What are you reading?

Just been given the third in a series of books, its new out this month but I am more excited as its my cousin who has written it. I am really proud of her. Rachel

3 Likes

Iā€™m reading ā€˜Satan in St.Maryā€™sā€™ by Paul Doherty. Itā€™s a Medieval mystery (one of my fave genres) and is brilliant so far.

Its ok so far only read the first chapter, I preferred How to kill a mocking bird, Frankenstein is what my son choose.

The Glass Palace by Indian writer Amitav Ghosh. Itā€™s set in Burma, Bengal, India, and
Malaya, from the fall of the Konbaung Dynasty in Mandalay, through the Second World War to modern times. I donā€™t feel the characters are very rounded, however the details about life at the time and the historical events are fascinating.

1 Like

Such sad news about Terry Pratchett

3 Likes

It really is. He was a fantastic writer.
One of my all time favourites

2 Likes

Having Death announce his (Terry Pratchetā€™s) death was very appropriate. Iā€™m currently reading Raising Steam and have always promised myself that I would read all the DiscWorld novels in order and now seems like right time. Unfortunately most of my collection is with my parents on the other side of the country and might take a while for me to get back.

3 Likes

I heard about the tweet to announce his passing, it made me chuckle but also shed a tear. I know he will live on for many a generation through his work.

Time to be Earnest by PD James.

Is that good?
Iā€™m looking for a new book for once iv finished Brent weeks prism series

Everyone should read ā€œThe Truthā€ by Terry Pratchett. On one level itā€™s a biting satire about the media and at the same time itā€™s an incredibly entertaining romp through the world of fantasy and laugh out loud funny. I also revisited ā€œWyrd Sistersā€ yesterday, which is also one of my all time favorite books.

Love Sam x

1 Like

I have this problem with my Terry Pratchett books-I lent ā€œMonstrous Regimentā€ to a so-called friend and never got it back :blowfish:

That is the worst thing when that happens.
Iā€™m rereading all my terry prachett books I started after Christmas.
Think iv got three books on the go at the moment
Going postal - terry prachett
Black prism - Brent weeks
The white queen
Oh and a historical one too about henry the 8Ths wives.

Might start Eric after going postal.

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to meet Terry Pratchett back in the mid 90ā€™s. I took my son to an event local to me and my boy managed to get 3 books and the map signed by TP and the illustrator Stephen Briggs.

4 Likes

Just finished ā€œLords and Ladiesā€, and am halfway through Hemmingwayā€™s ā€œFarewell to Armsā€ (reading that one with hubby)

1 Like

Thats lovely to have been able to meet him, I bet your boy was thrilled.

Wow-thatā€™s a lot of reading! I donā€™t usually read two books on the same day, because I like to be faithful :wink: Canā€™t tell you how much I miss the ones that have walked! I may just have to buy them againā€¦

Sam x

Yes itā€™s quite interesting, it a bit of her autobiography. She had a varied life.

Iā€™m reading Stephen Kings Black House at the mo, Iā€™m having trouble getting into it though. Has anyone read it? is it worth persevering?
Donna x

You lucky thing, I would have loved to meet Sir Terry Pratchett! Iā€™ve been reading his books since I was 18 (thatā€™s more years than I care to mention!) I actually shed a tear when I heard heā€™d passed away. You almost feel you know an author when youā€™ve read all their books. I was the same when Anne McCaffrey passed on :cry:
Donna x

4 Likes