January 2019 Art Chat Thread

I have dipped my toe into the world of ACEO and gone small:

6 Likes

Ah … cute! Good idea to show the scale with the photo props, too.

Me too I’ve been working on a canvas today as well

very much work in progress not sure whether to list it or not when it’s done ! [christened ‘‘stripey Dad’’ by my son, grinning hugely of course ! ]

5 Likes

great work folks x

Happy New Year Brenda. Love your latest painting. I’m fascinated to learn about ACEOs I’ve wondered for a whole about them. Might have a go myself. If so may I come back and ask for the link for the pockets?

1 Like

Happy New Year everyone! My new years resolution

dIs to try to step out of my comfort zone and do more ‘loose’ painting. Here is my first attempt of the year. Very much still a work in progress!

4 Likes

This is amazing

1 Like

Excellent.

1 Like

@JanPurvesOriginalArt It’s always good to set yourself a challenge. Every now and then I get out my watercolours or inks and dribble them, blob them, blow them about with a straw… Somehow I never get the results that are ‘in my head’, I’m envious of those folk who ‘go loose’ but also come out with recognisable images!

4 Likes

It is indeed good to challenge yourself. I’ve always said there isn’t anything I wouldn’t have a go at in terms of subject matter. Images are just a series of shapes and tones after all. Drawing things upside down helps as your brain can’t take over your hand in judging how something familiar ought to look.
I am not as adventurous in terms of medium though and have had mixed results when “going loose”. I think the more you do it though, the easier it is to get the results you want. Timing is everything and I am impatient!

4 Likes

great work…Jan @JanPurvesOriginalArt
I would love to be able to paint abstracts but just end up painting the “same old stuff”

1 Like

All good ideas thank you Chris Helen and Brenda

Loving the new work, happy Sunday :slight_smile:

1 Like

For an off the wall idea for ‘doing something different’ have you come across Oblique Strategy Cards? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies?fbclid=IwAR13eNRb5ANDhx7W7kvCGc3WBYgHrYwMsHR1kh5FOxr0-64S0ylm8_ALpvk

A creativity tool invented by Brian Eno in the 1970s, the cards are used to suggest changes in approach that will move you on when you are ‘stuck’ with an idea.

The original cards are a little [!] cryptic and some are specific to music, so I made a set for myself with more accessible prompts more directly applicable to drawing and painting.

I’m determined to make better use of these this year to move my work on into new areas… [I just picked ‘Throw away the detail’ Oh …!]
strategy%20cards

4 Likes

Happy new year friends :grin:

Interesting discussion on materials and new challenges. My new year’s resolution is to learn new skills, starting with printmaking. It’s been an interesting couple weeks with ups and downs, but I feel like I’ve achieved something!

3 Likes

@StephanieGuy - how brilliant to print onto the dictionary page for Mother!! [OK, tell us, did you try it on the D for Duck page first, and smudge it? We won’t let on… :wink:

Lol I did!! It came out much too heavy. I also have one titled “Duck on the edge”, printed over the entry for edge, that’s going on eBay later.

1 Like

some great ideas… my problem is that no matter what I plan, I go into automatic pilot and find myself back in my usual mode…especially when you say “cut the detail!”…I do that, then think…mmm…just a little bit extra here…then…oooh yes…that needs another little bit added…then before I know it, all the detail is back…lol…
today I have this aceo…(with detail)
https://folksy.com/items/7227494-original-art-aceo-landscape-ref-F-652-

1 Like

Hi everyone. Its been a long time since I joined in with the art chat here, but I’m back on folksy again. I love the work that you have all posted since the New Year - did people find it hard to get back into the swing of things?
Stephanie @StephanieGuy I was interested to hear that you are dipping your toe into the world of printmaking - something I am just starting to do as well. I’m enjoying experimenting with new ideas.
I look forward to chatting with you all!
Sara

3 Likes

welcome back Sara,
Today I have a 7x5 watercolour landscape
https://folksy.com/items/7228380-Original-art-watercolour-landscape-painting-ref-F-653-

3 Likes