Ebay Intermediating whatever that word means

Can anyone make head or tail of this please ?

(I sell my scrap glass on Ebay, except when I’m too busy, so Joybob5560 is me !)

Dear joybob5560,

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

1 Like

All Business speak to me…no idea what it means…lol…

I think there adding a new payment system, to make it easier for everyone, etsy use the same company ‘ayden’

1 Like

My reading of that is that they are introducing a direct payments system (like stripe but with ayden) so that customers don’t have to use paypal.

i had this too and the phrase ‘multi-year journey’ did make me smile! I have sold thousands of items on e-bay without problem (not sure I should tempt fate by saying that!), so I hope this won’t bring too many issues, but if it’s a gradual change we probably won’t even notice it.

Let’s hope so. I Always use Paypal -in preference to any other payment method.

1 Like

I saw something on the lunchtime news about this, I think they said the new payment option has lower fees, so that’s got to be good. Can’t imagine they’d hook up with anyone iffy with the amount of transactions that must go through on Ebay each day, they’ll want that to run smoothly.

I got that email too… I’ve just googled what is intermediating payments on ebay and there are lots of talk about it, I’ll have to settle in with a cuppa and a biscuit before I have a proper read. :slight_smile:

Adyen is who Etsy use for their non PayPal payments, they are another company like Stripe.
It sounds like eBay will do all the setting up of accounts etc, so hopefully you have nothing to do yourself.

I had no problem changing over from Paypal to Etsy’s payment system, so I’m hoping it will be as easy on eBay.
Thank goodness they didn’t mention Stripe… :slight_smile:

Yeap, another site introducing their own payment system. It’s a good thing PP will still be offered. But, will Eb* make their payment method mandatory? Like Et* did and kicked out of their site thousands of sellers?

It is a little odd as I thought that Ebay and Paypal were linked companywise.

3 Likes

I’m sure they used to be.

They were but they split from each other a few years ago.

Ah must have missed that.

1 Like