Has Anyone Else Read This About Facebook

About a month ago, Facebook announced that it’s testing a “Buy” call-to-action button on ads and Page posts, which enables users to purchase products directly from businesses right from their News Feeds. The test is limited to a handful of small and medium-sized businesses for the time being, but it’s entirely possible that this could be the biggest and most important move into e-commerce that Facebook has ever made.

Do you expect the Buy button to make a significant impact on mobile conversions? Let us know in the comments.

Facebook seems to think it’s a pretty significant one. It even killed off its Gifts offering, presumably turning its e-commerce focus to this. Given that Facebook’s ad business must compete with the likes of Google and others that offer product listing ads, it’s high time that advertisers have a way to get “buy” clicks from Facebook users.

Scot Wingo, CEO of e-commerce product provider ChannelAdvisor, sees Facebook’s new efforts as particularly significant for businesses selling online. He recently wrote a series of blog posts about the Buy button and its implications. You can find links to all three posts here. Facebook has dabbled in e-commerce various times in the past, but Wingo thinks the buy button is “a step in the right direction.”

3 Likes

Sometime tells me you’ll have to pay for that button. As they already discourage free promoting buy only showing 1% of your followers your business posts. As they want you to pay for advertising.

I would also be aware of buying for Clicks’ as they will be Click Farms which I posted about before.

1 Like

It’ll still be interesting to see if it works though.

If Facebook goes down this line of e-commerce even more then I for one will stop using it.
The whole point of Facebook was for it to be a way to keep in touch with friends and family, chatting and looking af photos.

It is just turning into another selling platform! If I want to buy something cheap I go to Ebay or Amazon.

If I want a quality handmade item for myself or as a gift, I go to Folksy or Etsy.

I would like to keep Facebook as a place to chat and meet friends, not to be bombarded with adverts and hard sell.

Shirley x

2 Likes

I agree…after the changes in FB, I find it difficult to imagine that they will offer something free. Maybe they’ll charge a commision fee for sales? It would be interesting to see how they go about it and what results it brings…

That’s how I use FB too. If anyone wants to buy from me, I direct them to my shops. I’ve spent a lot of time creating them, stocking them and running them and I want to see them growing. FB will always make changes that suit them as a business and I am not going to get sucked in. In general, I’m not a big fan of social media.

2 Likes

What an interesting subject…thank you for posting…Mx

I’m the same as you . To me FB is just a tool to use for my Folksy shop. I hate social media I never used any social media site’s until I opened my Folksy Shop.

If I didn’t have a shop I would delete all my social media accounts. I belongs to plenty of specialized forums ie craft forums car forums etc but on them I have user names so unless you knew my user names you’d never find me. lol

1 Like