Made in the East Midlands

Morning everyone :grinning:
Welcome Helen, hope you do well on here.
Karen, thanx for the offer of jewellery photography help, that was very kind of you.

Iā€™ve decided to have a change of direction for a while and go back to making things I made years ago as the jewellery wasnā€™t selling, I started to feel totally deflated :grimacing:
Still, onwards and upwards as they say, hereā€™s two of the five mini canvases that Iā€™ve created, hope you like them x

4 Likes

Morning Jac!

Hope youā€™re having a great weekend :grinning:

Thank you so much for the order - itā€™s packaged up and will go in the post tomorrow. Iā€™ll let you know in the usual way once itā€™s on its way.

I think these venues focus on getting the products on the shelves and then just look to the next suppliers. They have so much inventory I guess itā€™s easy to forget what theyā€™ve got and who made it - of course part of what you pay them for is for them to act as your agent and sell your product, but Iā€™m guessing they just think your paying for the physical space and for the trouble of actually taking the money for you from the customer. I found that was often the case with some fairs - they treated you as if you should be grateful that theyā€™ve given you the opportunity to have a space to sell - when in reality if thereā€™s no sellers or poor quality sellers, thereā€™s no fair/good fair. Of course some were wonderful and we were treated to free drinks and lunch etc, so it wasnā€™t all bad :wink:

In all honesty the real reason Iā€™ve never put my items in shops/galleries is that too many times Iā€™ve seen the jewellery just left hanging - quite literally - around. You canā€™t leave silver exposed to fresh air like that as it blackens the silver - then who wants to buy. If youā€™re displaying it like that it has to be regularly polished - Iā€™d rather keep them safe in the bags (then their box then the drawer!) and know theyā€™re fit for sale.

Have a fab Sunday and thanks again :grinning:

1 Like

I like the change in style Jo @LittleTrinketGirl - itā€™s really cute :grinning:

Thanx Karen :grinning:

Sorry youā€™re feeling so deflated - I do know what you mean, I have days like that too. Cheers me up a bit when I come on here and chat/share with you lovely people :wink: Your jewellery is lovely and is priced really well to attract the buyers.

Iā€™ll tweet the Pinterest board again this week and try some Tweets - so if we canā€™t generate some interest :+1:

Hi Karen,
Itā€™s frustrating isnā€™t it, sure it will pick up soon.
Thanx for your kind words, and yes, I agree that itā€™s good to chat on the forum here, it does give us a boost :wink:
Thanx for all the hard work you put into this, itā€™s really appreciated x

I really enjoy it - working from home it gives me someone else to talk to other than Keith :wink:

Heading for the sofa now - I have 2 episodes of Silent Witness to watch plus 8 episodes and 7 series of Greyā€™s Anatomy to catch up on - not all today obviously :grinning:

Hi guys. Hope youā€™re all keeping well and selling lots. Just a flying visit - busy, busy, busy! Here are my two latest creations. Iā€™m now off to travel up the thread and do some loving and pinning.

3 Likes

Hope youā€™re enjoying that with something fizzy and something chocolatey!! :wine_glass::chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

My first proper new listing in a long time made in my favourite colours and combinations (gemstones and crystals).

3 Likes

Thank you Karen :smile:

I think your right about some of them looking at just getting products on the shelves & thinking crafters should be grateful to have the space to sellā€¦they are just wanting monies in the till with little effort on their part instead for investing into time for quality marketing & really getting to know their customers so they can be more effective & provide a better customer shopping experience which in turn will actually give them better sales. I can understand your worries about popping stock in shops/galleries and the needs of the product to be maintained to look itā€™s best. Thatā€™s why i spend so much time at the one who takes 30% commission iā€™m constantly up their cleaning, tidying & merchandising to make such my products look in pristine condition.

Thankfully as you say their are some good ones out thereā€¦my new stockist that i met with today is fabulous! Itā€™s her own business so she passionate about making it the best it can be, she knows her customers really wellā€¦takes time to chat to them, learns what they like, how they shop and in return has regular happy customers. She works with her crafters to feature all products in the best possible way which then increases her sales & theirs. So iā€™m really chuffed to be working with her.

Take care & have a fabulous evening :smiley: x

Very cute wee canvas Jo! :heart_eyes:
Keep your chin up lovely Itā€™s defiantly tough out there trying to get noticed but youā€™ve got beautiful products and well photographed. x

2 Likes

Sharing my Spring Blossom todayā€¦ one of these lovely has just gone into the new stockist today & fingers crossed i may have a buyer already :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Fingers crossed youā€™re new stockist gives you lots of lovely sale :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Glad it arrived safely & you liked it Karenā€¦itā€™ll be Christmas again before you know it! :wink:
We used to do the NEC shows, youā€™re right, miles of stuff, the smaller London shows were nicer with smaller design companies selling fab things. Always made me want a shop.
I think most shops look at 20-30% commission Jac although a friend told me a gallery wanted 50%! Itā€™s really tough to find the right shop at the right priceā€¦I need to do some research!
A lot of fairs like country living are also 2 or 3 days so itā€™s also making enough stock. If I find THE perfect fair thatā€™s easy to reach,has a huge footfall and is a good price Iā€™ll let you knowā€¦(Iā€™m not sure such a thing exists).
Your photos do look beautifully crisp and clear Karen so 500+ snaps pays off! :smile:
(Iā€™m afraid I get bored after about 20 then try to photoshop all the errors!)

3 Likes

Hi Jo!
Just catching upon this threadā€¦I see everyoneā€™s been busy!
I agree with Karen and Jac, they are really sweet and I havenā€™t seen anything like them so I think thatā€™s always a good sign :smile:
Itā€™s hard not to feel fed up when sales and views are few-think we have all felt the same way, I certainly have. Itā€™s all about numbersā€¦I sold all my doves at a fair then made more and put them online and didnā€™t sell a single one. Just got to get the right people looking at the right products.

3 Likes

Thanks Helen - I do quite a bit pf Photoshop work. The photos are so crisp they show up every little detail including things the human eye would never see - I ask myself, would someone actually see that on the ā€˜realā€™ item and if the answer is ā€˜noā€™ I remove it. I have notice though as I get better at the photography and because of the snazzy flash gun I use the pictures straight out of the camera are better and better and I have to do less to them.

I LOVE! your Fantail Dove - in fact I was wondering, can it be made in the same/similar pattern as your Folk Style Wooden Birds? Iā€™ve ear marked it for my bedroom - because something like that shouldnā€™t just be for Christmas :wink: Iā€™m planning to paint my pine chest of drawers and the dove would be the perfect accessory :grinning:

Oh - by the way everyone - Iā€™ve just made my 50th sale, to a contributor to this thread :+1:

3 Likes

Hi Helen, thanx for you kind words. Howā€™s it going for you up to now? x

2 Likes

A new one today from me, I love these tiny rosebuds :grinning:
https://folksy.com/items/6956833-Love-Anniversary-Valentines-Handcrafted-Canvas-and-Easel-Gift-

4 Likes