Folksy Ltd

What is your business nemesis?

(Wendy Derrick) #1

I am sat in bed with a cold and a hot drink so, seeing as I can’t do much making today and it’s quiet for orders, decided I need to finally face the thing I’m absolutely worst at for my business, marketing and social media!!!

I love all the other aspects of running my business, even get excited about doing the accounts! But marketing leaves me cold. So my plan is to make a list of my social media pages, brain storm the type of topics I think my customers will be interested in, and start planning future posts and articles to write about.

So would be interested in hearing what other people find hardest to do in your business and how you handle it, do you motivate yourself to tackle it, leave it on the back burner, or get someone to do it for you?

(Angela Demarco) #2

I hate photographing my items! I do all the prep, nice backgrounds, good lighting, camera on a tripod etc. But when I’ve taken the shots and am looking through them with the picture editor they alway look so amateurish. I just can’t seem to get it right and I’m sure it puts people off buying (that’s my excuse anyway!) I wish I could afford to have professional shots done. Could someone have a look and give me some advice, other people’s things look so much better than mine :frowning:

(Sarah Eves) #3

@moondaisies - LOVE photographing items, but it is time consuming.
Have you thought about photographing some items outside, using natural light and nature as props?

My nemesis is boundaries.
I work from home, from the front room, and I really struggle with boundaries and a work/home balance.

Sarah x

(Wendy Derrick) #4

I think your photos are really clear and show the product up nicely. Only thing is the white balance is not right so you have grey backgrounds. Are you able to set the white balance on your camera or change the ISO and aperture? If you don’t have those settings, you can adjust the filters and levels on photo editing software and it can work wonders.

(Deborah Jones) #5

bookkeeping and accounts for me , I am terrible for putting it off.
I actually pay an accountant to do my final accounts and tax return as I hate it so much.

(Liz Clark) #6

Marketing is bloody hard work I have to say and I have to swallow my shyness when posting my stuff out on social media. And even though I get really positive responses, my sales don’t reflect it, so it nags away at me that my stuff isn’t actually good enough. I think I am my own nemesis LOL!

(Sara Leigh Thornton) #7

I love creating.

I like marketing, photographing, listing etc

I hate wrapping and queuing in the Post Office! Packing and wrapping seems to take soooo long, and the PO queue is always long - grrr!

(Grimm Exhibition) #8

I hate the nagging sense that theres no point making things because they will go wrong, nobody will like them or buy them and Il have wasted my materials and money.Sadly it often leads to alot of procrastination.
Also advertising. I only add links to FB and Twitter which seems to be pointless.

(Wendy Derrick) #9

Definitely know where you’re coming from, procrastination (or heard someone call it ‘analysis paralysis’ once) really kills the creativity. I guess that fact you’re thinking about it shows you have a creative eye for detail though and high standards.

(Suzanne Francis) #10

my nemesis is not getting enough sleep then procrastination. Im bad at the promoting as well, I’ve got quite a few bits that need listing and promoting - tut tut :open_mouth:

(Birchand Hare) #11

My nemesis is social media - I get Facebook but really don’t get Twitter - and find if I’m not careful I spend so much time on the computer and not time painting my furniture which is where I’d much rather be. I’m a bit of a procrastinator too :frowning:

(Angela Demarco) #12

That’s a good idea, weather permitting I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks for taking the trouble, much appreciated. Your photographs are beautiful, well done :smile:

(Angela Demarco) #13

Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look at my photographs. You are right of course, the backgrounds do tend to come out grey which tends to make the colours appear less bright than they really are. I struggle to get enough light on the subjects, I guess you really need bright photographic lights in order to get that really crisp image. I’ll try your suggestions and see how I get on - guess practice makes perfect. Thanks again, really kind of you.

(Christine Shephard) #14

I used to have the same problems getting the photos light and the colours bright. Even though I have a good camera, and even sell some of my landscape and art photos, I really struggle with product photography and hate that part of the process. I eventually got hold of an old version of photoshop elements (which is the basic version) that cost very little and, after a bit of practise, can now produce much brighter photos. I recommend it to anyone - play around with the brightness and the colour saturation especially, you’ll be amazed at the results.

(Maggie Gee Needlework Studio) #15

Firstly - hope that cold is feeling better! Poor You! …Funnily enough I could talk for England here, but I do find ‘small talk’ very hard and often wonder why on earth anyone would really want to know what I was doing! …however, if you trade on the Internet, then it is your home!! It is very strange you should bring this subject up as I am contemplating starting a Blog, but just find the idea a bit self indulgent and am just not sure why anyone would want to read about me!!!..

(Wendy Derrick) #16

Feeling a little better today thank you, still on the hot ribenas though :smile:

I know exactly where you’re coming from, I think that’s also why I struggle with the marketing thing too. But I read somewhere that it’s important to shift your mindset from believing it to be ‘self indulgent’ or ‘me’ to more about connecting, sharing and inspiring others. I’ve read some great blog posts and felt really inspired by the writer sharing their processes, ideas, knowledge and even their failures, and not ever thought of them as being self indulgent. That’s something we seem to worry about when it’s our own blog, but not notice it in others :blush:

Hope you share a link to your blog on here if you start it as would love to follow it.

(Angela Demarco) #17

Great suggestion, the photo editor I use is pretty basic and I struggle to get the clarity that jewellery photographs require. Will certainly try photoshop as that seems to be the most recommended software. Thanks for taking the trouble to help, I really appreciate it : By the way, your photos are very professional looking, well done - great shop.

(Christine Shephard) #18

Thank you Angela @moondaisies. It’s taken me 3 years to get there, and I’m still re-taking some of my older photos. I don’t think I’ll ever be happy with them :smile:

(Roz) #19

Packaging - hate it, no matter how I package things I never feel happy. I don’t like having lots of unpackaged items on my stall at craft fairs as I feel they get tatty when handled a lot but items never look their best, or even obvious what they are, when packaged.

(Maggie Gee Needlework Studio) #20

I’ve done it! . … www.maggiegee.weebly.com…I think! Xxxxx