Take part in our online Folksy Christmas Market!

Camilla Thank you very much for clarifying that so clearly. Helps a lot :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you for the information Camilla. I think the fact they have turned so many down is what hurts. Looking at the criteria there are certain points such as stall set up they do not know how we set up our stalls. I have always been picked for my displays at events and normally end up in the local paper.

With regards to the positivity bit think they have knocked that out of us that have been rejected. I would have done the fair but to me what they stand for I do not suit them nor they me.

A shame but will not give money to a firm that I have been rejected from. As mentioned in a previous post have been approached more times than I can remember from all over the country and even the US, who are very strict, to appear at an event. Obviously doing something right for them but not Pedddle.

Wish everyone luck that is at the fair though.

1 Like

Thanks Camilla @folksycontent I appreciate your reply. As I mentioned before, Folksy is a lovely platform to work with, and because you have clarified the fact that we will all be accepted for the Christmas Fair, I can now carry on with uploading my photos and Christmas cards. Thanks again, SallyAnn

Just want to reiterate I do not blame Folksy at all, a wonderful team and community

3 Likes

This may seem like a silly question but I have never done a virtual market and am new to Folksy- so how do they work?

Do you have to have social media to participate? How do customers see makes? @folksycontent mentioned there was a Spring virtual market, I would be grateful for any input from makers who participated.

:pray:

Hi Annie

First thing is for this one you absolutely need to have an Instagram account as that is where these markets are run.
I just looked on your shop and you have no social media links showing.
I’m sure others will tell you that for a successful Folksy shop you need to promote yourself, via social media.
I have Facebook (FB) , Instagram (IG), Twitter and Pinterest and feed them all more or less, regularily.
Whatever on line market you might join, whether this one or others you really need social media of some sort as it is on the social media platforms that they run.

Joy xx

Hi Joy,

Thank you so much for your reply- I was afraid you might say that! I know the importance of social media but up until now I haven’t had to rely on it for marketing, hence don’t have active accounts. I know from face to face market sales, our customers like to feel our items and we encourage this as they are so tactile, so I have a bit of battle (with myself) to succumb to social media.

Do you think it is worth signing up to social media before this craft market, or have I left it too late? I am assuming, no followers, no interest!

I think for the market it’s not your followers but those of Folksy and Pedddle which will be putting your things out there… but you absolutely have to have an IG account to take part.

The important thing when selling online is to have excellent photos. and descriptions as that is all the customer can see instead of the face to face market where they can pick up and touch. Just had a look at one of yours, a cactus and that meets those criteria beautifully. So yes get yourself an Instagram account … put a link on your profile to your shop here and get posting lots of pretty pictures. You’ve more than 2 months yet… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Joy- am on it! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

On the weekend this market is running, when someone comes to Folksy to make a purchase via a link from the market, will everyone else on Folksy who is NOT taking part in the market be blocked from making any sales that weekend? I think not!

With so many people being rejected and therefore unable to be in the market, there MUST be a very clear message put on the online market pages informing people that there are a lot more Folksy shops customers can buy from, not just the shops that are in the market, and therefore customers should come to Folksy and look at everyone else’s shops too.

I highly doubt Folksy will block non-market sellers from making sales, that’s bad business and terrible marketing. I imagine their social media will have several posts on/after the market saying something along the lines of ‘found a Folksy seller via the wonderful Pedddle market? There are even more over on Folksy!’ etc etc.

1 Like

I’d disappeared for a few days and just read through the thread since my last posting - I don’t think I’m any the wiser - and I still haven’t heard from Pedddle. Though it’s early days, I would like to know how/what I’m doing beforehand. It isn’t clear in the blurb the difference as to what pedddle members and what Folksy only members can do, until I can get in it and see. All these different online markets are doing things their own ways and no two are the same - I’m completely cabbaged (doesn’t take much!) I just wish they’d explain it in a simplified way and let me get on with it. I just want as much online exposure as I can get as I don’t do this well, I’m so much better doing in-person craft fairs talking directly to people. I don’t do Pedddle in real life as I only do inside markets (health issues) and Pedddle do outdoor generally, so they’re not much use to me without Folksy but I can’t say I’m impressed with them. I’ve been told here (somwhere online) that they’re very approachable and helpful and say that they’ll answer queries - it’s a fortnight since my email query for a bit more explanation - complete silence. It would be so much better if Folksy could do something of their own without having Pedddle organise it but I suppose they’re seen as a wider audience, so hopefully it will be worth the angst.

1 Like

I’m Not Folksy admin but I can 100% guarantee that Nobody will be blocked from selling from their normal Folksy shop whether part of the market or not. That would be just plain Silly. Why on earth would they do that.
This market is not to give special support to those who want to join the market but to provide some extra promotion for them.

Folksy is a Brilliant selling platform and all shops are equal.

1 Like

You may find a reply to your queries in your Instagram messages. Almost all my communication, including a very quick response to an email message has been through Instagram :blush:

You’ve misread my post. Of course Folksy is not going to block other shops from making sales and that is exactly my point:

will everyone else on Folksy who is NOT taking part in the market be blocked from making any sales that weekend? I think not!

There are a lot of sellers on here complaining that they have been rejected from taking part in the market. What I am saying is that it doesn’t matter, because when customers come to Folksy via a link from the market they will be able to look at and purchase from other shops, not just the ones in the market.

What Folksy should do is put a clear message on the market pages that there are more shops to choose from so they should come to Folksy anyway even if they don’t see a shop in the market that takes their fancy, because there are a lot more shops on Folksy than the ones taking part in the market.

1 Like

There are a lot of sellers on here complaining that they have been rejected from taking part in the market.

As I understand it, you cannot be rejected from taking part in the market and you do not need to be a member of Pedddle to do so. So anyone who wants to take part can.

However, you could also have applied to join Pedddle which gives you access to more than just the Folksy market, and this is selective. I think Pedddle have a very good idea of who their customer is and what they are likely to buy and so quite rightly do not accept as members and take money from people whose work does not fit that niche. It doesn’t mean that the work is not good, just that it is not in keeping with their ‘house style’ if you like. But if you were accepted, paid up, and your work didn’t ‘fit’ then you might also feel quite aggrieved.

2 Likes

But they do take money from you before rejecting, then you have to wait for a refund that is unprofessional. I have never applied for anything where you have to pay in advance. That is what I got annoyed about and why I would not and will never pay to join their markets.

2 Likes

Well I’ve sort of had a look (I’m not brilliant with instagram) and I can’t find any messages anywhere from Pedddle. I would’ve thought an email sent would be an email response, especially since the link from them in the first place was via email but they’re so instagram based, you’re probably right. Any hint as to where I should look?

My reply was in my general messages on IG, although that was after I had been accepted as a member.

Thanks Sam. I don’t think I can have had a response as I’ve looked everywhere - perhaps they’re not going to respond, or at least, not until nearer the time. Disappointing.