Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

Hi, I wonder if I can have your opinion on my photographs of the cards in my shop. I have recently started adding items and at the moment this it the format I am using

I have been posting photo on Instagram using this format

Should I use both on the listings?
Which type should be the main image?
Or should I be doing something else?

Thanks for your help

Priscilla

I would probably use both, I don’t really like to buy things online (particularly handmade) that only have one photo. As you can’t physically pick up an item to look at it properly, the more photos that can simulate this, the better (I realise for my own card photos it’d probably be better if I also had a photo of the inside and the back, even if it is a blank card, as it helps give an overall image of the item).

I’d use the one cropped to the edge as the main photo, and the one from slightly further away second. As a lot of your cards seem to have metallic parts, multiple photos also helps show this off better as the shine doesn’t really show from one photo, but if you can see how it looks bright from one angle but dull from another, it helps people visualise it better.

Hi Kim,

Thank you very much, that’s very useful. I will definitely take more photos from different angles. Your right it is very difficult to see the sparkle from the crystals and the shine of the mirror card.

Thank you :grinning:

Priscilla

1 Like

I get told that I need to have better photo’s, I like the lifestyle look, not a plain white background so I use my garden steps when the weather allows. If I am just taking a picture of the bag then I do it myself with my camera, if it is a photo of the bag being carried to show size etc, then my husband does it with me with the camera, I then edit them. I cant afford a photographer.

I like your photos @bagsofelegance because I can see how big it is,the fab stitching and the photos of inside are great too. Certain things look good on a plain white background but my opinion is some photos, like your wonderful bags, give a good impression in lifestyle shots.

1 Like

thank you for your feedback, it all helps :slight_smile:

Good Morning,

Im looking for a bit of feedback please. I am trying so hard to get my business to work and people are always telling e that they like my items, but i don’t seem to sell anything online or get very many views.

Is my product photography good enough?

Hi @janinescreations your photos look good to me but your descriptions and tags need work - the search bots (both folksy and google) use titles/description/ tags to decide if something makes it into search results so if you don’t get these right then people don’t see your photos/ items. There is loads of good advice on writing descriptions and tags on the folksy blog but the advice I was given was to write the description as if describing the item to a blind person including colours, textures and stuff like. Dimensions and washing/ care instructions are also worth including. Tags can be multi word and if some one searches for eg ‘fox cushion’ an item tagged ‘fox cushion’ will rank higher in the search than one tagged ‘fox’ and ‘cushion’, having the phrase ‘fox cushion’ repeated in title, tag and description also helps it rank higher in that particular search.

3 Likes

Hi @SashaGarrett thank you for your advice, I will definitely take this advice on board and revamp my descriptions.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I need a bit of help with my photos.

This one for instance has a blue tinge, yet it was taken against a very white wall.

I have a Sony RX100 III Compact Camera by the way; and a Canon SLR.

If you look at the second photo (this is how the card actually looked when I had finished it online), there is no cast.

Can anyone throw any light (not a pun!!! ha ha ha) on how I can improve, and what I did wrong?

Thanks
SallyAnn

Does this seem better?

Your white balance will be off. Cameras will generally be set to automatic, which gets it right (or near enough) most of the time, but sometimes adjusts the colours for the wrong lighting settings. Your camera should have a white balance setting somewhere, where you can either select one of the preset options (usually daylight, cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent) or you can custom set it. If you have a preset that matches your lighting then use that (I guess you’re using daylight so hopefully should be fine), but I know a lot of the new LED lights can be odd colours that need to be custom set.

Hopefully that should sort it so your photos take with the colours correct, but you should also be able to tweak the colours to look more correct in photo editing software. I just changed the hue on your photo +12 (which is a setting a lot of editing software should have).

Hi Kim. Yes that does seem better. Thanks for your help.

SallyAnn

Hi guys, I’d really appreciate some advice on my product photos. Here’s a listing for my felt snowmen can I have some pointers please?

These items have sold reasonably well at craft fairs but i’ve had very little interest in past years online (on the other site).

Many thanks
Lou

Hi @WhimsicalBells, this is really old but I thought I’d reply!

Try using brighter background to make the snowmen pop, or make the image with the tree the first image - it shows the snowmen in their ‘natural habitat’.A photo of one next to a ruler or 50p piece would also give me a really quick idea of their size.

Thank you! I still need to update my photos so I’ll bear this in mind when I finally get around to it!

1 Like

I could do with some feedback on my photos. Not sure if they are OK lighting-wise.

Stained Glass Rainbow Chakra Star Suncatcher

The background looks very yellow there which makes me think the white balance is off, which could make the colour of your item look a little off. I suspect it’s caused by the fairy lights in the background giving off a warmer light than usual.
Do you use the white balance setting on your camera/phone at all? If not then it’s one you should find and try out. It compensates for different lighting conditions to try to make sure the colours in the photo still look true to life. You can also adjust white balance in photo editing software after you’ve taken photos, but I find it’s best to have it set right (or as near as you can get) when you’re taking a photo, and then you can just tweak it a little if it still looks a bit off in editing software.

2 Likes

Thanks for that

Hi

I’m new to Folksy and wondered if I could have some feedback on my photo style please?

Thanks

Amy

Hi Amy @amybreeze the first thing to address is the ‘folksy crop’. Folksy crop our main image to square on our shop fronts and in search results, when I look at your shop front some of the stars are missing points because of this. I pre crop my photos to square using picasa to avoid this but you can just make sure your item is centred in the photo and has enough of a margin to handle the crop. I like the directional lighting as it highlights the 3Dness of the stars (normally the advice is to use a reflector to reduce shadows). I wonder if you could find some props that better suggest a use for the stars - you talk about them being an alternative to greetings cards so maybe something to suggest a party? (props are never an easy thing to figure out)

1 Like