How does everyone feel this morning?

juncker has a lot to answer for then :wink: - saying there would be no reform
(i see hollande, the italian pm and the greek pm are NOW saying the EU needs reform)

oh well.
no doubt i’ve now committed folksysuicide by publically stating my personal political opinion,
so here is another, before i LEAVE this discussion <— little bit of referendum humour (too soon?)

“what our country needs now is national unity, determination and common purpose”

11 Likes

Thanks Fiona! I enjoyed reading that article because, amongst other things, it gave me some hope that the results of leaving won’t be a country run purely for the bankers with the vulnerable kicked into the gutter and left there. If the Green party, the Labour party and the Liberals can get their act together then hopefully we won’t have an extreme Tory government dictating the agenda next time we vote in a general election and moderate laws and policies will prevail.

It has worried me that some of the poorest areas (especially in Wales and the Northeast of England) have voted for this result overwhelmingly without realizing that the infrastructure funding they currently enjoy comes from a European fund which will be withdrawn now.

I suspect that this government will be keen to enact many of the most reviled European laws into English law as soon as possible because they do suit big business and our UK government is certainly not immune from the anti-democratic forces of corporate lobbyists.

Another suspicion I have, which I hope will not materialize, is that the Tories are keen to turn the UK into a kind of island tax haven, but without the nice weather. If people were to examine the economy of the Cayman Islands they would see why this is a terrible idea for ordinary people in this country and only benefits multi-millionaires.

As another person mentioned, this is not me attacking anybody else’s vote, but as a law graduate I have, perhaps. a little more insight than some into the way in which the EU and UK law worked together and how much difficulty there may be for the UK in trying to untie this cat’s cradle of laws and regulations before everyone can really get on with improving this country.

Sam x

5 Likes

Absolutely. Well said. This was a truly democratic statement by the people of a very great country against Brussels arrogance and lack of democracy. Nothing in my case to do with racism or anything remotely connected, just the one chance we have to stand up for our views.

I am encouraged by the, for Britain, extraordinary turnout. Maybe people will start to be interested in the affairs of their country again and stop the complacency of the past several years.

Fir the record, I love being part of Europe. I’m in France right now and surrounded by people of different European nationalities. Business as usual. We all still wished each other bonjour et bonsoir yesterday and chatted and smiled
I’ve been visiting Europe since I was 11, well before I voted to stay in the Common Market !
. Still looks, sounds, smells the same now as it did then and as it did on Thursday.
It will sort itself out. Stop panicking. You never know we might well keep that Common Market but a better, fairer version.

I Am sad though that my daughter does not agree, is afraid she may lose her job.

PS I will say no more on this subject.

9 Likes

Common sense at last!!! @JOYSofGLASS we managed perfectly well before we were in the European Union and we will again.

4 Likes

I did see a post on yahoo about rats in a French bakery,do as we say and not as we do.

1 Like

I am actually very glad that we had a referendum. I was getting sick of hearing people bitch about the EU situation, either for or against, but nobody actually doing anything about it. Now it has been through the democratic process and a decision has been made.

Of course not everybody will be happy at the outcome. If it was an easy situation to fix we wouldn’t have needed a vote in the first place. I hope that now it’s all over, the polarisation will start to fade and we can get on with normal life again. That’s not to belittle the views of either side, but from my own personal dislike of extremism or any other -ism.

We have to wait and see what the negotiators work out, and I wish them all the very best in their efforts. We can be sure that over the next months and years there will be many changes to deal with, and what is good for one person may be bad for another. But isn’t that true of everyday life?

12 Likes

Thing is the world has changed and if we look back before we were in it wasn’t that great any way.

It’s going to be hard work and I think a lot of people are in for some huge disappointments and unfortantually there’s going to be people who are going to be even worse off than they are at the moment.

You all Know I voted leave but I want to distance myself from those that hurl abuse at women and children,I voted for a better Britain as I saw it and this is not it by a long shot.
That sort of behaviour is the fast track back to the stone age.

