March Art chat thread 2017

Taking photos can be really hard.
I crop all my photos to squares now, usually around 800 x 800 pixels. I’m ok at composition and cropping etc, I’ve really taken the time to get myself a little set up that is fairly consistent now. I still struggle with lighting/colours despite having photographers lamps though (and I do set my white balance to the conditions but perhaps I should be doing this for every print, not just at the beginning of the session). I’ll get there eventually. :wink:

Here’s a new piece, another one made from layers of paper.

2 Likes

ha ha…Graham…good advice for some but I am not about to start buying equipment now…(turned 70 now)…maybe 20 years ago I might have considered it but not now. Also on a very limited budget…no timer on the camera either…luckily I don’t have shaky hands…yet…
All far too technical for me…and for me despite needing the money…this is no longer my living…although my income is under £4k a year…pathetic pension…how do they expect us to survive…luckily I like beans on toast…
Any money I make selling paintings means I can have two slices of toast with my beans…lol
Lowri…white balance? pixels? not clue…don’t forget all this technical stuff is way over my head…they didn’t even have calculators when I was at school.
I think I do fairly well considering…I shall just plod on in my own sweet way I think…

3 Likes

Good afternoon, lovely work Brenda and Lowri, I do love the layered effect Lowri. Ah photo’s my problem is that I rotate between here and the dark side on here they are square and over there they are not, it’s such an annoyance. I have light box and all the set up but still have days where my pics are pants lol!.

Anyhoo I listed this one today

2 Likes

lovely work Max…I give up on the photos…I think I will just crop them right up to the edge of the picture and if they look distorted then I surrender…
I thought that they were squared on the dark side as well !!..
I managed 2 8x6 paintings today…one is rubbish the other is ok…but they will be listed anyway…
the lesson is to not to try to paint something you have seen a demo of , on youtube…it never works for me…I should just stick to my own style…

1 Like

I found some colour in a cold and bleak scene, Winter Hedge, A3 Watercolour. Not for sale, just a practice piece.

1 Like

in a rush today…hospital appointment for hubby ,…took all day

1 Like

Not something I’ve listed anywhere yet, but I wanted to try something a little bit different to see if it worked or just looked like a terrible mess. I think I like it…

2 Likes

Love that Kim…love the colours.
I have decided not to even crop my pics any more…just take the pic and JUST the pic with no surround at all…so here is today’s painting…an 8 x 10" acrylic on canvas

2 Likes

today I have an 8x6 watercolour painting…(picture NOT cropped)

1 Like

This evenings splash, Stag, A4 watercolour. He’s watching you…

2 Likes

dear dear Graham
(love it)

2 Likes

today I have a mounted watercolour landscape.

3 Likes

where is everyone?
today I have an aceo mini painting…(uncropped photo to see if it makes any difference!!)
https://folksy.com/items/6980847-painting-art-aceo-watercolour-landscape-ref-972-

1 Like

beautiful!

2 Likes

It works, I like it.What is it? A painting? Not messy at all!

1 Like

Yes, it’s an acrylic painting. I wasn’t sure whether the patterns over the image would look odd and out of place, but I think they’ve blended in enough to look a proper part of the picture.

It’s inspired by the patterns that are done on the decorated eggs in Ukraine, they use simple line patterns and symbols to represent everything, so I thought I’d mix the simple with a more detailed background.

Just curious Ria as to why you have a painting in your shop when it is already sold?

1 Like

It’s very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

@teabreaks Sorry, it sold few hours ago on ArtGallery :-).I will post more next week.

1 Like

It needs to be removed from your shop Ria as it is confusing…people might still think they can buy it even though it says sold…(confused me…ha ha)…and if admin see that you have listed it and sold it elsewhere, they might be after commission from you because you would be using your folksy shop as a portfolio/website.

2 Likes