Folksy Ltd

How did you learn your craft?

(Elsa Fuster Mears) #104

A library book is what got me started. Determination (and plenty of YouTube tutorials!) is what kept me going.

(Jacqueline Ostrowka) #105

My gran taught my how to knit. crochet and sew,
once the kids started nursery i got into Jewellery making, all self taught.

Got to a stage where i had to finish work due to ill health but i’m a born fighter and even though i could barely stand/walk or grip anything i was determined that was not going to be it, I went to alternative therapies and decided to make jewellery with healing stones, which kept my mind focused.
I tried other things along the way but the Jewellery side was the main focus.
I decided i needed to do more and better myself so decided it was time to learn silversmith Jewellery making, again self taught, and i do believe my craft has turned my life around, I love the creating so much, it throws up it’s own challenges but the best bit for me is when I get commission work and produce the item they want, and that’s where i am for now :smile:

Sorry bit of a ramble there :smiley:

(Zoe Kilbride) #106

Brash Bijoux started life in a little shed in Essex… wanting something a little different I created the jewellery I always wanted to wear and now fully adorned, my creations are to spread from Essex far and wide :slight_smile:

All welcome to come and get brashed up! https://folksy.com/shops/BrashBijoux

(Kylie Tilley) #107

I am really into sewing. I learnt through alot of pactice in college trying out new crafts and i was stuck with sewing bunting

(Sue Beacham) #108

I am a self taught person in all my artwork, especially painting, sewing, needle felting and all of my crafts I’ve read books watched YouTube demos, so I would say I have learnt from other people but a lot of my crafting is from my inner self.

(Miss Orysia Zwiryk) #109

I studied A level Creative Cards at College, for 7 years, learning all about popular card crafts.
My main craft is Knitting, I am largely self taught I have mastered Fair Isle, Entrelac, modular or domino knitting, sock knitting using YouTube, books and magazines, Aran cables I can knit up an aran jumper no problem, My Mother taught me basic knitting, I have been knitting for 50 years heck of a long time to learn. I have just started designing knitwear.

I luve Embroidery very much too, studied at College for 6 years specializing in Hardanger, Blackwork and cross stitch.

I am starting a Costume Jewllery and Beading course for 1 year starting next week. I already know a bit about making jewellery through Jewellery Maker Sky channel, but mostly from previous jeweellery courses at College. Next September I hope to contine studying Jewellery making using sterling silver and gemstones.

(Suzanne Jackson) #110

My mum taught me how to knit when I was four then followed that up with cross stitch, tapestry and sewing as we used to enter a lot of local craft shows which had a little bit of everything going on and were a great way to keep us entertained in the summer holidays. My best friend recently taught me how to crochet which was something I’d always liked the look of but just couldn’t understand. I’m now in the process of stitching together my first ever blanket which should fit a double bed and consists of 326 granny squares…I might have got a bit carried away for my first project!

I’m also learning a little bit about jewellery making through trial and error really as I wanted to do something a bit different with my miniature dinosaurs. I’m quite enjoying that and knitting with wire is certainly a different experiance but I think I’m getting the hang of it and certainly have lots of ideas for ways to use it :smiley:

(Sue Phillips) #111

Always dabbled in craft work when young and always enjoyed the practical classes at school, and even though I didn’t get the chance to do needlework O and A Levels (you weren’t allowed to take both cookery and needlework) I was able to pursue both at college, and eventually qualify as a Home Economics teacher - food and textiles. Dressmaking was primarily taught at college (but it gave me a good grounding) so all my crafting skills were self taught and picked up along the way.

(Morag Lloyds) #112

Hi
I have had a long journey before arriving here!
created from a young age My mother being the force of all inspiration… she was very very creative… a potter a sewer she would sit me with her surrounded my 60’s textiles lumps of clay… and the freedom to explore…
In the 80’s I worked in London doing design work for various companies, I really wanted to go to art school but I couldnt get my English standard grade and it wasnt until much later in life when I came home to Scotland I finally got accepted because of a portfolio I had put together that I found out I was dyslexic and my life changed so much then. After graduating in illustration I went on to study fine art and then to teach for the college in the community helping people get into college without the standard grades but with a good portfolio…just like myself !!!
However another change due to a 2 month stay in hospital last year and long term health problems that mean I cannot work, have made me rooted to the spot in my studio which has been a good thing in a way ( every cloud and all that)… stops me jumping about, which I’m very guilty of… I now show my paintings with 15 galleries around the UK and I am now building up the illustration side of things I cant do fairs, just have not the energy, so, Folksy I hope is going to help me get my illustration work seen…and I hope earn me some money too…

(TerryChanceMosaicsEtc) #113

I can recall being at my mother’s knee when she was sewing on her old Singer sewing machine, making all of our clothes. I have always made things and for a few years sold patchwork bags and jackets in Cambridge.

