Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

I just found a false widow (I don’t know the Latin name for her) trying to creep in through the fly net on my back door. I very carefully moved her back out to the garden :scream::spider:

wow your garden sounds wonderful

1 Like

Your card shop is,lots of very special work,you must be ever so proud of it,I would be.
My garden is not huge but compared to the rabbit hutches of today it is a good size,the wildlife is plentifull as we have a small wood and Bourne Mill pond at the bottom of the road and the military owns a lot of land nearby which is a haven for wildlife and so not all guns,shells and killing. Our Wisteria has just come into bloom,see if I can upload a pic later.
and again , your cards are full of the WOW factor and I hope you do well.

Thankyou…It sounds perfect to me,

1 Like

Youre welcome,aye it’s nay too bad.

Wisteria in bloom and a wee raised pond we built.

7 Likes

This little pigeon shew up,a ferrel,it couldn’t fly and walked everywhere,not a clue about cats. Jonesy sniffed it and walked off so I picked it up to show him,you can see by his bum about to exit the frame how interested he was.

3 Likes

What a lovely garden, I would love wisteria in mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once it gets established you need a big stick to beat it back with though,ours took about 10 years to grow from a piece about 6" long that had a bit of root on it.

Found this beautiful beast behind a flower pot today. Have logged him with the People’s Trust for Endangered Species, hence the ruler in the photo - my partner saw me trotting outside with that and my cameras and asked what I was doing, I simply replied ‘being a nerd’ which seemed to satisfy him!

9 Likes

A tad early maybe,they usually do show up in June but given the weather we have had recently I would have thought it would have delayed them a bit.

This cheeky pheasant was a regular visitor a few weeks ago. He was hoovering up all the food that had dropped from the bird-feeder. Haven’t seen him for a while though. At the moment we’re enjoying regular visits from a Nuthatch who is raiding our bird feeder for sunflower seeds and carrying them off to the woods behind our garden, where it must have a nest. I’d never seen a Nuthatch before and had to look it up in the trusty bird book!

3 Likes

I can hear a cuckoo, but I’ve never been able to get close enough to snap a photo though. It makes me smile just to hear him calling as it means Spring is definitely here :grinning: We have lots and lots of house martins this year too, and a woodpecker we can hear but never see :grinning: Oh and we had a shrew living under the fridge for a couple of days, the cat brought it in and let it go! Thankfully it seems to have found its own way back out again :grin:

1 Like

at the moment, we have a seagull that comes to our patio windows every day for food and if we ignore him he starts making a racket. He is on the patio now along with 3 squirrels a Jay and a woodpecker. The badgers and foxes are getting left over chips tonight…they all eat better than we do!

1 Like

I love your stag beetle, Anna! He is a beauty. This kind of thing give me hope that with the right management animals like these will be able to be common again one day :heart_eyes:

Sam x

Absolutely Sam, Surrey Wildlife are doing a lot of habitat management nearby so hopefully that’s helping. x

1 Like

We can but hope Sam,but they have bulldozed about 5000 achres near me and left two logs as a Stag beetle habitat,of course they adjourn for tea and medals for doing so after they have taken photo’s for brownie points and c.v,somehow it doesn’t all add up to me.

That’s a shame :cry: There have been many studies that show that providing a man-made habitat elsewhere is completely ineffective and that the only way to proceed is not to dig up the existing ancient woodland. Of course that gets in the way of making money…

Sam x

Here’s a frog in my garden, not quite where I’d like him to be!

5 Likes

We had a lovely weekend of babies in our garden,
It’s great fun watching all the fledgling birds, we had baby robins, blue tits and wrens on Saturday, and yesterday and invasion of baby frogs from next doors pond, we did see the Heron circling hopefully though. We were in the garden all day and it wasn’t brave enough to come close whilst we were there so hopefully quite a few of them got to safety before it got them :expressionless:

1 Like