Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

A montage is a great idea to show how he has changed from being a little baby in the spring! :heart_eyes:

Sam x

This change has only taken 6 weeks Sam. Our Reggie was a late summer baby, that first chick pic was taken at the end of August. These robins don’t hang about getting suited and booted to adult plumage :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s a montage of some of our garden bird visitors…

…along with some of our local ‘game’ birds who often
feed in our grounds as they know they are safe here.
J.

2 Likes

I love these montages! They give a real sense of the variety of garden visitors you have @AilsaArts. the game birds are spectacular :smile:

Sam x

No photos I’m afraid but it appears that we have all the cats in our garden.

Our own, of course. And the neighbourhood cats who like the garden very much. It’s a bit of a sun trap to be fair with lots of nice spots to sleep. I’m pretty sure they are keeping away any other wildlife at the moment.

1 Like

Or are they waiting for Officer Dibble to arrive?

Sam x

1 Like

I’m officer dibble in this scenario I’m afraid :frowning: Time for the water pistol since my own cats are now letting them wander in the house and take their food.

1 Like

The cutest little hedgehog out in the rain this evening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awww, I think two of my hedgehogs have gone into hibernation and it is just the juveniles awake!
For the first time since I discovered they were there in August one bowl remained untouched, one was empty (where the little ones eat) and one had been pilfered by a cat as it was empty except for mealworms!
I’m going to miss the hedgehogs :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good news really! It means they managed to eat enough to be ready to sleep and you’ll see them again in the spring :smile:

Sam x

1 Like

Alfred, my littlest hedgehog.
I may need to catch him soon to over winter at a hedgehog sanctuary as he’s still a baby!

1 Like

I think so too! It has turned cold very quickly this year and some of the hoglets are not big enough to be out there on their own.

Sam x

This makes me happy!
First hedgehog back after hibernation :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was looking in my pond last night, to see how last years baby newts were getting on and found this beastie

We’ve had smooth newts for a while, but this is the first great crreasted newt. He is huge, you can see a smooth newt in the second photo for comparison.
I’m so excited, and will keep checking the pond to see if he finds a lady friend :grinning:
Sarah @thesherbetpatchwhat do you put out for your hedgehogs to eat? I think we may have some since I stopped using slug pellets, I’ve seen their poop (and a huge decline in the slug population in our garden, but not the critters themselves :cry:
Donna x

5 Likes

Yay! I think the great crested newts are making a bit of a comeback-I have never seen one personally, though. He looks like a baby dragon :smiley: No advice about the hogs, I’m afraid. I would love some myself. I’m glad you are seeing some sign of them, even if they are staying undercover for the time being!

Sam x

1 Like

lots of birds! but not much else due to the hound …

4 Likes

same here Dawn, large hound and sparse grass, and of course the odd hole or ten as Katie’s mission in life seems to be hole digging…

3 Likes

I’ve just put up my new insect hotel, so hoping to attract some visitors over the summer. :honeybee: Will post again if I get any!

3 Likes

Wish I’d got a photo of the squirrel sitting on one of our wooden chairs this morning, like a furry human

1 Like

Quick update, there is now a Mrs Beastie in my pond :grin: so hopefully there will soon be baby beasties :grinning: I’d never seen a great crested newt either Sam @SamanthaStanley but they really do look like mini dragons lol
I can’t quite believe how much wildlife my tiny pond had attracted. At the moment we have 4 smooth newts, 2 great crested, around 20 of last years baby newts a host of dragon fly numphs and one lone frog all in a tiny pond less than 3 feet across!! I may have to dig a bigger one :grin:
Donna x

3 Likes