Mosaics was a natural progression with more texture to play with. I have done a few courses in mosaics and jewellery and each time I come away with something new and exciting to explore. I’m best at having a go so after my first mosaic course I just ordered lots of supplies and got stuck in. I have lots of books too but mostly I just get an idea and get going - the idea always turns into something unexpected!

I just love the whole process, the materials, the glue, the grout, the tools, the glass, the beads, stones, found objects. It really is my passion!

(BonnieBoon) #114

I was taught to knit by my Mum when very young, about 5 years old I think. Then because she made many of my clothes, I just watched her and learned how to use a paper pattern and a sewing machine. Never quite got the hang of her old Singer treddle machine, until she got it converted to electric. I learned crochet from my very patient Granny and still have the ancient bone crochet hook she gave me to practice with. I get my fidgety fingers from the lovely women in my family. They always had to be making something with their hands. Must be in the genes.

(David Payne) #115

Hi all.
I am self taught (YouTube, Google and the like) and oh boy am I still learning! I loved metal work at school but that was mostly working with steel, in the workshop lathes. milling machines etc. I am a bricklayer by trade and just live making things.

(Paula Rayson) #116

When I was at school, self taught on the basics, 2 years of silver-smithing at night school during my a levels (wish I had the facilities to continue it). Since restarting, watching demos on JM, 2 Wirework courses and 1 on Viking knitting. I can often look at a final piece and see how it was created, the wire wrapped pendants eluded me, so I invested in the courses. Am always experimenting and wanting to learn, caging and prong setting are next on the list.

(Helen Billingsley) #117

I did a degree in ceramics and then worked for another Potter for about 10 years whilst developing my own work then about 4 years ago I decided to go it alone and be totally self employed. Building my business, it’s a slow burn juggling with family life but I am getting there!

(juancarlosved) #118

I love artworks! My mom and grandma taught me the basics fundamentals when I was 12. After that I continued studying by myself.

(ginarahman) #119

Hi all. I have just opened my Folksy shop. I learnt to knit when I was young, by my Nan and Mum. I taught myself to crochet after falling in love with so many crochet patterns.

Learning to Crochet was a real labour of love and I gave up a fair few times, it just never made sense. Then October 2015 I saw a pattern for a winter Scoodie and I just had to make it. It all fell into place and I have not looked back since.

October, November and December were really busy for me Via my Facebook page and I had lots of requests, It got me to thinking about giving this a go via Folksy, so here I am with my brand new shop.

My first listing is below.

Thanks for reading and I hope to get to know you all.

(pamcodner) #120

Everything I know, has been self taught. If I see something I really like then I research how I can do it myself. There is no greater satisfaction that learning to make something your self and have other people compliment you on it.

(Lorraine Burt) #121

I did a graphic design and illustration degree which was really great, but my best illustration work was always slightly 3D with handmade papers, wire twisting etc. Part of my degree was a self initiated project and I chose to design a range of greeting cards and market them. I took them to a few gift/ gallery shops in Lincoln who sold them and kept ordering more and it went from there. My wedding cards were consistently my best sellers so it evolved into wedding stationery which brings me up to date! Love what I do :relaxed:

(McRtyCards) #122

Learning to make cards was an accidental and gradual process. In 1980, I taught myself to letterpress print, to make photographic negatives, to make letterpress printing blocks, to heat emboss and then to have a go at watercolour painting. There was a little bit of sourcing information, equipment and materials along the way. By the end of 1981 I made and sold my first card.
By the late 1990’s I had made many thousands of cards, was selling from my home workshop, at craft and trade fairs, direct to trade, and in a modest way was exporting internationally.
All this with no computer, no email, no mobile phone. Lol, what a different world!
The need for finance and time to raise a family meant that I didn’t make cards again until a couple of years ago when I re-discovered paper making and experimented with innumerable mediums, creating cards as I went along.
I discovered on line selling, opening my first shop (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/McRtyCards) in November 2013 where I display individual, small quantities and bespoke art cards in a wide range of styles and genres.
I’m new to Folksy and am slowly stocking my shop – I hope you enjoy browsing or find a card you love in one or other shop.
I’d love to hear from you with ideas for cards and advice about promotion.

(Ep2 Glass) #123

I’ve always loved old photographs, illustrations and images and after being on a very basic glass fusing course realised I could combine the two to make the images permanent. After much experimentation, research, time, disasters and successes I can now take more or less any image and turn it into glass - which is not to say the odd disaster doesn’t still occur (glass can be a bit fickle :slight_smile: ). Glass is a great medium to work in and to be able to marry it with my first love (old photographs) is amazing although I am still learning all the time about what works and what doesn’t. Much more fun to try to teach yourself and to work out problems if you can. If all else fails - there’s always Google!!