December 2018 Art Chat thread

What fantastic paintings! I love those ponies @JanPurvesOriginalArt and your hare is super @HeidiMeier.
Brenda @teabreaks, I love your use of oranges and purples in your paintings. Your cow is another triumph @GKWatercolourArt.
I will pin all to my Folksy art board.
My latest offering at last after days of interruptions, from one of my own photographs taken in glorious County Kerry, ireland this autumn.

4 Likes

Thank you @ChrisStoneArtist and @teabreaks for your kind comments. Iā€™m loving your art, what talented folk on @folksy. Itā€™s lovely to be so welcomed into the Folksy community. Looking forward to seeing more of your inspiring art in future.

2 Likes

I really like your work @JanPurvesOriginalArt and I have given your shop a little plug in the forums (on the share fabulous shops thread).

1 Like

Thank you so much Chris. I really appreciate your support. Iā€™m still working on getting to know all there is to know about Folksy. I will visit the threads and firums and find out more about supporting Folksy folks. Thanks a million for giving me a boost. All good wishes Jan

good morning allā€¦wavingā€¦
Wow Chrisā€¦loving that oneā€¦so different from your other onesā€¦the sea is very affectiveā€¦
today I have an experiment. This card features one of my paintings on the front. I donā€™t like risking card in my printer, so I scanned, printed and laminated one of my paintings then mounted it onto card stockā€¦
https://folksy.com/items/7216196-Landscape-painting-blank-greetings-card-ref-F-600-

4 Likes

Graham I found your private message in my spamā€¦also that is where the ones from you went too Chrisā€¦so just a heads up that for some reason, some of the folksy messages are going into spamā€¦lolā€¦sorry if I missed anyone !!

Good idea, card in a printer is such a pain. I print all my cards from home but have to be really careful about which I buy, because a slight difference in thickness makes all the difference in if my printer can accept it. Unfortunately it seems harder and harder to get the more lightweight cards these days.

Iā€™m sat impatiently waiting for some enamel paint to dry. My old stuff used to be touch dry in 10 minutes, but I tried a new brand last time I bought some and this is still tacky after hours. I want to finish it now! :tired_face: (this is why I canā€™t use oils).

@konyskiw Kim, ā€¦the good thing about printing on paper and laminating is that the card stock I use to mount on is thick and of excellent quality and makes the item much more professional. I have an artist friend who sells cards that she has done on her printer and people donā€™t buy them very often because of the poor card quality. I know that we can pay to have ones professionally printed but laminating them makes them look like they are framed behind glass and gives them a really lovely lookā€¦try it.
today I have an acrylic floral painting ā€¦with glitter of courseā€¦lol
https://folksy.com/items/7216670-Original-acrylic-art-painting-ref-F-601-

2 Likes

Thanks Brenda, now replied.

1 Like

I generally avoid doing the stick on card because I prefer the look when they have a window mount or extra mounted border (we all have different ideas about what makes something seem more professional), which would take more time and material, pushing my prices upā€¦ and as mine arenā€™t art cards but fairly simple doodled illustrations, I donā€™t think the behind glass style would be the right look for them.

I have thought about getting them professionally printed before, especially when itā€™s getting harder to find the right card blanks (and it would mean my designs can go right up to the edge), but it would mean a price increase and for now I still have stock, so Iā€™m not too worried about changing over at the moment as mine still seem to sell (I got an order of 50 to someone the other week!)

2 Likes

Wow - 50 off! thatā€™s great, @konyskiw!
@teabreaks, your cards do look very smart with the laminated print. Itā€™s a good idea that woudnā€™t have occurred to me.
Now considering laminating bookmarksā€¦

Helen

1 Like

I was lucky. Pick an unusual animal to do a Christmas card of, and when a lovely company with that animal in their name wants a card to send out, they wonā€™t have many options! :laughing:

1 Like

well the laminated card sold straight away and the reports back on them say how good they look.
Helen @HelenCliffordArt I always laminate my bookmarks and have sold a lot of themā€¦keeps them looking good too. these are in my shopā€¦the only problem of course is taking pics without the flashback.
https://folksy.com/items/7088788--set-of-TWO-Hand-painted-butterfly-bookmarks-ref-F277-DSCF0007%20(2)

2 Likes

Hereā€™s another recent listing, a still life from my portfolio. I love still life even though they arenā€™t so saleable. Maybe Folksy will bring me luck! What do you all find is popular art on Folksy? Selling art online is a challenge. Isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

Excellent. Fingers crossed they come back next year for another design!
Now Iā€™m off to browse local companiesā€¦!!

@teabreaks, anything that makes photography more difficult is a pain. But might try anyway just for family stocking fillers.

2 Likes

Great work everyoneā€¦
Jan, my best sellers always used to be aceo landscapes which always made me smile as I donā€™t even like landscapesā€¦let alone greenā€¦lol.
My first love is purple glitter fantasiesā€¦(Always been away with the fairies ha ha)
I dislike still lifeā€¦always struck me as boring, and I am hopeless at straight lines (as in bottles etc)
I like to just splash the paint on.
I admire anyone who can paint buildings, cars etcā€¦and I donā€™t copy photos or real lifeā€¦everything I do is from my imagination at least I don;t have to worry about copyright !!
today I have an 8x6 landscape (of nowhere in particular!)ā€¦
https://folksy.com/items/7217259-original-art-watercolour-painting-ref-f-604-

3 Likes

I love your still life Jan @JanPurvesOriginalArt. I love doing still life paintings and tend to keep them for my own wall rather than sell them.
Iā€™m fairly new to Folksy myself but have sold a few things. I donā€™t like painting flowers but I sold one easily. Iā€™ve sold a landscape and one of my vehicle paintings and cards with a London bus on it. So I have sold examples of a bit of everything I do, though still on quite a small scale at the moment.
Iā€™ve sold local landscapes in a local gallery, but their commission is a bit eye watering. Although selling art online is indeed a challenge (there is no substitute for seeing an artwork up close and in real life), it feels even more of an achievement when I sell something that way (and I keep more of the money!).

1 Like

Hare today, gone tomorrow, a bit like my hairlineā€¦ watercolour on hot pressed.

5 Likes

@GKWatercolourArt Grahamā€¦ My hair is about 18" longā€¦want some?

1 Like

No ta, Iā€™m growing fond of my slap head :hugs::yum::yum::hugs:

1 Like