Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

We get wild rabbits

Foxes although it is quite rare to see a fox in our garden

Pheasants, I do have a photo somewhere showing around 10 of them but I can’t find it at the moment

Mice

And these black dots on our house are ladybirds. The back of our house gets covered every summer

4 Likes

I took this photo from my back door, when I could hear the woodpecker calling. I looked out and he was just sat there in the tree by the patio! Really pleased with this pic!

Lesley :smiley:

3 Likes

These are some of my other regular garden visitors

I also have a badger sett at the bottom of the garden, but never seem to a get a very good photo!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this pic of the green woodpecker-they are another of my favourite birds, such great characters. One old name for them is the yaffle.

Love Sam x

1 Like

I think you must have been lucky to see the Muntjac, Lesley! I’m sure there are some in my neighbourhood, because I hear them sometimes at night, but they may as well be invisible :wink: Do you put anything out to tempt them? I’ve heard that badgers like peanuts…

Love Sam x

Great photo’s, it’s great to see so much diversity. :beetle: :rabbit2:

1 Like

Wow, there’s some great pics on this thread. We’ve got frogs and toads in our mini pond now, and one toad got a bit confused a couple of weeks ago :blush:

1 Like

It just goes to show how important gardens are to wildlife! I’m sure there will be much more to see on this thread as the year progresses :smile:

Love Sam x

Not sure how to break it to him :wink:

Love Sam x

1 Like

I hear the woodpeckers a lot, and sometimes catch glimpses of them. That photo was just one of those in the right place at the right time occasions!
The Muntjac are regular visitors. There are a few plants that I cannot grow as they must be a delicacy - as soon as I plant them they are eaten!
I do not tempt the badgers into the garden (but do not actively deter them either). They come and go as they please - but in the autumn they usually destroy my lawns and dig in places you don’t want them. I would still like to take a good photo though!
There is an amazing amount of wildlife around even living in the city (Bristol). I leave parts of the garden wild to encourage visitors and it seems to work.

1 Like

Not really wildlife in this pic but they only come because we feed the wild birds :blush:

1 Like

Amazing! Are they yours, Sarah, or does one of your neighbours keep them?

Love Sam x

They belong to the neighbours- but I want some now! I didn’t realise what amazing characters guinea fowl are. Sadly one of them has disappeared since this photo was taken, we’re all hoping she’s on a nest somewhere.

1 Like

Ooh let’s hope so! It would be wonderful to see little guinea chicks :smile:

Love Sam x

We have bats in the garden most nights but it’s along time since we’ve seen hedgehogs! :frowning:

1 Like

I have discovered signs of a hedgehog :slight_smile: I’ve been trying for a couple of years to tempt one into the garden with gaps in the fence and nice places to hide and it seems to have worked :slight_smile: I’ve not seen the actual hog yet but quite a few hedgehog poo’s. I’ll let you all know if I manage to spot her (or him) and post a photo if possible :smile:

1 Like

Awhile back I had mainly slugs in my garden, all varieties, but over the past week I too have noticed hedgehog poos. Still quite a few slugs so obviously more than my hog can feast on in one sitting. I am going to stake out one night to see if I can spot her as she uses my garden as a 'Drive Thru’
Love the idea of Mrs Tiggywinkle cleaning up my flower beds whilst I am sleeping,
Suzzie x

2 Likes

Thanks Tina! I love to see bats on the wing. The best time to see them is at dusk, just after the sun goes down so that they are sillouhetted against a twilight sky.

Love Sam x

It seems to me like the hedgehogs are coming back a little. There have been hedgehogs in my front garden this year for the first time in two or three years. Sadly the wall around the back prevents them from coming in to feast on those naughty molluscs.

Love Sam x

We have a female blackbird we have nicknamed ‘Mrs B’, she comes down onto a bench near our kitchen window and chirrups to be fed. We give her raisins, and have managed to entice her to within about a foot of us.

2 Likes