Received this email

Hi guys, I received this email today and was just wondering if anyone else has been approached, is it legit?

I would be suspicious, i’m afraid. They say nothing about themselves. I would expect some kind of introduction/self-promotion. The the commission. 50% is steeeeep, too steep i feel. I tried googling them. Without success. I think I’d move on.
Mecki
meckiallenceramicsb

I received a message from them last week.
Ignored it. Can’t find anything about them. Suspect they are trying to start up a new selling platform.

Shirley x

mark as spam I would.

I have to agree with Mecki completely.

It sounds very much like a drop shop so you’ll have no seller protection either as they’ll first take a payment from the customer then they’ll order from you so the order will be from their address with a secondary delivery address ie their customer.

It says nothing about the method of payment to you. If it’s via paypal the delievery address will be their delivery address so if you then sent the item to another address ie their customers address you’ll not be protected according to paypal rules.

They say they want you Recommend Retail Price which suggests to me they might not even sell your item for that price.

50% is way over the top.

They’ve not even given you the web address for their site. All sounds a wee bit doggy to me.

I have had 2 in the last few weeks slightly different but basically all the same , and charity ones wanting products too. It must be the spamming time of year.

Hadn’t even thought of the additional points you made. Thanks for them
Mecki x

Thanks for your responses, glad this forum exists to ask my fellow peeps for advice :slight_smile:

It is normally quiet during the summer months while buyers are on holidays, so these kind of emails and requests are bound to pop up. Watch out. 50% is way too high when someone else is doing the work.

1 Like

well, a 50% markup is standard in a B&M shop… at a minimum, and retail is often 2.4 x wholesale price. Online shops, no not as a rule, the most i’ve been quoted is 30%.

thank you for sharing this…it is soooo easy to get dragged into scams etc and I could quite easily have been interested in something like this…it is very difficult to know who is genuine and who isn’t

1 Like

I am sure this one is doing the rounds on Etsy as well there was something like this in the forums this last week

I though 40% - 50% was pretty average? When you get to some shops they want 20% VAT taken from your retail price and then 50% of what’s left.
It’s so tricky pricing! But folksy blog has good tips.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of this email. Personally, I an not a fan of this type of communication and tend to bin it immediately.

Just received a scammer email, it must be that time of year, lots of questions, supposedly from Folksy. I will bin it

I think this is spam. I’ve just googled handmadegorgeous and nothing comes up, the email says that the shop is launching in August, if that’s the case, it should be online now or a domain holding page should at least come up. I’d ignore and delete it and report it to Folksy as spam.