Mammogram recall - just need to offload really

Delighted to hear your good news Sarah,

It is almost 3 years since I was diagnosed with an agressive cancer of the womb and I am doing really well. If my scan in August is clear they will discharge me for good. I can’t thank the NHS enough for all the help and support they gave me.

Jeanie

8 Likes

So good to see you looking so happy and healthy. Its a long and difficult journey and you have done so well and been so brave. Heres to the next year, and the one after, and … (you get the gist!)

1 Like

I completely agree, the NHS has been wonderful at every step of the way.
I’m so glad you’re doing well, it’s tough when treatment ends and your worries shift to the dread of reoccurence xx

1 Like

Lovely to hear and see that you are doing well Sarah. xx

1 Like

You look great! X

1 Like

You look lovely, onwards and upwards.xx

1 Like

Hi Jennie, 20 years ago aged 42 I had cancer of the womb but it was also in the cervex, I had radiotherapy for 6 weeks plus internal treatment. Was told I had a reasonable chance. After having check ups for 4 yrs I was discharged. I have had heaps of internal problems since but I am here! Wishing you well for your final check up.
Sue

1 Like

Sarah you look wonderful, love your hair! x

1 Like

Lovely news Sarah. Your journey (overused but seems so apt) and those of Jeanie and Susan are truly inspirational.

1 Like

Hello!
Wow, this all seems so long ago now!
But just as an update I’ve shared an interview I gave with Breast Cancer Care UK last month.
Their forum was a lifeline to me during treatment last year,
Sarah x

3 Likes

What a fantastic article Sarah. Concur with everything you said, still trying to shake off the guilt of an afternoon nap two and half years on. My allotment was my sanctuary too, and even that gets done at a new ‘normal’ pace. Thank you for sharing that here, it helps to remind me I am not the only one who feels these things, that it is not me, but the treatment and tablets. xx

1 Like

Great article Sarah - I personally never realised the longer lasting effects from treatment and medication.
What great motivation too, turning your garden into an allotment - how is that going this year? x

1 Like

Brilliant article Sarah. I’ve two friends who have gone through the same situation as yourself, and their mantra is ‘a nap is always helpful and if you need one have one’. xx

1 Like

Loving it!
A bit haphazard, not many uniform rows of planting, but it’s been really productive this year :slight_smile: xx

1 Like

It came as a bit of a shock to me, the fatigue.
I never expected it to be part of the new me, and it takes a long time to both come to terms with and shake off the guilt.
Sending a hug xx

1 Like

Morning!
I’m just reviving this thread five years on to give an update, as I was so grateful for the support I got here at the start of this rollercoaster.

I got my final results this morning - I’m officially signed off from the hospital!!!

It’s been a long and bumpy journey, I’m not the same person I was at the start, but one I can finally draw a line under.

From those shocking first mammogram results in January 2018 that plunged me into a state of shock that I’ve never felt before, through the devastating diagnosis in February where new things kept getting added, two operations in March, Chemo from the start of May to end of August, radiation and booster rads from September to October and ongoing meds.
I lost my lymph nodes, my hair never recovered, eyebrows went awol and I learned how to self inject (45 times!)
Emotionally and physically diagnosis and chemotherapy tested me to my limits, but now - I feel free.
And very emotional.

I feel I can draw a line now.
Ladies, never miss a mammogram and chase up those overdue ones, because I was symptom free when mine was picked up x

11 Likes

So pleased that you’ve been signed off from the hospital Sarah. A very long, tiring, emotional journey for you I’m sure. I will reiterate your message to never miss a mammogram and keep a check for changes and symptoms. xxx

1 Like

I’m so pleased that you’ve finally been signed off from the hospital Sarah. I can still remember when you first posted on here at the start of your difficult journey. I’m sure it must be a huge relief, and I hope you can now live life to the full without having this hanging over you.

I missed a mammogram - I can’t even remember why now - and it is now way overdue. Your post has reminded me that I need to make that phone call to rectify this (along with another one to arrange a cervical smear test, which is also overdue!)

1 Like

Well done, I went through similar ten years ago and it’s an amazing feeling when they finally sign you off! Wishing you all the best for the future. (Yup, ladies, never miss a mammogram and don’t forget to examine yourself regularly in between!)

1 Like

So very pleased that you can finally put it all behind you Sarah, such a long and exhausting journey for you. I remember when you first posted the news that your mammogram was not right, at the same time I was also recalled but very luckily there as no malignancy.
Take care of yourself and embrace your new found freedom. x

1 Like