Garden Wildlife-What have you got living in your garden?

I insisted on ‘hoggy holes’ at the bottom of the fences to allow the ones in the area free run through my garden. Its paid off as yesterday afternoon the other half and I watch one run down the garden path in the shade of the plants and then pop through the hole into the wilds of next doors garden. Too busy being excited about seeing the hoggie to get a photo I’m afraid. Now contemplating ramps to give them access to the raised beds…

1 Like

Good luck with the photographs, Sasha! I was contemplating knocking a brick or two out of the bottom of my garden wall, but my husband drew the line at that (the horror!)

Love Sam x

I didn’t know they liked raisins, but it makes sense. They seem to be very keen on my strawberries!!!

Love Sam x

1 Like

When I’m at the day job I sometimes get bored so I watch a pair of blackbirds which use teamwork to steal fruit from the fruit and veg stall out the front of where I work. Mr blackbird will distract the stall owners by chirping at them and pretending to take pieces, meanwhile Mrs blackbird has hopped onto the other end of the stall and taken cherries or grapes anything she can grab quickly. Once she flys away Mr blackbird will follow

1 Like

Clever :joy:

Snails are taking over the world :frowning:

1 Like

They are today!

Sam x

I’ve been trying to get a photo of the buzzard that sits on our roof for months now, and yesterday managed to sneak up on him sitting on the telegraph pole across the road. It’s not the best picture as I took it with my phone and it makes everything look smaller and further away than it actually is. He was sitting a few feet away when I took this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thought I’d post a photo of my pond area on the allotment. Got my allotment in January and in April my husband and I created a pond at the back of the plot. We live in an old house with the most pointless backyard every (dark, North facing and damp) so growing anything is very very limited. So we were determined when we got the allotment we’d have a garden area and a wild area.

The little collage shows how the pond has progressed over the last few months.
Now it is permanently surrounded by buzzing bees, hoverflies and butterflies. And the pond (despite only putting pond plants in and nothing else) we always have frogs, water beetles, 1 types of water snails and plenty pond skaters skipping along the top. It’s my little haven! After scattering grass and wild flower seeds around in April we haven’t touched it- going to leave it alone until autumn when we will just trim it all down.

3 Likes

The pond looks great - what a transformation in such a short space of time.
We would love to create a pond in our garden, but suspect the dogs would use it as a paddling pool. :blush:

:blush: thanks! I totally love it! Thankfully it’s in a super peaceful spot on the allotment. :blush:
Every time I go I’m amazed at how fast it’s done what I wanted it to. I just assumed it wouldn’t look like much until next year- thankfully I was wrong!

Slightly off topic, but I was out walking this evening and saw this beautiful wild flower meadow area …

I thought it was lovely :smiley:

3 Likes

This is what I’m hoping to achieve in miniature around my pond. Haha it’s beautiful!! and helps all wildlife! :blush: thanks for posting!

1 Like

That sounds great … I hope you achieve it around your pond :smiley:

The local council used to cut down all the grass etc in this area, but now they have just planted it to encourage the wildlife, just like you said. I must admit I was sceptical at first, thinking that they were just saving money by not cutting the grass etc, but now I see the results, I think its beautiful!

In Devon they call buzzards ‘Pole Eagles’!

1 Like

I like that, it sound so much nicer than buzzard :slight_smile:

I’m glad you managed to catch your buzzard on camera, Donna! I’m afraid the sparrowhawks remain elusive. I did spot the male in a tree a couple of weeks ago, but as soon as I took my eye off him he vanished never to reappear. They did leave me a lovely present of a dead wood pigeon on my lawn when I came back from holiday yesterday though. No photos of that-much too gory :grimacing:

Love Sam x

1 Like

That was a nice present to come home to :smiley: lol

1 Like

Yes, I was very grateful to be out there with a mask, gloves and a spade at 7 pm yesterday night! I had to double bag it so my bin doesn’t smell.

Love Sam x

1 Like

Maybe it was bringing you food like a cat does lol I was lighting the BBQ a few weeks ago when my cat turned up with a freshly killed pigeon and stood there looking at me as if to say " Well human I brought you meat, aren’t you going to cook it!" :smile_cat:

1 Like