What makes you feel like a 'proper' business?

Morning, hope everyone’s doing really well today.

I was just talking to my husband about how, although I’ve been sandblasting glass for years, I sometimes don’t feel as if it’s a ‘proper’ business. I sell and get commissions all the time and it’s doing fine but I don’t seem to be able to get over this hurdle so I wondered what is it that makes you feel as if you have a ‘proper’ business, or do you have the same problem as me?! Would love to know your views!

Many thanks

Becky x

1 Like

Hmmmm, I’d say I first felt like a proper business when I filled out my first SA Tax form!

However now I’d define it as potentially making a living from it (but I would need to put a lot more effort into it, which I don’t due to my other job that does help pay the bills).

2 Likes

When I’ve got to fill my tax return at the end of the financial year, even though I haven’t made any profit. That makes me feel like a real business.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t think I do feel like a proper business but I love it. :grin:

2 Likes

I feel like a proper business with each sale and commission. I feel like I’m just playing around and having fun while I’m making though :yum:

1 Like

I think when a stranger orders from me through my little shop I feel like a proper business. They don’t know me, yet they feel that the product I make is just what they have been looking for and worth the price I sell it for. It’s different with friends as you don’t know if they are buying from you just to support you and be kind ( and I really don’t mind if they do!), or because they feel they ought. But with an unknown customer, they are buying from you because they believe your product is perfect.
I also feel ‘real’ when someone asks if I have a card with my details on. Makes it feel official!!
What we all like!!
We make, we sell therefore we are a business.
Now to get on with my other job, cooking the supper!!
Suzzie x

3 Likes

I feel like a proper business when I place my dolls in their tissue papered box and send them off to their new homes. I love every bit of the process of making them - from sewing and stuffing their lovely soft doll skin bodies, sculpting their faces, going out on little trips to choose lovely fabric for their clothes, taking photographs of them to share, chatting with customers and most of all writing stories about them every evening for my Facebook business page. Yes, I do think of myself as a business, even though I’m very small but oh I do get an enormous amount of pleasure from it too. :blush:

3 Likes

When someone messages me and asks if I can make an order for 60 dishes.
And I think about it and then say, yes of course I can.

And afterwards when they’re all laid out looking exceedingly pretty, I think, “Did I make those” ?
I never expected to be the sort of person who made things that people would want to buy. It gives me a warm feeling inside every time somebody does. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I often think that if there were a prize (however unnecessary) for enjoying every aspect of one’s shop, it should go to you Martine - you obviously have SO much fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha - thank you. My little shop is looking a bit bare at the moment because I’m busy getting ready for Autumn - my sewing room at the moment is full of lovely Autumn colours and fabrics with little foxes and hedgehogs. Autumn is my favourite season - so I’m in my element :blush:

1 Like

Just had a look at your shop and I love your shop banner - so colourful that it makes you smile just looking at it :blush: