Here is the place to show your art and chat about anything art related

(Brenda Cumming) #2

Today I have an aceo miniature painting for just ÂŁ3
https://folksy.com/items/6976731-fantasy-butterfly-art-painting-ref-953-

(Brenda Cumming) #3

I also have this 7x5 watercolour relist
https://folksy.com/items/6926751-art-painting-winter-snowscene-ref-954-

(Stephanie Guy) #4

All beautiful! I like the last one the best.

(GKWatercolourArt) #5

My first for March, Dragonfly #2, A4 watercolour. I shall add this to my shop on Monday. Happy weekend everyone!

(Brenda Cumming) #6

waving Stephie…
Graham, that is fabulous.
Have a nice weekend everyone x

(Lowri of Twinkle and Gloom Art) #7

Hello everyone, happy March!
I’ve been feeling like I need to push myself a bit more over the last week. I’ve become a little too comfortable, and probably playing it a bit safe with my work. Whenever I feel like that I like to re visit techniques I’ve abandoned. I used to work a lot with collage, it’s something I have been back and forth with but haven’t played with in a while. I decided to have a go again. When I say collage- what I really mean is building an illustration from layers of separate elements.

This was an experiment the other day…

and this is my first full piece. It took me two days (among working on other things)! It’s only an A4 piece but it was quite fiddly. It’s called “Tea cult”.

(GKWatercolourArt) #8

Tea Cult! I’m a secret member…Tea-rific.

(GKWatercolourArt) #9

This evenings splash, Lighthouse, A3 watercolour. Nice and loosely does it…
Now, its movie night with the family and I have a glass of red with my name on it.

(Brenda Cumming) #10

great work folks…we all have different styles which is great and makes life interesting…
here is one of my latest paintings…aceos…not listed yet

(Brenda Cumming) #11

a relist from me this afternoon

(Louise Jones) #12

Iv just been putting the finishing touches to a painting of Tenby, South Wales. May not get a chance toput this in my shop though before I go travelling :pensive:

(Maxine Veronica) #13

Good morning folks! brilliant work on here and a huge :wave: wave hi to everyone. Been AWOL for a bit, life just seems too busy right now between new job, setting up a new shop, teaching and family I really don’t know where my time goes haha!. I’m starting to miss painting now so need to see if I can put some time aside to fix that :).

Here’s one I did a few months ago

(Brenda Cumming) #14

lovely work everyone
mmm…in the past I have been told that one of the reasons I have never been a featured seller despite having been here for over 7 years, is because my photos have too much surrounding to them…so the featured seller this week has pics with surrounds like I have…so that only leaves me to believe that my artwork is rubbish…back to the drawing board and some art lessons I think

(Kim Onyskiw) #15

Your artwork is not rubbish! I do just think it’s the photos that could do with a little work, I’m not sure it’s the surround that’s the problem though but the way they’re cropped. Such as you have a lot of images that are tall, which on the thumbnails makes them look a little cropped.

I just did a little messing around in photo editing software with one of your photos to show how the thumbnails could be.

1. 2. 3.

1 is how it currently shows.
2 is if you added a little more surrounding so the image you upload is square. Because this is the same shape that Folksy shows their thumbnails nothing gets cropped off and the border shows all the way around the image, instead of just to the sides. I also turned up the brightness/contrast a little bit in the photo software too, as I always do on my photos or they come out a bit dull (but not so much it misrepresents the item).
3 again has the brightness up a smidge, and is if you cropped the image right to the very edge of your picture with absolutely no background showing (it would show the full tall image in the listing but crops a little off the top and bottom on the thumbnail). It still shows enough of the image to look good and not like there’s something obviously missing, and I think I’d be more likely to click on that.

Your paintings are great! Just spend a little time with your camera and find some photo editing software to have a play around on. Remember what Folksy shows on the front page is square, so you need things to show as well as possible when they’re cropped down to that shape.

(Brenda Cumming) #16

that is kind of you Kim but I don’t have the money or time to play around with photo software.I am caring for a sick husband…
I already leave a surround so that the image is square so I don;t understand…photo 2 is how I leave my pictures so they are on a background and squared off…I used to crop the top and bottom to fit but got told that this was ugly…so I went back to having surround all round the picture…maybe I have a strange laptop?.
If I crop the image so that there is no background…when they download they are all out of shape…I never have this problem on the auction site as they don’t square them off…
I have tried all the things you say and people still tell me that my photos are bad.
I lighten them and get told they are too light and vice versa.
I just went back to that same picture and if you go to my shop and click on that item you will see that there is surround ALL the way around so that it is squared off.and yet folksy have still cropped it short…

I have put pics with backgrounds, pics without backgrounds…I give up frankly but I do thank you for spending your time…x

(Kim Onyskiw) #17

There is surround all the way around on the listing in your shop, but it’s not a square image, it’s taller than it is wide. If it’s a portrait way up painting then it needs more background to the sides than above and below to become a square image. I always make sure I hold my camera landscape way even on tall paintings to make sure I’ve got enough background to the sides (particularly for on that other site where thumbnails are all shown landscape… otherwise you end up missing heads on tall paintings!)

The lightness controls can be a pain to get the hang of sometimes, it seems like you’ve only moved it a little bit and it makes a massive change. I always just change it a tiny bit at a time to stop it going too much, but that is more time consuming. I understand it takes a while trying work out all the controls and which work best until you get the hang of it. What might take me a minute now I know what I’m doing would probably have taken at least 10 times as long when I was just starting.

It’s weird about them going out of shape though!
But the important thing is you still have lots of sales, so they’re obviously not bad. Buyers still find them good enough even if they’re not quite what Folksy are looking for, and that’s the important thing :slight_smile:

(Brenda Cumming) #18

thank you Kim, I really do appreciate your time. A few years ago I used to lower the crop to the top of portrait paintings and to the bottom but left an edging just on the other two sides and it looked odd… I thought it looked better with an edging all the way around…a bit like it was mounted.
Yes I am happy with my sales and I have sold over 2000 on the auction site …it just baffles me why I am told the reason for never being chosen is my photos…oh well…the main thing is that I love to paint !! x

(Brenda Cumming) #19

today I have a floral painting…I have shown the second of the two photos that I always take and this one isn’t squared off by me… just the whole picture…of course the problem with that is that in my shop, if you click on it, it distorts the painting because it stretches it to at least 4 times the proper size…hey ho…can’t win

(GKWatercolourArt) #20

Hi all, forgive me if I’m teaching some of you to suck eggs but I thought I’d share some tips for taking better photos for marketing, it may help someone out there…

1. If possible use a tripod, avoid hand held cameras. Tripods are not expensive, Argos sell them, I got mine from a car-boot for a couple of quid.
  2. Once you have composed your image use the timer to take the photo, hit the 10 second timer, press the shutter and step away. This ensures there is no shake and results in a clear, steady image.
  3. Use photographers lighting if your budget permits. You can pick up a decent light rig on ebay for ÂŁ25, a sound investment if you take lots of photos. If you are taking photos of paintings / pictures, a cool light is best, avoid overhead lighting.
  4. Most free photo editing packages allow you to crop an image, MS Paint can do this and its free on most PCs.
  5. If you need to add a frame to your image there are several free online services that allow you to do this. I use https://www.befunky.com/create/frames/ So quick and simple.