How much of yourself are you prepared to share online?

Yes, that is a really good point about showing the time and effort it takes to make a handmade object. I have occasionally made timeline posts for my pottery because I often get people asking me if I can make something and have it ready for the end of the week… not everyone would know about having to dry the clay and then fire it twice, so it can also let people know about turnaround times.

5 Likes

There are some really interesting thoughts in this thread about social media- thank you @dotterypottery for starting this!

I think for myself, my thoughts are open to change. I’m only active predominantly on IG, I opened it purely because I realised I needed a social media presence for my Folksy shop but actually, as time has gone on, I have found myself sharing snippets of my life and inspiration that leads to the making of a piece (all within my comfort zone) I don’t have anyone in my life that uses social media and if they do, their accounts are private (I completely respect that and if mum- our shops crocheter says she isn’t comfortable with her picture up, there is certainly no pressure) I brave it from time to time, knowing I can always delete, or move the post. so it’s not visible on IG- sadly whatever you post to any social media is always ‘out there’ somewhere and that’s our reality.

In terms of sharing processes, I think that is largely dependent on the craft, for example when @KirstyMacdonaldQuilts says there are no secrets, I get that. Needle felting is very much a feel your way around the material kind of craft, so it wouldn’t matter if I showed every second of my process, someone else’s hand will always produce something different to me because it’s a ‘no process, process’- there are no hard and fast rules. I think it is helpful to show snippets, as @dotterypottery has mentioned as it does manage expectations and also adds added value to the maker’s work- especially if a viewer does try it our for themselves and sees there is actually skill in what the maker has created.
This is also my logic when sharing bits of information about what is happening in my life- it goes without saying, we aren’t machines and when something is happening in life that has priority over making a brooch, I gently put it out there in my text, so if my audience are buyers they have a well rounded idea of my workload. This doesn’t always work, of course because some people are more visual than others and look at a pretty picture and move on.

The accounts I connect with are largely ones that offer support, respite, and humour in what has been a crazy and traumatic time for many- I have yet to buy anything from a maker posting on IG, it feels pushy to me, so I also don’t push my products- the link is there, if they want to look, then they know what to do (occasionally, I will remind people) For me, personally, I want to get to know a creative community, know my values are align with yours, get to know the person that invests all their energy and love into a piece before I spend my cash on their wares.

Unfortunately and perhaps fortunately social media is all around us now, even the Folksy forums are a form of social media- there is a lot of information on these threads that are ‘out there’. How much of it you participate it, is always in your hands and like @dotterypottery mentions, I think it is largely about balance.

Yikes, that was a long post!

Annie x

14 Likes

As an artist and poet I would be happy to read a poem and share a painting as an example of my work.

4 Likes

Really great question ! I find all social media very alien and I’m uncomfortable doing a simple post on Instagram :roll_eyes:I’ve just done my first reel ( with lots and lots of help from my twenty something son ) and I was more bothered about people seeing my wrinkly old hands than the doing the reel itself !!

2 Likes

I have a separate Instagram account for personal activity to avoid too much family stuff getting in the way of craft photos (it works both ways too so my family don’t get fed up of lots of craft photos) On my business page I do add photos of things not directly craft related like the view from my craft room but generally stick to WIP photos or finished cards.

5 Likes

I don’t share much of my personal life on FB and IG and don’t really like putting photos of myself on, but I do occasionally as people like to see the face behind the name. I would never do a video/reel though…ever!
I never thought about the Folksy Forum being social media…I’m more likely to chat about personal things on here than anywhere else.
I do share quite a lot of WIP photos to FB and IG and have done a few posts where I have described processes, I suppose it does run the risk of people copying ideas which I had never really thought about until now so I may limit the ‘how I do it’ posts.
I don’t tend to use social media much personally and I would never have joined if it hadn’t have been for Bearlescent. I did make a big announcement this week on FB and IG though :laughing:.
I must admit I do tend to buy from people who I have got to know a little on SM but only if I love their work obviously.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: thats what puts me off making more videos, I bite my nails and sometimes they look terrible not to mention the state they get in working with metal and all the hand washing, I feel it might put off potential buyers ! :joy:

6 Likes

Same here Suzanne. Hubby laughed at me earlier when he spotted I had only painted my right thumbnail and index finger. They are the only ones on display in my latest instagram reel! They get ruined with wire wrapping! :joy:

3 Likes