Handmade Items at Cheap Prices

You might want to add sale items reduced but charge a bit more. After paypal and folksy fees you’ll end up with small charge. Also people don’t tend to buy that cheaply they equate it with poor quality.

I didn’t even bother to look to see which shop it was as I’ve already as a necklace at that price I wouldn’t even look.

You might want to think what kind of feel a £1 necklaces gives your shop. Remember it’s not just about what you put into your shop but the overall image you are creating.

Hope that helps no one is trying to be nastie or upset anyone, we are just shocked.

I am not implying anyone being nasty, more bothered I might have come across wrong and upset everyone! :frowning: I might just take my jewellery out of my shop tbh as it is not the focus for me any more. Only problem with that is what to do with it all…

I had the same problem when I changed from general crafts to focusing on my felt work. I had lots of things left that I just wanted rid of and tried to sell off cheaply but as others have said people just aren’t interested. I managed to shift a bit of it on that well known auction site (some of it even went for a decent price!) The remainder is still sitting in boxes, really must give it another go sometime, really I should just throw it out but can’t bring myself to do it!

Well I figure it’s worth attempting to get rid of for a while at least, after which people will be getting jewellery as presents for the forseeable future lol

1 Like

I’m sorry if I offended you, Eleanor. I was talking generally, not about people having clearances or sales and it definitely wasn’t personal…

I am sorry if I offended you too, feel really bad now for starting this thread, was just really shocked at such low prices for a jewellery set. It didn’t say that the items were sale prices so thought that was the price you were selling at.

Well that is my fault for being a bit of a plonker and not changing the titles! Am more bothered that I annoyed people, rather than offended lol. Crossed wires ahoy!

2 Likes

Get yourself a stall at school spring/ summer fete - your jewellery is bright and cheerful so I think teenagers (and parents) would go for it. (Just remember to charge enough to make back the cost of the stall!) Have a look on stallfinder.com to see if anyone has one listed in your area or contact the pta of your local school.

1 Like

Ooooh that is a good idea, thank you :slight_smile:

I know what you mean!

I find hand knitted items priced so incredibly low. Making me look I am on a different planet! Hand knitting takes time and I can estimate how much time it took someone to make something. The price seems to only reflect the yarn and fees - nothing else. Maybe they are doing Crafts as a hobby or just want to make extra money. Some sellers say it’s a hobby for them, most don’t. I try to focus on what I’m doing and hope customers will make the right choice for them. There is nothing else I / we can do.

2 Likes

I sometimes sell some of my older items or the plaques I’ve made as examples to show at craft fairs over on e… bay for silly prices. Sometimes they go and sometimes I get stuck with them. You can list 20 things per month with no listing fee. It maybe worth giving it a go.

Eleanor do you sell on Ebay ??? I don’t know if it applies to everyone, but they do 20 free listings a month and you could put your jewellery stuff as an auction listing so you might only get a £1 but hopefully you can get more. Ebay fees are higher than here, so I would probably put a minimum price of £1.50. I had some pieces/beads I didn’t like so took the things apart and sold them as packs of beads on Ebay. I only made about £1.00 profit per pack but it was better than nothing :slight_smile:

Just looked at your shop and your items are most definitely worth more than £1 !!!. I would definitely give Ebay a go. If I don’t sell items on here or on the other side, I reduce the prices a bit and list on Ebay and so far I have managed to sell quite a bit.

Not a bad idea! Thank you for all the advice, I will definitely take it on board :slight_smile:

Well your sale has worked for me. I’ve just bought your lovely green beads. Thank you :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eleanor, I agree with the ebay advice, but I would tend to put it in bundles if you have a fair bit of stock to shift and you want a quick sale. Stress on it being handmade, a craft fair opportunity or a small business starter package - that kind of thing. Think of some good keywords to communicate the quality. Honestly if you are prepared to sell at £1 per item - there’s room for somebody else to make a profit on it, but it needs to be a tempting package, effectively wholesale. The prices you are pitching here are less than wholesale even for some mass produced stuff and I think that’s why it’s caused a bit of a stir on the forum.

I’m sure everyone here wishes you all the best and looks forward to you finding your ideal way forward.

Julie

Can I plead the case for Charity shops, they are always wanting items. If you can afford to give them some of your items that haven’t sold you are helping a worthy cause, plus giving yourself more space. If my items aren’t selling, I give them to my local charity shops, as I hate things hanging around, because I get sick of seeing them. Once I have created, I like to sell it, but there is so much competition I am realistic in that if something hasn’t sold within 3 months it will never sell, so off to the Charity shop it goes. Marg.

4 Likes

I am surprised you haven’t sold your jewellery, but I must say your photos are not great. Your designs are good. Why not give it another shot and redo your listings.

Fab stuff! Sorry to respond a bit late, I have been away from my computer for a few days and not been able to get on to reply.

The 20 free items on ebay are for private sellers only, not business sellers. If you are using a private account to sell as a business, you could get kicked off ebay…

3 Likes

Hi Eleanor
Wanted to say I’m so pleased you put your prices up on your jewellery.
I got my set and necklace today and they are soooo lovely.
I’m doing a stall Friday and If I do well and it’s still there I’ll be getting another bracelet.
Don’t give up on the jewellery making because the items I brought are so lovely.
Well pleased thankyou