Folksy Ltd

#FreeSchoolBreakfast

I was shocked and appalled to discover that 75% of primary school children are living in poverty in an area on my doorstep. 40% of them are often going to school without having had breakfast. If kids are eligible for free school meals, surely one of those should be breakfast.

There are Twitter profiles for this in the US, but nothing here in the UK, so I have retweeted the article I read this morning with the #FreeSchoolBreakfast. I’m sure this is the case all over the country, so feel free to join in!

Sam x

My sister once had to put cardboard in her son’s school shoe when he had a hole as she couldn’t afford a new pair. She now works part-time with school nurses and is very aware of the poverty but also that some parents make very poor choices when it comes to budgeting and planning regarding food shopping. My sister to her credit can feed her family for £40pw but it takes time and knowledge to cook within that budget and some people just don’t know how to do it.

1 Like

It is a shame that children do suffer from this through no fault of their own. Whatever the reason (and 75% of children in poverty + 40% of those children missing breakfast, is not just one or two families) a little bit of extra money spent on breakfast in school for those children could do wonders for their education and their behaviour. Imagine how hungry they must be by lunchtime.

My mother (who is now retired) worked as a health visitor for many years and had her own experiences with raising children in poverty while my Dad was a student, had the same philosophy. However ill equipped the parents are to deal with life in general, it is important to ensure the child is helped wherever possible.

Sam x

2 Likes

Absolutely. I work in a school and I know the school will make sure the kids will be looked after during school hours, so if they come in having had no breakfast they will get fed, and if they have no lunch for whatever reason, they’ll be provided with one.

1 Like

That’s reassuring! What worries me is that the statistics show this is clearly quite widespread, hence all the food banks popping up. I worry that this is because of the insecurity of work, particularly 0 hours stuff. It’s back to the 1930’s, except this time nobody can see the queues for the labour exchange stretching around the block because it’s all done over the phone.

Sam x

I was luck enough when my children were in primary school and I was working in a small cafe for very little money to live in an area where the school had a free breakfast club. We’d drop them off half an hour early and they’d be given creal, toast and fruit juice. It made a huge difference to the household budget every week :grinning:

1 Like

That’s just the sort of thing I was thinking of. I’m sure that not all of the parents that are affected by this are irresponsible, but Hastings is just the sort of coastal community we were talking about on the other thread. They might well have difficulty holding down their jobs, affording food and getting the kids to school on time. I’m sure that every school should have one.

Sam x

1 Like