Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

@JOYSofGLASS that almost looks like it might be a fledgeling - incredibly early if it is but we have had a mild winter and warm spring. If they laid the eggs in early march its a 2 week incubation and then 2 more weeks til they fledge so it is possible.

1 Like

Yes it is a fledgling and I thought it was a bit early too. We generally have about 4 pairs nesting round the garden so weā€™re accustomed to the silly noise they make. Love them.

1 Like

You might get second or even third broods at this rate, they obviously know when they are on to a good thing. Mine are still nest building or sitting.

1 Like

my bunnies are 3 year old mini lops which i got for mothers day, The bigger rabbit doesnt try to escape when I go to catch them in the run to put in hutch but the smaller one is a wee escape artist and what a job i have at times trying to catch her! Our dog tries to help and as a last resort I will through a rug over her ! I have noticed sometimes that they wont eat certain vegetables that they normally eat and wonder if they are tasted with pesticides. I wash my veggies but never used to bother washing the rabbits veggies but I am now.

1 Like

Did I mention that when I have a spare minute and the ovenā€™s on I make them pastry balls. Mr and Mrs Black /(s) love it. I use value flour, lard, dried fruit, grated cheese. Mix it all up in the mixer, add water, form into balls and bake it.

They usually form an orderly queue but if the thrush smells the cheese it gets there first and then thereā€™s a fight !

2 Likes

Oh lovey! It still has the yellow around itā€™s gape and a short tail :smile:

Love Sam x

Hi Sasha! Iā€™m afraid they wonā€™t come true from seed, but you can get some interesting colour and shape variations in the seedlings that werenā€™t present in the parents. The doubles are always infertile and have to be propagated from division, even if they do appear to have anthers and pollen. I tried it a few years ago and it wasnā€™t potent. Itā€™s great to grow the seedlings on but they donā€™t reach flowering size for 2 to 3 years, so there is quite a long time lag before you get to see what youā€™ve got. One of the seedlings from my plants turned out to be versicolour, that is dark red on the outside of the petal and white with veins on the inside, so itā€™s worth doing if you have the patience!

Love Sam x

I donā€™t think I actually expected them to breed completely true, maybe a passing resemblance to one or other parent, Iā€™ve got 12 different colour ways already scattered around the garden so whatā€™s a few more. Canā€™t wait to see what they turn out like, loving the sound of the versicolour so fingers crossed for some of those.

1 Like

Expect almost anything! (as long as itā€™s a bit pink :wink: )

Sam x

The magpies are trying to dismantle one branch at a time the (living) filbert tree outside my window and move it into the neighbourā€™s apple tree to build a nest. The squirrel wonā€™t be happy with them if they succeed, he likes that tree (Iā€™m less keen as the squirrel spends the autumn planting the filberts in my flower beds and I spend spring pulling them up).

1 Like

Little Devils! Just goes to show itā€™s an ill wind that blows nobody good :wink:

Love Sam x

I think Iā€™ve just discovered a toad in my mini pond this afternoon (Iā€™ve posted it on FB already for some help with ID). Considering I think there are already a couple of frogs and two fairly large goldfish in there, itā€™s getting a bit crowded :smile: I would get a larger one, but thereā€™s no space really.

1 Like

Of course Stevie, everyone is welcome! Thatā€™s a lovely shot of one of your comorants drying its wings.

Love Sam x

Yep thatā€™s a toad! It just goes to show that all ponds are a great boon for wildlife and they all seem to rub along together ok!

Love Sam x

1 Like

Iā€™ve loved looking through this thread and Iā€™d like to add this photo. Iā€™ve had a beautiful Goldfinch in my garden, I managed to get a few pics and a video :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Jan! I love goldfinches and you have taken a beautiful picture of you visitor. I have planted some teasels in my garden so maybe I will have some of these lovely little birds myself when the autumn comes!

Love Sam x

1 Like

Thereā€™s all sorts in my garden slow worms, toads and frogs, newts, voles and mice (I know this because the cat brings them in!) We had a baby slow worm in the kitchen once. Lovely butterfly, might have been on the nature reserve behind my house

Pity I donā€™t have a picture that doesnā€™t include the hands of the man who left me three years ago!

2 Likes

Lovely slow-worm-another of my favourite animals. The butterfly is a comma-any hops near you as this is the host plant the caterpillars need to grow. As for the ex, it seems they are not an endangered species and can be released harmlessly into the wild :wink:

Love Sam x

It must be summer because the damselflies are back! Last year I had a very beautiful painted demoiselle as a visitor, but it was rather camera shy and I never got close enough for a shot. Here are this years flies so farā€¦

Love Sam x

2 Likes

I have a little mouse who visits my garden :mouse:, I managed to get a photo but not a very good one. Love the flutterby.

1 Like