5 Likes

I think it’s unsettling for many people that wanted to Remain. We’ve been part of the EU for such a long time, and it’ll be new ground for many to be outside of it. I do think the Remain camp should’ve pointed out the positive things of being part of the EU and I think it said a lot when the most Googled search term in the UK was “What is the EU?” the day after the referendum. Again something the Remain camp should’ve explained IMHO. Bit disappointing that some people didn’t know what they were voting for on both sides of the campaign! But we’re all adults, we can find out info if we want to, and be responsible for the decisions we make at the ballot box.

I do think those that are negatively affected directly by the vote to leave will be extremely unhappy for some time. That’s understandable, and people should be sympathetic to that.

9 Likes

I am totally fed up with politics & don’t think it a subject for here .
The best place for keyboard warriors, at this moment in time, is in the local Watering Hole.
That’s where folk have always sorted the world’s problems out & left them in the pub before returning home. End of story. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here we are, 48 hours after the results were announced, and we still don’t appear to have a captain to guide this wayward ship.

It’s really beginning to look like the leaders of the campaign to leave did not actually think that the country would vote to leave the EU. Boris Johnson stood behind that Leave HQ podium on Friday and gave a seriously lacklustre speech urging absolutely no haste to #TakeControl and since then it’s been a yawning silence. They literally have no plan of what to do now - or surely they would have spelled it out already. The leadership of this country now seems to be a lot like a hot potato that no one wants to be in charge of. What a joke.

The longer that they spend prevaricating, the worse it’s going to be for all of us. I hope Monday brings some real decisions in the very least.

3 Likes

Until David Cameron officially tells the EU that we are leaving, nothing can be done. It may take 2 years to finalise our leaving, so we will have to wait and see. Someone will come forward from the Conservative Government who is willing to take this enormous task on, whether it’s Borris Johnson or someone else, the party will decide. But at least whoever is Prime Minister they know they have a great burden on their shoulders and they will not be taking on the job lightly.

Let’s see what happens, there is going to be good and there is going to be bad, which to my mind is what we had being part of the EU, but we are a great country and we have survived far worse than this in the past. In the scheme of things our membership of the EU was only a short period in historical terms.

8 Likes

Parliament is in recess, they’re back in the House Of Commons tomorrow. I don’t think rushing anything through is a good idea right now.

2 Likes

Nothing like a good excess,sorry reccess when the country needs sorting out,sorry but if it were power lines down the workers would be expected to fix them in a hurricane,but they are in reccess while they contemplate how hard everyone else must now work.
It reminds me of how hitler (not worth a capital) lost the war as he was having a nap and no one could mobilise the panzer divisions.

2 Likes

I’ve finished my Brexit/Regrexit poem now and I rather like it (well I would, wouldn’t I). Do please have a read and give me your thoughts. It is intended to be very light hearted much like a political cartoon is, and not to be taken seriously at all. This is why I have started a different thread for it and any other poems there might be.

If I write anything else about anything else, I will put it on the same thread and of course everybody else is very welcome to do the same.

Love Sam x

I can’t find your poem :slight_smile:

1 Like

@plainprimitives

You can read it here Sarah:

Poetry Corner-I promised a poem on another thread and here it is!

2 Likes

Thanks @HartAndCraft! I should have put in the link as well-sorry folks :blush:

Sam x

the company my son works for has funding from the European social fund, who knows what will happen now ?

I feel so sad, and worried even days afterwards. None of us know what is going to happen. All of our futures are now uncertain, racism is rife and the racists feel vindicated, we have taken a massive step backwards, and I fear very much the backlash when we get it, and the recovery process. I worry Scotland will leave us, and that there will be bad blood there.
It’s a complete mess brought on by ignorance, lies, and intolerant ukip, no matter which way it is dressed up.
A sad time for England

3 Likes