General chit chat thread

Fantastic news x

We had one ginger cat who decide to share the day with the cottage three doors along because they cooked chicken or lamb for lunch, couldn’t compete with that, just had to leave him to it!!!

2 Likes

Hi Tina what non earth have you been up to… hope you recover soon xx

Happy Days, I just saw my first Brimstone butterfly today, now have to look out for the Orange Tip next!! I know it is silly but it makes my heart ‘jump for joy’ even after nearly 40yrs of living here. I was brought up 7 miles from this village and had never seen them before that.

1 Like

It’s always nice spotting new wildlife, even if it’s just first time for this year.

And speaking of wildlife, it seems mouse season has started. Affra hadn’t brought any in for ages, but I just went downstairs to “have you seen where the traps are? There’s a giant mouse in here…”
Turns out the mouse was too big to fit in the traps (humane ones) anyway :sweat_smile: Now safely in the field across the road.

1 Like

Well a happy ending for the mouse!!
We had one that some how got into our house, it was massive, as I persuaded our cat in though one door we ushered the mouse went out of another!! I felt really guilt as I am sure the same mouse went to my M I L’s house and had been munching its way through the cereals and biscuits in her cupboard!!!

…and I saw my first adder basking in the sunshine one the dark warm tarmac byway I use to cycle over the river to the little town and library on the other side. I was on my bike and had to swerve to miss it. They are beautiful, but I don’t much like them…had one one allotment last year, hiding in the raspberry canes. Going to look for something fluffier or more colourful in my garden today.
Happy Wednesday everyone xx

1 Like

@thistledownandHOPE
Happy Wednesday to you
Wow amazing seeing a basking adder…
We have them in our surrounding fields, I haven’t seen one since not having our dogs. My S-I-L’s labrador had been bitten on the nose and was very ill but made a full recovery, thank goodness. We have grass snakes in the compost pile.
Just seeing the sun cheers everybody up!!!
Spring is officially here on Friday!!!

Wondered if anyone wanted to ressurect this thread during this horrible time? My anxiety is in overdrive and I could do with the distraction of a bit of chatter!

I’ve been contemplating doing a bit of baking but not sure whether to use the eggs up or not!
Maybe I’ll just make some cornflake cakes!

Anyone else been baking anything lovely during lockdown?

1 Like

Hubby made some lovely cheese scones yesterday, yum yum. Think I’ll cook a spag bol for tomorrow, and use the remaining mince to make some meat and potato pies.

1 Like

I never know what to do with mince - my go to recipes are cottage pie, spag bol and pasta bake. Do you make your own pastry for the pies Lynn?

1 Like

Cottage pie is one of our favourites as well, I do sometimes make a batch of chilli but I’m the only one who eats it. I’m not the best pastry maker it’s always a bit hit and miss, so I do sometimes cheat and use ready made pastry.

1 Like

The last time I made pastry was probably 35 years ago during a home economics lesson!
I must give it another go!

1 Like

So far, I’ve found a mandolin that I bought a few years back and used it to make dauphinoise potatoes. Also made a seed cake, and found a spiralizer at the back of a drawer. I was going to try Chelsea buns, but we have no milk until Wednesday.

2 Likes

Ooh, lovely - my Mum used to make chelsea buns when I was a kid - they were delicious. You’ll have to show us a photo when you make them (when you get some milk)

2 Likes

For egg avoiding baking my first thoughts would be flapjack, cookies (if your recipe uses eggs, replace with golden syrup) or crumble.

I made brownies (with mini eggs for added easteriness) last week, and my mum has said she’ll do cherry scones this week. I always look forward to her cherry scones because bought ones never have enough cherries in for my liking.

All I ever make with mince is spag bol, lasagne and chilli… but it is quorn mince for me.

2 Likes

Mmm - you’ve made me want some brownies now Kim :slight_smile: Om nom

1 Like

love that film… I am just reading the latest Joanne Harris book about Vianne and the chocolate shop and magical wind, and I always see johnny Depp when I read about the Roux character ! I’m also trying to get motivated to tackle a biggish canvas which is languishing , [ and not getting anywhere nice]

1 Like

Hope you get the milk for the chelsea buns ! :yum: I used to love making those ! I can smell that cinnamon …apropos of absolutely nothing… I have a granddaughter named Rhiannon Eleanor Rose ! who is lovely xxxxx enjoy your day

1 Like

Morning everyone :slight_smile: Does anyone else struggle a bit when they first wake up? I always feel really down until I get motivated to do something. I think it’s because the day ahead seems so long!
I’m going to finish some work today and have a little pootle around in the garden. I STILL need to sow some more veg seeds, so I’ll do that!

1 Like

Having a rough few days and really struggling with my mental health. Everyone at home is getting a bit fed up with me now! I’ve got a few orders to sort out this morning, so I’ll do that in a minute and then we need to go and get the food shopping.
I also need to get the kiln on today but I need to finish a couple of things, so hopefully I’ll have time later on to do that.
I’ve got to re-wash two loads of washing too as I came downstairs at 5am to find the cat trying to bury a dead mouse in the washing basket! They are not normally allowed out during the night but I had been wondering around wide awake during the night and they were bothering me to go out, soI Iet them. Wish I hadn’t now, I could have stopped that poor mouse being killed :frowning: