Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

I am really please you have great crested newts in your pond. Please do remember that they are a protected species so take great care of them. The link below is quite useful to be aware of

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/great-crested-newts-protection-surveys-and-licences

I hope your pair do breed and you get lots of babies!

Lesley

3 Likes

our little visitor on the patio.

7 Likes

Thank you Lesley, Iā€™m aware of the rules about having great crested newts :wink:I knew they were in the area because they were part of the reason a huge housing estate wasnā€™t built in our village :grin: and have been hoping to attract some to our pond for a while :slight_smile: :dragon_face:
My next mission will be to attract the woodpeckers I can hear to nest here :bird: :smile:
Donna x

1 Like

Our garden toad has come back again this year, and has been making use of the toad tent provided for shelter :slight_smile:

Heā€™s also been for a dip in our mini wildlife pond :slight_smile:

And must have met a lady friend at some point because weā€™ve got two lots of toad spawn in there now :wink: (first lot are the mini comma size, one in the middle of this pic, the new lot are just lines of mini black dots)

And the other day I saw one of last yearā€™s toadlets still in the garden, looking a little bit like ET :smiley:

Gotta love a toad / toadlet :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Itā€™s great the amphibians are all doing so well this year! Iā€™ve had 4 mating pairs of toads this year, which is double the number I would normally expect. It looks like the UK must be bucking the global trend, which is brilliant!

Sam x

1 Like

Hi,
Donna @RedDragonDesigns,

We have been lucky enough to have hedgehogs for the last 4 years or so.

I put down ordinary meaty (not fishy) cat food on my patio and along they come after dark.
Last year I got in the habit of putting it out at the same time each night (about 7pm after clearing away dinner.)

One night I was late putting it out and was rushing aboutā€¦
I went charging out the back door with bowl of food and wasnā€™t there a big old fella sitting there waiting!!
He was almost tapping his foot with impatience!!
Didnā€™t half make me jump!!

I have seen two together also, they make an awful racket if they come across each other.
One night I heard a weird noise coming from inside one of my shrubs it seemedā€¦
It sounded like, and Iā€™m sorry, but I canā€™t think of a more accurate description; someone blowing up an air bed with a foot pumpā€¦!
Its what they do when they ā€˜meetā€™ each other apparently according to a website I looked it up onā€¦
Strange little creatures, I love 'em :blush:

Word of caution though; donā€™t leave a rubbish bag outside on the patio as I did for the next trip to dustbinā€¦
I picked it up next day to take to bin and it ā€˜rustledā€™,
Sure enough, little hedgepoo, (as I call them), was inside having a root aroundā€¦thank god I noticedā€¦:scream:

Also, on a hot summer night when the bedroom window is open, I can sometimes hear the sound of the china bowl making a chinking noise against the concrete when they are trying to lick the bowl clean; (could be a cat I suppose but they donā€™t generally tip it up), and also when itā€™s late, a few slugs also find their way in to the bowl as a kind of incidental garnish I like to thinkā€¦lol

Hopefully they will reappear again soon bless 'emā€¦

Liz

4 Likes

So lovely that the hedgehogs are out of hibernation.
This is Alfred, a very small hedgehog from last Autumn, who returned this week.
Much smaller than the regular fatties :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello again, Alfred! I think he has been on this thread before. Such a cute little tiggypig :heart_eyes:

Sam x

I think the advent of wheelie bins has been a serious problem for hedgehogs. Back when we used to put the bags out on the pavement I often used to see them rummaging about. Not very hygenic, but it just goes to showā€¦

Sam x

Yes, he has!
Last Autumn I was worried about him surviving hibernation because he was so little, but he was too elusive to catch.
So Iā€™m especially pleased to see him back again, aswell as Tiggy, who is looking particularly bulky and maybe pregnant!

1 Like

So the possibility of hogletsā€¦ Thatā€™s very exciting!!!

Sam x

1 Like

Baby hedgehogs! Really exciting! :heart_eyes: Greetings to Alfred & Tiggy!

Iā€™ve got only dandelions! The Loins of the garden! I think they look beautiful, maybe I should paint one? Question is, if anybody would like to buy a painting of a dandelion? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think people might buy a dandelion painting. Especially if it had some of the ā€œclockā€ seedheads. It might make an amusing gift for a luckless gardener or somebody who keeps rabbits.

Sam x

1 Like