Scam Warning

I wish I had checked here before looking! I clicked on the screen shot link and it downloaded a file to my phone, I deleted it without opening it though…please tell me it won’t wreck my phone!!! :persevere:

Mine was from ’ tivostredtpron1989’

humph i never usually fall for this stuff but i am so tired at the moment i clicked on the blummin thing but even my aged computer managed to stop it thank goodness, mine came from newporwhpor1983

Me too! Checked my orders and realised it wasn’t genuine so didn’t click the link. This one was from ‘helotisan1977’. Came on here to warn everyone but I see whoever it is has been busy! :scream:

Hi, I too have received the same scam email from Kerbtivafe 1985 (…Hello dear seller about couple days ago,I bought your stuff, but I still do not have this position in my account, although I have this transaction in my PayPal account…). Looks like Folksy is already looking into it!

I had the same message too. Downloaded the link but it wouldn’t open. Have deleted it now of course and run a virus check but still worried I now have malware on my phone. We need some advice from the Folksy IT people if it has come to us through Folksy.

I know of several people who have also had this email…

yup me too !

Well I’m feeling a bit left out, I haven’t received one. Checked my spam too. This is all very worrying :rage:

1 Like

I have just received one from lessvamanfoy1986 saying something very similar with screenshots which I def. will not log into. I have reported it to Folksy, but as they forwarded me the email I would have thought they would be suspicious and check it against the others.

1 Like

Can I suggest you delete the link you have posted in your post. If someone clicks on it without reading the post first it may cause them a problem, as if they had clicked on it in the email.
@madewithloveaccessories

I’m a bit concerned that people are actually posting the dodgy link on this thread, 1 hope nobody clicks on them without thinking… @folksycontent

3 Likes

Good point Kim. I’ve deleted all the links to it that I can find in this thread.
I will go through the others too.

1 Like

Could someone from Folksy advise as to the possible consequences of downloading that attachment onto your phone? I did so (yes I know that was stupid) and there was some unmemorable gibberish but nothing bad has happened to my phone yet. Just wondering what their objective is so I know what to look out for, security-wise.

3 Likes

I would very much like to know how so many shops could be contacted in this way in such a small space of time…either there is a large group of people who are pressing the contact button, of lots of shops, at the same time…or someone has found away of getting a list of all the shops. or lots of shops, and sending the message to loads of them at the same time…bearing in mind that these messages have been made to look like they have all come from someone different!
I know we have had dodgy messages before which have been sent to a few shops, but this seems to be on a very large scale!

3 Likes

I’ve got one too… just deleted without even opening.

Thanks for the heads up…

Karen x

We’re investigating at the moment and we’ll update you when we know more. We think it was malware designed to do something but we’re not sure what. This is what our programmer has told me, so it’s not official advice but it will hopefully be reassuring: “People who clicked the link and just saw code should be fine - it obviously didn’t run for them.”

If you clicked the link and did see something, it would be useful for us to know what that was. It might also be an idea to change your passwords generally, although again at this point we don’t know what the intention is behind the code.

It was a very authentic looking message so please don’t feel stupid for clicking the attachment. Messages like these are designed to trick you.

3 Likes

My computer using Windows defender put the virus into quarantine after I had clicked on the link.

When I used the contact form to contact another seller - it popped up with the Malware warning again.

I went into the quarantined files and it is a Trojan Horse. My Son deleted them for me…I think!
I’m a bit too scared to try out the contact form again just in case.

I can’t remember what I saw when I clicked the link, I don’t remember it being code but maybe it was different for me because I used a phone to open the link rather than a desktop. I was distracted while opening the link so didn’t pay close attention, I just remember thinking it was trying to open a page that hadn’t loaded properly, some error message or something.