Scam email - urgent warning

Hi Camila
I have been a bit erratic checking emails this week (too many to mention) and have now noticed the time was eve before from Folksy…It may have been that evening or next morning that this email arrived and as I had checked my mail on phone got rid of it straight away… cannot remember what time it arrived. I am now hoping it was before your shut down and not after… sorry no help at all

Having cut and pasted the dodgy link into my phone when I got the message, as I was battling with an awful Internet connection; although my smartphone wouldn’t open it, I then found that it had somehow put a file on my phone and that each time I deleted it, it came back.
I am pleased to report that, having obtained a better antivirus app, I now seem to have got rid of it. But I am going to keep scanning my phone daily for a few days to be certain.
Thanks for the support and reassurance Folksy. It is very much appreciated.

@Beadseedz Hi, sorry to hear you clicked the dodgy link on your phone, like me. I downloaded a file but my android system wouldn’t open it as I’ve got Norton security installed. I deleted the original file and run a malware scan, which was clear. I’m now a bit concerned as you and another seller has mentioned a file that keeps coming back on the phone. By any chance can you remember what the file was called or where it appeared on your phone? Think I need to have another look…thanks in advance for any information. Kym x

Hi Kym. I found the file under ‘downloaded files’ on my phone. I deleted it then ran a virus scan which flagged it up so I deleted it again. But when I looked later it was back. Deleted it again and then downloaded a better antivirus programme. Ran that and the file seems to be gone although I shall keep checking. The file had a name similar or the same as the original dodgy link. Hope that helps.

Thank you, that is very helpful, and reassuring. My downloaded files are empty now so I think that my anti virus programme had dealt with it successfully. What a palaver eh?! Let’s hope that’s the end of it, fingers crossed. Have a good weekend, all the best x

Oh yes Kym. I do hope that’s an end to it too. But I am glad to have been of help. You have a brilliant weekend too. Jane :slight_smile:

Camilla @folksycontent I’m not sure if this is a strange coincidence but my laptop just turned itself off and I had a black screen with Fatal Boot Error. I had to re-start it by pressing the power button and then it took 3 attempts to re-start,
It has never done this before - it’s not quite two years old and is running on Windows 8 ( I can’t get on with WIndows 10).

I deleted the trojan horse virus that I got with that scam link the other day but I’m just giving my laptop a full scan now.

Just thought I would let you know

This is the first one I’ve received in 5 years on here (the oceanographer obviousely doesn’t like my shop :confused:) it’s very easy to tell they weren’t checking anything and just sending out random messages as my shop has been in holiday mode for a month!

Oh that doesn’t sound good. I’m not sure if it is connected to the scam but I’ll pass on the details to Doug so he can do some digging. Have you updated your software to the latest versions you can? Do you know which anti-virus software you are running? I can try to see whether that’s one that can catch it?