Do you think a product photo makes all the difference in selling your stuff?

In a recent survey done with 1344 ecommerce experts they said it is 70% your product photo which makes all the difference

I’m sure they do make a difference that’s why most of us do our best to take good clear photos, however few of us are professional photographers so a lot of photos won’t be perfect which is why product descriptions are also important.

2 Likes

I think product photography is hugely important…it’s the first impression a product will make.
I will always pass over a product with blurry photography and am also put off by overly fussy staging.

Sarah x

3 Likes

Good photos are important although I don’t necessarily think they need to be professionally taken. I think its important to try and show as much detail as possible - views from the side/back/close up/some sort of scale reference - it is the photos that help the customer decide. Things that would make me pass over a product are really obvious colour hues, a messy background, products obviously photographed on a bed/sofa with a creased sheet or any that give a sloppy/can’t be bothered to make an effort impression - I feel if people can’t be bothered to at least try and take a decent photo then can they be bothered to make sure things are well made/finished off. I know really good photos are really difficult (mine are far from perfect) but reasonably good ones are achievable with even a basic phone camera.

5 Likes

Yes. When we think about things we want to buy for ourselves, we want to see the product clearly. If you make hot water bottle covers, why should anyone looking for them via Folksy pick yours above anyone elses? What will make yours stand out above everyone else - the competition?

But before we’ve even go to that point, we need to consider how to sell something to people who don’t yet know they want to buy your product. The people who hadn’t yet considered they really needed your product - we need to create “desire”. However I think that’s really for people who create the luxury goods, items that are not “needed”, but “wanted”.

When I look at people like Mister Finch - no-one needs his art work, but load of people love and want it, because it’s different, it’s got a story attached to it (and the maker looks an intriguing chap - a young chap that sews - self taught - so has his own story) and they’re individual unique pieces. He created desire for that piece of artwork.

2 Likes

Wow he is amazing isn’t he Liz @BigBirdLittleBird - I agree photo’s are hugely important, and also the bane of my life, I’m still trying to get it right! If a customer does a search and is presented with a page of products, your photo is the first thing to catch their eye so you need it to say pick me! As Ros and Di say it’s then info and other views etc that are important but for that first impression all we have is photo’s.

2 Likes

i am new to folksy but have been on the american one for almost a year now…my photos have improved so, so much since i first tried selling…
thankfully ive been stitching for a job for years, so my garments are better than my pictures!
thank goodness for my ipad…it does a lovely little job of photos and i can upload direct from it…
still learning ,
but for distance selling, photos seem to be the most important thing…
(i am now almost as addicted to taking pictures as i am sewing things!)

1 Like

Great to see lot of people are getting agree to this fact. I am thrilled to see the response.

Yes, I also agree, photos are very important, something that we always try to continue to improve. :slight_smile:

Photos are important, but many of us struggle with getting good shots. I’ll never be a featured seller on Folksy as my photos aren’t to their liking/standard. But so long as the shot clearly shows the item, and you have taken pics that show the item from various angles etc, and ALSO have a good description of your item then you can still get sales.

I’m over 1700 sales on here - my photography isn’t great. I send customers photos of their finished items before I post them out, in case any changes are needed, and sometimes have to apologise that I haven’t managed to get a really good photograph - the customers have never minded, and usually when the item arrives they message to see they loved how it looked in the photo I sent, and it looks even better in real life.

A bad photo doesn’t stop me looking further into an item - but a bad photo followed by a badly written description with grammar and spelling errors would put me off.

1 Like