Changes to the Item Page

I think it’s probably better on a phone because it’s clearer but I’m not awfully keen on the way it looks on my iPad - just my opinion but to me it looks less classy and more like a bargain site - a bit like Argos. The way it was before looked more like a site for makers and artists. I don’t like to criticise because I realise how much work must have gone into this and I really appreciate the fact that you are all trying to improve the site. I suppose time will tell from sales and customer engagement but I think the click bar bit just doesn’t give an impression of lovingly crafted items.

5 Likes

like the clean look but the photos are so large now that some people’s lower res ones are coming up blurred. The price is too small.
Agree about the description dropdown, we are taught in marketing to make as few clicks as possible for the customer, if they can’t be bothered to read the details and just impulse buy which I presume is the reason for the layout, it could cause a lot of problems. Impulse buying on handmade items is not necessarily a good thing due to variations etc.
Also the tags, I have always wondered why these are visible to the customer, totally unnecessary in my book.

Why have we been given this headache at such a busy time of year??? :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :tired_face:

7 Likes

Hi,
I wondered if there’s any option to give the date when your shop will be open again when you put it into ‘holiday mode’?
I usually only close mine for a couple of days if I know I wont be able to post in the time frame I have given & used to put the re-opening details in my shop announcement.
I hoped that a potential customer would come back if there was something that they liked and try again, now the announcement is hidden I think they’d just give up as there’s nothing to indicate when or if the shop will be open again without them searching.

1 Like

Far too many clicks and scrolling needed to view what was easily viewed before the change, personally I think it will put some buyers off, wouldn’t it be better to have the picture a wee bit smaller and the description underneath with the price and postage cost.

13 Likes

This may have been discussed here already, but I have just sold 11 items (the Folksy Christmas Market)…

My total amount of sales before the Market was 299, and still reads 299, BUT should now read 310 sales.

SallyAnn

It doesn’t update immediately.

Thanks Deborah
xxxxxxx

I would like the “more from this shop” button higher up the page. Away from the “more in this category” button, which is currently more prominent and will take customers away from our shops.

Also, I find the “designed by “then persons name with no mention of shop name confusing, as the buyer has no idea who the person behind the shop is. So it isn’t clear that it is more from the same shop.

I am seeing the layout on iPad.

3 Likes

It’s been doing that for months. Will catch up later :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not keen on the new layout either…reminds me of ‘Currys’ item pages where you have to keep clicking to find out any imformation.
I mainly use a PC so I’m not enjoying how it looks at all…sorry.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t have any problem with it and I’m on a PC too. I think it looks smart, uncluttered, and nobody actually interested in buying will have any problem clicking the Description button to find out more. If your titles are meaningful, and your photos are clear and enticing, this is a good change.

5 Likes

I understand wanting to format or change the layout in a more uniformed style across different devices. That makes sense. I thought it had been long proven that the scrolling style works best when we browse the internet? Not click, click, click? As a customer this website now makes me want to go shop somewhere more user friendly. Once I click on product the next option should be as simple as add to basket or the back button. Not half a dozen more clicks to read information that should instantly be available.

Is there a middle ground? A way to keep the new layout with the same subheadings without it being in drop format? I see it will be a pet peeve for a lot of people because out brains are wired to scroll not click (thanks to social media).

What would be a really good upgrade would be the ability for a seller to save some pre-set variation options when we list a lot of similar products, rather than having to type it out every time there is a new listing. Uploading photos in bulk would be a fab time saving option too.

Tan xx

2 Likes

Or me and to be honest I sometimes put the wrong date ( naughty step for me) but I don’t want people thinking that I have something in my shop that has been there for ages…in future, I will also leave it blank…x

@tanyawannerton If you copy a listing that has the variations then they will be copied to the new listing.
It would be nice to have the option to save variations too, but that’s a work around if you’re currently typing lots out every time.

1 Like

As you may remember Brenda @teabreaks , my address is ‘The Naughty Step’ so I have rarely entered the true date! To be honest, I don’t really get why it’s important? You created it, it’s made by you…why does the ‘when’ matter? But apparently it does to some, so I am going to leave that part ‘mysterious’ in future!! :laughing::joy:xx

Thank you. I resorted to using a template in the end but it still involves swapping between tabs to copy and paste over. Would be a lovey addition to have that save option. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi - have always wondered why the tags need to be shown? Would a customer need to see these? And also, don’t they take a customer away from your item / shop if they clickable etc. ?
thanks for any help.
-x-

3 Likes

Yes I have always wondered too. They don’t seem relevant to customers, and to me they are showing the ‘mechanics’ of the selling process rather than touchy feely emotive stuff. I presume tags can work without being visible to the customer? @SallyandtheFreckles

1 Like

I do worry about the description not being on immediate display because some people won’t bother to click on it. I usually always provide one photo with my hand in the shot so that the customer can get a sense of scale but for me it’s really important that they know the true measurements.

Honestly, when I first clicked into the item, I didn’t even realise that the description was there in a clickable box. It would be much better if it was just under the title.
Even if it was limited to a small amount of characters, you could get the basics and most necessary information in.

I made sure I put a really important announcement about my orders in my shop on Thursday, but I guess not many of my customers will have seen it now.

I like how bold the new layout is but I just think anything that is not shown along with the photo will be missed by a lot of customers. It’s not intuitive.

Also, as a seller, I liked being able to go into an item and edit it, you can’t do that anymore in that way without going to the dashboard (or am I missing the obvious?)

2 Likes

hi - you can edit from the item page - it’s under the reviews for that item. hope this helps -x-

2 Likes