likes

Hi Helen, I haven’t a clue where they originate from, but yes there are lots of them around. My son bought me a fairy door (because I draw & paint fairies) so I put on the outside of my painting shed accompanied by a couple of pink mushrooms.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve bought fairy doors for my friends 3yr old twins, and think it’s lovely for kids and their imagination, but that’s probably about it for me! I can appreciate however that some people like fairies even as adults, so I guess they’d also be interested in getting a door. They can be attached to trees at the base, or sheds, or even skirting boards if you wanted one indoors. I quite like the ones that look aged like they belong on the tree like this one:
https://folksy.com/items/6889751--Rosewood-Peak-Fairy-House-Handmade-Miniature-Furniture-Dolls-House

1 Like

They are not my thing but I do know some people like to make fairy grotto’s in a little corner of their gardens for their children to play in. I guess in order to stimulate their little one’s imagination and/or get them interested in plants/wildlife and gardening.

1 Like

Incredibly long link for you if you want to jump on the fairy bandwagon!..
This is interesting…

I think children are able to use their imaginations without props :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree! I have been known to point out the little holes in the bases of trees and ask my children if they think somebody lives there, but I leave it for them to decide who or what that might be.

My friend told me that the original doors were introduced (inside houses that is) to encourage good behaviour. If the child was good the fairy would come through the door and leave a message or a treat and the child could leave his or her own message.

The idea that fairies would need a door to do this came from the US and it is not something I’m comfortable with. English fairies and Cornish Piskies have always been able to get in and out whenever they wanted without doors!

Sam x

4 Likes

Those are interesting links, Christine. I have to say I agree with you !

1 Like

Ah, I thought maybe they came across from the States… I think our fairies must be cleverer than those (and more subtle!)

5 Likes

My grandparents garden was magical to me when I was a child, full of trees and bird baths and such like. I would have been delighted to have found a fairy door there, although I hadn’t even given them a thought until this thread! Perhaps if ever I have grandchildren, one may appear in my garden. After all, I have a little fairy either side of my wood shed door, they were here long before I arrived.

2 Likes

My dad used to say “Periwinkle” would visit our garden when I was very little and I have memories of rushing to the window to catch a glimpse of this elusive character! :joy: If my dad had put up a Fairy door I’d have been beside myself with excitement!

1 Like

I was just thinking of jumping on the bandwagon myself then I thought “Won’t these be classed as toys and be subject to testing?” Making things for kids seems to be a minefield!..

2 Likes

I would have thought so - some of them have quite a lot of little embellishments that don’t look as if they would pass CE testing. And they are so inviting to be played with, I’m sure you couldn’t just call them ‘collectibles’ or whatever and try to cover yourself that way. Best stay clear I would think!.

1 Like

Intrigued. Have heard of a fairy door for the very first time! So you can’t be that much behind the times!

1 Like

"If a novelty item has small components which detach at forces below those detailed in the standard (EN71), and fit inside the small parts cylinder (shown below), they must carry a warning statement such as “WARNING: Not to be given to a child under 36 months - small parts choking hazard”, but are not required to comply with any physical and mechanical requirements, unlike the soft-filled toys mentioned above."
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-consumer/safety-consumers/tsguide-christmas-novelties.htm

I love the idea of a fairy door! I always loved the flower faries when I was little! Still do :blush::cherry_blossom::sparkles:

I must admit I was never a fairy type little girl I was more a lets make mud pies, play with cars, read adventure books or have them read to me and play board games. I enjoyed nursery type rythems that involved actions and taught me to count.

There is a house near my brother in Chesterfield which has a walled garden with lots of trees in it. When you go through the gate there is a sign saying how many fairy doors there are hidden so all the kids rush around trying to find them which is really sweet ( except when you got an older child who announces at the top of their voice that fairies aren’t real !!!)

I loved the idea years ago but now there everywhere I’ve even noticed they do a range of ‘fairy’ stuff in one of the garden centres where you can buy the doors, benches, trees and people.

I expect they define what a ‘novelty item’ is. Otherwise that’s quite a get-out clause…?

This was what was discussed at length on the FB Group for CE Testing about 3-4 years ago. Different Trading Standards offices were saying different things, so nothing is consistent. I’d been told I didn’t have to test my fabric by my Trading Standards Officer (who came to my house to see what I made) but obviously others via Conformance were being told differently. I was told that door stops would have to be tested and CE marked as they could easily be accessed and played with by kids, yet I know others who made them and have been told they don’t.

I found the whole experience quite frustrating to be honest!