Can you raise your cups to me please?

The ‘where’ bit I might be able to help with - once you’ve logged in you should see a bunch of options on the left hand side including one called ‘acquisition’. Clicking on it brings up a drop down menu and if you click on ‘over view’ you should get a pie chart with sections called referral, direct, organic and social. Referral can be largely ignored as this is where all the web bots show up. Direct is where people have typed in a url, clicked on a link to your shop or that particular item (this includes twitter links and gift guide features). Organic is where they have done a search and ended up in your shop (but will it tell me what the search term was, of course not). Social is where they have clicked on a link on a social media platform (facebook, pinterest etc). If you click on ‘social’ (it should be in blue) it will give you a break down for each of the platforms and clicking on a specific platform shows you on which day people went from the social media to your shop so you can track which posts generated lots of traffic to your shop. For me my top source is ‘direct’ with my main shop front being the top landing page - no idea where these people are coming from maybe all those business cards I hand out are paying off - followed by something I mentioned in a post on this forum and then something in a gift guide.
I’m remembering why I don’t really bother with GA I never seem to get the info I actually want but hopefully some little bit of this will prove useful for you. If you come up with any interesting insights do please share - you’ve obviously found the audience geographical map bit which can be helpful when working out where to ship to.
Sasha

1 Like

Sasha, thank you. This is actually very helpful. I have google analytics, but like most of us non-techies, don’t really know what most of it means, so have to satisfy myself with looking at the map. I’m now going off to follow what you’ve suggested, having printed it off!

I’m really grateful to you for taking the time to send all this info. If I find out anything interesting when I’m trawling around GA, I will definitely return the favour.