Folksy Ltd

How can you be more productive (without being more stressed)?

(Camilla) #1

What are your top tips for being productive?
What would help you be more efficient?
Do you have any time-management questions for our expert?

Lots of designers and makers work from home where it’s all too easy to get sucked in by other jobs around the house - and as we all get more plugged into technology, we also find ourselves increasingly distracted by incoming emails, Facebook replies or Instagram posts. Is it even possible to be creative while surrounded by technology, or do you have to switch off to be able to make?

This is what we’re going to be talking about in this week’s #folksyhour - and we’ve enlisted the help of productivity ninja Graham Allcot.

Graham is the author of the best-selling book ‘How to be a Productivity Ninja’ and his company, Think Productive, trains leading organisations across the world (like ebay, Volvo, Vodafone, the National Trust) on how to be more productive and attentive in their working day. Graham will be sharing his tips on how to get more done but stress less. We like the sound of that.

So what would you like to ask Graham?

Folksy Hour takes place on Twitter on the #folksyhour hashtag this Tuesday 21 July from 8-9pm, but if you can’t join us then, why not post your question to Graham here and we’ll try to pass it on.

(Ali Millard) #2

Oo, I love this #folksyhour topic.
I have a tip. I’ve heard that genetically, most human beings have around a 20 minute attention spam when doing one task. So my top tip is to set a timer for 20 minutes, focus on your work for that entire 20 minutes and then have a tiny break, like checking FB for example. Then go back to setting the timer again for 20 minutes and repeat, it seems to work really well for me when I start to feel that I’ve lost focus on what I’m doing.

(Kelly) #3

That’s a really good point Ali @millyandpip. I find I get distracted by things, i.e an email arriving. If you actually counted the amount of minutes you took a break throughout each day you’d be surprised at the total! x

(Deborah Jones) #4

The best thing for keeping my nose to the grindstone is listening to audio books while I work -
Will try and join in tomorrow …if my story has finished :slight_smile:

(Camilla) #5

I totally agree about taking a break Ali. One of the articles I read says that just as our bodies work on 90-minute sleep rhythms at night, our bodies work in 90 minute cycles in the day too. So we should only ever do the same thing for 90 minutes and then rest, or get up and do something different, like going for a walk, or think about something totally unconnected.

“To operate at our best, we need to renew our energy at 90-minute intervals – not just physically, but also mentally and emotionally. When we build this rhythm into our lives, it changes everything.”

I also read that the brain fires more neurons in the morning, so you should always make any important decisions first thing rather than in the afternoon when the brain is more sluggish.

I think it’s such an interesting topic. I’m glad you do too.

(Fiona Thomson) #6

me too @DeborahJonesJewellery!
creative bliss - brain listening to my stories and hands doing their busy work. i become completely absorbed in making, and hours can pass without even (thinking about) peeking facebook.

otherwise, i have to be strict with myself about leaving the internet downstairs or i’d be responding to comments, messages & emails and never get any of the good stuff done.

(Susan Mochrie) #7

I feel that much of my new work is about problem solving. So if something seems difficult to make, it’s best to walk away and come back when the time is right. I bet other craftspeople wake up very early in the morning with a eureka moment…works a treat. It’s nothing new, just the same as taking a break to let the info sink in.

(Ali Millard) #8

I completely agree with you @talulahblue I’ve learnt over the years to put things to one side if they aren’t working and to come back to them when I’ve solved the problem :slight_smile:

(Camilla) #9

Ooooh it looks like we might have another special #folksyhour guest tonight too, which would be INCREDIBLE because he’s the author of a book on time-management that totally changed my life. I’ll keep you posted!

(Karen Ellam) #10

I can’t wait for FolksyHour tonight. It’s going to be a good en :smiley:

I constantly struggle to stay focused as I’m easily distracted. I think it’s easier to stray from a task when working from home as there’s so many things going on.
Most of the time housework chores distract me.

My phone & tablet break my concentration too. I find if I stop what I’m doing to check an email or message I then get side tracked and find myself gazing at Instagram or Pinterest.

I really would like to be more focused.

Karen

(Camilla) #11

Eeek! It’s confirmed!!!

Our second expert guest on #folksyhour tonight is David Allen.

I can’t tell you how excited I am about this. He wrote the book that changed my life, Getting Things Done.

This is his bio:
One of the world’s most influential thinkers on productivity, David Allen is the author of the ground-breaking and best-selling ‘Getting Things Done’. Forbes Magazine named him as one of America’s top 5 executive coaches and The American Management Association ranked him in the top ten business leaders in 2014.

We’re incredibly lucky that he’s agreed to share his advice with us on Twitter tonight, so I really really really hope as many of you can come as possible!

(Jacqueline Ostrowka) #13

I have several breaks through the task in hand, say if i’m making rings i will cut, shape and solder the bands then have 5 mins trying to catch up on social media before starting on the bezels, as for fitting the housework in … well that’s gets done eventually :slight_smile:

(Emily Clayton) #14

Hi everyone - oh my goodness I must have a big problem then - when I start something I cannot wait to finish it and will keep on working until I have…bad, bad, bad I know. I think it is because I sit at work and my head is so full of all the lovely ideas that I could make and when I get home I let loose…my poor husband… thank goodness he is so understanding LOL.

Happy crafting
Emily

(Camilla) #16

If you missed the chat about productivity last night, you can catch up here

I’ll also be summarising the main points in a blog post. But in the meantime, there’s a great new article on our blog full of time management tips.

(tmsjewellery) #17

I always think the key to getting more done is to be less stressed. If you take time to de-stress, your working times become so much more productive… easier said than done!!

(Pennyjanedesigns) #18

Great thread!
I read somewhere that if you are working and then get distracted by emails, phone calls, internet browsing etc it can take on average 23 minutes to get back ‘on task’ again. I try to work with a notebook and pen next to me for all those random thoughts that pop in - and then have a look later…and write another to do list!!