Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

OMG! Photography I hate it and I was a photography student 20 years ago! I’m in the process of putting off re-photographing all our work, it fills me with dread!
I’m in agreement about the ribbon, I wasn’t sure what you are selling, ribbon or earrings.

Photography is everyone’s biggest bug bear. I’m an ex photographer (equine tho!) and find photographing little fiddly jewellery and artwork reeeeaaally difficult!
I have just bought myself a new light box and lights studio set up and am awaiting for some other props and backgrounds to arrive, I’m still not convinced how exactly I am going to do it yet tho.
These are my current pictures, so any comments I will take on board before I start the next big shoot!

Oh but what is the right way to photograph jewellery??
I used to have a model, until someone on here told me, it makes it seem second hand then!! Ahhhh!

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I opened my shop a couple of years ago but only now am I beginning to look into proper marketing and shop promotion. What a lot of great articles and advice on here! Only using an i-phone for photos so don’t know whether I should invest in a proper camera and lighting? Also I think my pieces look great at Twilight or by candlelight as the 3d texture of the pieces really pop out but the pictures at these times were very poor. Please let me know your thoughts. Sasha x

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

Hi Paul,

For both pictures but especially the second one I feel the background is taking ones eye from the piece. There’s random bottles, extension cables etc that distract you. I would suggest either photoshopping the piece onto a pure white backgound, or placing the item against a bare wall, or I’ve even seen furniture photographed in unusual areas like on a stoney beach or in a grassy field.

Yeah I’m really confused about all this! I don’t really know anyone that I can use as a model, so just photo graph my jewellery flat and styled and hanging etc with some props depending on the theme!

Any ideas welcome https://folksy.com/shops/sandiemiddletonmini

mini

Hi Sasha, I’m not an expert on photography. In fact I think I’m pretty bad at it! Your relief sculptures are really interesting. You have a nice clean background for them, which I think is good. Maybe you could try a life style shot if you have the right setting for it. Seeing how they would look on a wall in a living room or dining room or where you see them working might help people imagine it in their own homes. It would have to be a very stylish room though. Playing around with the lighting might be interesting as secondary photos. As I said I’m no photography expert but I really like your work and would love to see more in your shop. I’ve just hearted a few.

Hello All

I’d appreciate any feedback and suggestions please. I love the making bit, but hate the photography side! I photograph my cards on a board covered in black velvet which stands on an easel. I then take them into photoshop and fiddle about with them till I’m reasonably happy. I try to pick a bright day and stand by the open back door to get the best light coming in. Unfortunately, the best rooms in the house for good light all have leaded windows so I end up with squared shadows across my pics so can’t use those rooms. As winter approaches, the bright day bit gets increasingly difficult, and short!

What do other cardmakers do?

Hello, I opened my folksy shop just a couple of days ago and have been trying hard with my photos (ive only managed to upload three items so far) but I am struggling for background ideas with wooden items. Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

Hi. It is a good photo and from experience it can take a while to understand what a good solid photo is. I started selling online back in 2015 and i am still learning but this would be my advice from what I have learnt so far -

What i would suggest is changing your background to a more neutral one, the frame in this photo blends in too much and the vertical groves in the background offer nothing to the art on display.

I would suggest to try and have a designated hanging area in your home or workshop where there is lots if natural light. Also remember that the customer will want to try and envisage the art in their own home so also get a picture showing the art in a room in a setting where it shows it in a natural environment on the wall (not a close up shot though as they will be done)

Hope that helps a little but you will learn all the time the more you take photos. Trial and error because when i started and look back at my photos some were shocking : )

Is this the correct section to upload im new here!

Any advise on this picture would be most appreciated.
All my pictures are taken like this with different angles and with the drawers open

That photo looks nice

sandie,
If you have a lot of stock made, try hiring a model for a day or ask someone you know. You don’t need expensive backgrounds, just a clean and bright one.

Find a home styler/interior designer to collaborate with. Your pieces look gorgeous in a modern setting.

Hello Folksy folks,

I have just opened my shop. Any crits, comments on improvement are welcomed.

https://folksy.com/shops/emesekiss

Thanks for reading

I am in a quandary now. I sell my paintings mounted or framed and have to do separate postings as they are different prices. Consequently for my main picture of the mounted painting I show it in a mount with a framed picture as one of the extras. Then for the framed posting the framed picture is the main picture and a mounted version is one of the extra ones. Sorry if this sounds like gobbledegook, I hope I have explained it clearly. If you can understand what I am saying, would you say this is ok ? I have been worrying about picture quality too so this is a great idea and I will post one of my pictures when I have a few spare minutes. Thanks, Judith

Hi everyone, i’d really appreciate if you could take a moment to critique my product photography and tell me what you think.

Are any of the details of the jewellery lost on a white background?

Do the photos feel fresh and modern?

Thank you for this, it’s hard to be objective when you’ve been staring at something for so long!