Folksy Ltd

Finding materials in store.... nightmare!

Does anyone else find it difficult finding the materials they need in physical shops?
I live in North Wales, and we have a ‘Dunelm Mill’, and ‘The Range’ and a few small craft sections in various shops… but I can never find what I need.

Unfortunately the closest Hobbycraft to me is in Chester- but it’s a bit too far to ‘pop in’. They said they where opening several new stores in the near future, I emailed them to ask if any of them would be in North Wales… their answer was something along the lines of ‘we already have one in Swansea and Cardiff’… not quite North Wales then. :wink:

3 Likes

I have the same problem. we do have a hobbycraft but I find them so expensive and sometimes the quality isn’t that fantastic.
So prefer not to go there unless I really have to.
There is a few places in town and a really nice bead shop in Epsom but it takes about an hour and a half by bus to get there.
I buy most of what I need online.
I am hoping to go to a bead fair soon too.
Fingers crossed

1 Like

I buy almost all my materials online - there are no shops selling what I use in Devon.
We do have the occaisional gem fair in south Devon that is worth the journey - nice to handle the goods before purchase.

1 Like

We opt to keep our storeroom well stocked. We visit our leather, fittings and wood stockist about every 3-4 months its cheaper to fill the van up than it is to have it sent. Small items like glue, screws gloves etc we tend to buy the shop out as if we don’t buy it when we see it is out of stock when we need it. Everything else we buy on line and have it delivered.

1 Like

How near are you to Mostyn?

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/ have a huge store there (I’m always in the Bolton or Manchester one!!!)

1 Like

@BerryNiceCushions, I love Abakhan, it’s a bit of a day trip to get there for a few bits unforunately, so like @leathermeister it’s a bulk buy trip!

I suppose it’s such a tough climate for craft supply shops to survive. Imagine- a shop full of jewellery findings, pendant blanks etc. It would be amazing!

hi there -
i haven’t got access to shops really here in south wales - i get my findings and materials on e-bay. they’ve got everything you can think of and decent prices too. if there was a physical shop i would use it but this is just not the case so online the only real option.
there is a hobbycraft in hereford but find hobbycraft is far too expensive anyway …

1 Like

Most things I buy are off the net.
I havnt been to Hobbycraft for years, as said previously, too expensive.

2 Likes

Maybe Hobbycraft was a novelty for me, I bought loads when we went to Swindon for my cousins wedding and passed one on the way home. I thought it was pretty reasonable for the things I wanted but I did find things like beads etc expensive.

ps: @SallyandtheFreckles, I love your surname. Snow :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have one shop where I buy all my yarn but it’s a small shop so they don’t always have the colour I want as they run out quickly.

I also have a little haberdashery but can’t always get all the fabric I want but thankfully I have quite a stash and I do also use recycled materials from charity shops.

My beloved mother in law left me some fabrics and yarn supplies which I’ve just started to work with.

I do buy a lot of my supplies via ebay though and I have family members who are always on the look out for bits and bobs for me.

I now find I can get my acrylic paints, pva white glue, card and paper extremely cheap from a local cheap shop.

In fact I’ve just ordered reels and reels of bias binding and ribbon off ebay.

Oh and I’ve bough so much sewing thread and embroidery and cross stitch fabric and threads over the years in bulk from Readicuts which was always a catalogue but now they are a online shop. I doubt I’ll ever have to buy any more aida, eavenweave, embroidery threads ever again.

I also over the years won boxes of metallic and rayon shinny embroidery threads due in embroidery and cross stitch design competitons.

I’ve so much I’m thinking of selling some as supplies. lol

I just wish I had more time to create more Bedfordshire bobbin lace as I’ve only a few pieces left., and now have resorted to buying a few bits via ebay :open_mouth:

I also have boxes and boxes of beads and tiny silk flowers bought in bulk a few years ago very cheaply due to a closing down sale when my supplier retired his haberdasry market stall.

I’ve had about 35years of craft hoarding :blush:

3 Likes

i do like going to hobbycraft sometimes - it is kind of exciting there !

eira is my middle name - i chose it when i got divorced and had to change my surname back so thought i would give myself a new middle name at the same time - i wanted to be ‘sally snow’ in welsh as i love the snow and the arctic :smile:

2 Likes

I buy nearly all of my materials online - I have a few trusted suppliers where I know that the gems/ beads are good so I’m unlikely to get something shockingly awful. I went to a rock and bead show earlier this year as I had to get some rough rocks to my tame lapidarist for cutting, lots to tempt me but I am quite picky so limited myself to the unusual or more expensive stuff where I would want to see it first before parting with money. My biggest problem is that when I’m planning holidays I tend to work in a business angle - a trip to Italy last year resulted in a day trip to the glass workshops in Murano, a trip to New Zealand earlier this year had us stopping off in Hokitika to get jade - I’m planning my way round the world one gem at a time. If the other half has an issue with this (and carrying the stuff back in the suitcase) he hasn’t let on and he still lets me plan the trips :grinning:

3 Likes

@twinkleandgloomart I know what you’re saying! I moved from the Isle of Anglesey to Stoke-on-Trent in February of this year and I had the same problem. There’s a beautiful little shop though near the Four Mile Bridge, it’s a fabric shop and it sells buttons and all things for sewing, I could sit in there all day!! It’s called Copperfields. I also used to drive from Anglesey to the Abakhan in Mostyn, that’s quite a good drive lol!

The nearest Dunelm Mill & The Range nearest to me there was the ones in Bangor. I agree they don’t have so much inside their sections. I’m unsure of anywhere else. x

1 Like

Just found a link for the website @twinkleandgloomart

I don’t know if it’s of any use as I don’t even know what supplies your looking for but here it is anyway!

http://copperfield-crafts.co.uk/

1 Like

Hi, have you tried Craftage in Llandudno, opposite North West Gardens (bottom of Mostyn Street?

1 Like

And ther is The Works further up Mostyn Street on the other side of the street to Craftage

1 Like

I only really go to my local hobbycraft when they have a sale or when they run the 25% off events.
I have a little shop I go to sometimes that’s local but to be honest eBay is so easy. Just have a look when you think of it and buy there and then. Instead of waiting to go into town.

1 Like

I buy most of my new supplies online but I do love a good rummage in the Norfolk auctions, have managed to pick up lots of lovely vintage tablecloths. The only trouble is I find it incredibly difficult to cut into them, even when I have valid projects in mind!

1 Like

Oh we are going to Llandudno for three days tomorrow, I shall have a look in Craftage :smiley:

1 Like

I buy all the supplies for my business on-line, but for fabrics it has to be Aberkhan :slight_smile: We have to make a small de-tour whenever I go home to Anglesey to visit my family :slight_smile: I know there are closer fabric shop to Shrewsbury and there’s even an Aberkahn in stoke, but nothing compares to the original :slight_smile: I’ve been buying my fabrics there since I was 13 :smile:

1 Like