Do you take photos at national trust properties?

I wonder how many of you are aware that the National Trust “beefed up” its image policy in (I think) 2012? No? Neither did I and I have volunteered for them for 5 years. In brief, this is the problem. You cannot take a photo at or FROM any National Trust property which charges an entrance fee, unless you buy a licence from them. So if you sell greetings cards or other image-related items you could be in trouble. This even extends to any plants or animals on a National Trust site, so apparently they own all of nature as well as all views!! I am waiting for them to tell me what the astronomical fee would be for a licence. But in the meantime, I know that some of you are listing cards with NT views on them; if you have a licence, fine, but otherwise be careful. According to the internet they are “going after” people like us.

1 Like

Can we just clarfy something: you can take photos for your own use, but if you want to use them to make something to sell, then you need the licence?

There’s nothing stopping you taking photos for your own use. It will simply be if you then go on to make money from the photos.

In certain properties they may have a ‘no photos’ sign up for a specific reason- possibly by certain documents of paintings.
I certainly take photos when I visit and no one has said anything. :blush:

Yep it’s for commercial usage you will require the licence not for private use.