I have been asked an unusual question

I have been asked if I would like to be involved in an advertising film for the run up to Christmas but what is needed from me is some of my stock so that this filming can go ahead. I’m not really sure what to do, do I send my items on the promise I will get them back once the filming has been done.

My first instinct is scam, but I may just be cynical!

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it.

Do you know the company or are you able to research them at all? I think you would need a lot more information and would need to sign some sort of contract to ensure your goods are returned in A1 condition. Personally I would be a bit sceptical unless you can get some references from them for others that have done the same.

I’ve actually just started selling on their site. I didn’t want to mention that on here.
@thesherbetpatch I don’t think it’s a scam.

It might be well worth doing, you never know! I’ve sent ffflowers away in the past to be photographed for a magazine article, they came back in one piece, it was lovely to see them in print and I got some publicity and at least one nice big order from it.

I would always be inclined to send things I could make duplicates of rather than one-off pieces, partly so I wouldn’t be devastated if they did get lost, but also because people often want to buy exactly what they’ve seen advertised.

1 Like

I’ve sent them an email asking a few questions regarding any insurance against damage or loss and just waiting to hear back. If they say they’ll take full responsibility then I’ll definitely go ahead with it.

That sounds the right thing to do Pauline then get a written contract stating how your items are to be returned and that if there is any damage that they will have to pay for the items at your normal selling price.
The contract should also say who pays delivery of your items to them and back to you.

As long as you have the legal stuff sorted to cover you it could be a great opportunity.

all the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

They have agreed full responsibility of my goods, so I’m going to send a couple of samples. I’m all excited about this because this is a first for me. They’ll be able to take better pictures etc than me so hopefully my work will show up better done by a professional.

4 Likes

It’s not uncommon and could most definitely be a legitimate request! I think you just need to do a bit of research to make sure everything checks out before you send stuff away for those sorts of things.

I just sent some little Christmas trees off that are going to be used for set design in a Christmas episode for what I understand is a rather popular ITV series … secret squirrels though. :smile:

2 Likes

It must be an exciting time for you. I’d ask them for digital copies of any photos they take so that you can use them in your publicity/ listings.
Sasha

1 Like

This is only going to be a very small advertising video on their site looking more into it, but all the same its still exciting. Using my things for adverts, first time ever.

That’s a very good idea @SashaGarrett I shall do that. Their pictures are going to be better than mine and who knows it could bring me more sales.

I was once asked to supply made up items for a college display, with the promise it may lead to classes that I could teach if there was interest. All they really wanted was good quality work to promote the college generally and make themselves look good - at my expense. When my items were returned, some came back damaged, with no word of an apology.

I’m still waiting to hear if I’ve made the finalist’s list yet. They are supposed to be doing this Video on the 10th October so they’re not giving me much time to get things packed up and sent to them. I don’t think I’m going to be picked now.
Its for a new online shop that’s just starting up.

I once went onto a programme on channel 4 with my knitwear. They even sent a car for me …they promised me that I would be shown selling on a “set up” market stall…it turned out that all they wanted was a market scene and people around the stalls were just actors. (not sure why they couldn’t just use actors for that as well.) Oh well, my items got on tv (so did I…lol)

2 Likes

I would check the company on the companies house website it’s free to do and then at least you know it’s a valid company that is registered for business.