Folksy Ltd

Nature design cross section

Just about everyone here is inspired by nature but does anyone look at a cross section? If not, next time you slice a Tomatoe,Apple,Cucumber have a look at what you have revealed,is there a basis for design there whenyou look at how the seeds and core are laid out? Take a humble stick of Rhubarb,slice it and look at it end on,now what if I put 3 or 4 of those grooved pieces together ?
I paint and make a lot of Butterfly stuff but what if I took just the hind wing of a Peacock butterfly could I form the basis of a pendant ?
There are so many empty seed pods and things around that have another world revealed if you slice them and look at the cross section.

2 Likes

Have you ever looked at the wonderful rings you get inside a beetroot? They are like tree rings but they make one with every full moon so if you get an old mis shapen beetroot and cut it at a funny angle you can get patterns like malachite but in shades of pinky red. Or try putting a stick of celery in water + a few dops of food colouring so that it sucks the colour up into the stem and then cut it horizontally and look at the funky pattern of spots you get.

3 Likes

No,never looked at a Beetroot but it’s a very good example.There are all sorts of seeds that when magnified explode into a world of design.

Goodness, that’s my learning point of the day - beetroot rings and the full moon! I’ve spotted the rings but never knew that.

I came across a blog the other day where they were printing on fabric with sliced vegetables - including a firm cabbage http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.co.uk/ (brilliant name for a blog, I thought).

Yes, cross sections inspite me, I have painted a pomegranate & gourde so far (although I haven’t yet made a print of the gourde just yet).

I’ve watched cross sections being taught as an art lesson, 4 on a page, with different mediums for each fruit or vegetable. Pastels, watercolours, collage and so on. Thought it was fantastic.